For all of you bowl game veterans...

Stanzi

Do you recommend going with one of the bowl packages, or is it better to plan it on your own? My wife and I are planning on going to whatever bowl game Iowa ends up in, but I've only been to bowl games with my dad when he was the one doing the planning/paying since I was still in school. Any recommendations for what you've found is best?

If you do it all on your own you will spend less money, most likely. If you go with a charter, you get what you pay for...which is pretty much hassle free, no worrying about driving, drinking and driving, parking, rental car, game tix, touching your luggage after you load it onto the plane in Iowa, etc.

Again, it's pricier via the charter way...but it's a pretty awesome way to go if you can swing it.

Couple questions. 1) what would be a ballpark price to budget for a charter trip to the bowl game for a family of 4? 2) How soon do you have to make a decision in order to be included in a charter? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Been to Outback Bowl twice. IMO, best overall experience in Tampa, compared to San Antonio, Orlando and Miami.

Jon is right. Charter is more experience, but you have no worries.

We planned a trip the last Outback, and we had to stay at 2 different hotels in a 4-day period, which may not sound like much of a hassle, but there were 4 of us traveling, and the La Quinta double beds were quite small, and we ended up paying for another room.
The Tampa Marriott was awesome. Then, the Syracuse basketball team was staying in that hotel. I didn't see Boeheim, but saw the trainers and some players.
Parking near Ybor City on New Year's Eve can be tricky.

I"m a person who likes to plan everything on my own, so I'll be planning it myself.

What about a person who actually lives in Tampa (me) who doesn't need lodging, transportation, etc?

As long as I'm in the Iowa section I'll be happy, but it would be nice not to be in the top row of the upper deck.. Any recommendations on where to get the best selection of tickets (and hopefully not overpay)?

What about a person who actually lives in Tampa (me) who doesn't need lodging, transportation, etc?

As long as I'm in the Iowa section I'll be happy, but it would be nice not to be in the top row of the upper deck.. Any recommendations on where to get the best selection of tickets (and hopefully not overpay)?

Let a few hawk fans stay at your place in exchange for a ticket and booze... Win win

Here is the seating chart for those of you going to the game. If you purchase through the University of Iowa, you'll be in the Orange sections, all depending on your priority. Obviously, on the Iowa sideline of course.

The picture is self explanatory.
rjs_diagram.gif

I live Orlando area, just going to head over and try to "buy on the fly". Even if I don't score a ticket, I can raid a tailgate or two with an "open bottle"!

So all you OUtback bowl veterans, are the upper deck seats to be avoided because they are nosebleed and a telescopic view from the field?

my advice do not buy tickets here wait till you get there before kickoff and scallpers will be selling them for 20 bucks! been to 3 bowl games have never paid over 30 dollars and have never sat worse than the 30 yard line

So all you OUtback bowl veterans, are the upper deck seats to be avoided because they are nosebleed and a telescopic view from the field?
Hey thats what we do.
I have issues with people, I think I have said that before. Crowds, dont get me started.
So I got to met a wonderful couple who have Maryland and Rutgers left to see. I did not mind the crowd because I am up and not packed in.
The view is nice.
But, I have always been taught that **** rolls down hill.

I have been to 6 of past 7 bowl games and always plan the trip. Usually 4-5 family adult members go. With this many people in a family going it is much cheaper to do your own planning. If i was extremely old or had more money than I knew what to do with I would go by charter. Everything done for you.
On side note the Outback bowl is a good one to go to. This and Alamo are my two favorite.

Been to five bowls

Three Outbacks
One Cap-1
One Insight

Never have done the package trip, but at my age (55), I wouldn't mind it.
Doing it myself, the flights and motels were the easy part. Getting decent tickets took timing and luck.

Also, agree whole heartily with those who give a thumbs up to the Outback venue. It's been my favorite by a long shot.

Outback is awesome! Never done the Charter. Not really much of a fan of other people telling me what to do or when to do it. Even at Holiday prices, you can do well in Florida with lodging. That being said, I am not a drinker, so I don't really have an issue with driving or parking by bars and don't really want to be packed into a hotel with others who are.

Been to 2 Outbacks and went to Ybor City events and beach day each time and had no problems, but did a bit of planning first.

I also have stopped buying the Iowa ticket allotment tickets. Outback people are notorious for selling committee seats cheap.

It makes me mad that these bowls force schools to sell the worse seats in the stadium. Could you imagine if the fan base's on each side bought nothing but the schools tickets? You would have the corners and the upper decks jammed packed with fans with the best seats practically empty.

Went to the first Outback Bowl when we played Florida. Got out tickets through the U and they were in the upper level, but the seat were still pretty decent.

The view is good, but they are very high. Get the club seats if you can. Padded seats and access to an indoor bar area with TVs.

Latest posts