Final 10 Minutes of Iowa vs G'town 1980.

MelroseHawkins

It is very interesting watching and thrilling. It's interesting watching a game without the 3 pt line and how diligent they are about getting a shot in the lane. Also, there is no shot clock. Makes one wonder how the game would be played today without either. I suspect and inside presence with bigs would still be utilized.

That was the greatest Iowa game I've ever watched. Thrilling, especially when we had to come back to win it and were underdogs. I will always believe we would have won the National Championship that year if Ronnie Lester had not gotten injured.

That was the greatest Iowa game I've ever watched. Thrilling, especially when we had to come back to win it and were underdogs. I will always believe we would have won the National Championship that year if Ronnie Lester had not gotten injured.
Absolutely we would have. And we would have cruised through the B1G with two blemishes tops.

Ronnie's presence on the floor obviously inspired everyone else, but physically he was at about 60%. I think that would have been good enough to knock off Louisville had he finished the game.

Kevin Boyle felt his loss the most. He failed to score that day. And never recovered from it.

Absolutely we would have. And we would have cruised through the B1G with two blemishes tops.

Ronnie's presence on the floor obviously inspired everyone else, but physically he was at about 60%. I think that would have been good enough to knock off Louisville had he finished the game.

Kevin Boyle felt his loss the most. He failed to score that day. And never recovered from it.
I would add that if he were playing with today's medical procedures available, he would have been in much better shape and missed a lot less time.

I was a 3rd year pharmacy student at Iowa and watched Iowa in person all year.

And of course, I watched this game with about 20 guys.

As others had said, had Lester been healthy, Hawks would have been natty champs.

Vince had one spot on the court that he attempted about 90% of his shots from. And he shot the daylights out of it.

And good Gawd, what a sweet jumper Ronnie had.

1 3 ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL (Part 2) –•– Pink Floyd (Columbia)-10 (1 week at #1) (1)
2 2 LONGER –•– Dan Fogelberg (Full Moon)-15 (2)
3 1 CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE –•– Queen (Elektra)-14 (1)
4 4 DESIRE –•– Andy Gibb (RSO)-9 (4)
5 6 WORKING MY WAY BACK TO YOU / FORGIVE ME GIRL (Medley) –•– The Spinners (Atlantic)-15 (5)
6 5 ON THE RADIO –•– Donna Summer (Casablanca)-11 (5)
7 8 HIM –•– Rupert Holmes (MCA)-10 (7)
8 9 THE SECOND TIME AROUND –•– Shalamar (Solar)-16 (8)
9 10 TOO HOT –•– Kool and the Gang (De-Lite)-10 (9)
10 11 HOW DO I MAKE YOU –•– Linda Ronstadt (Asylum)-8 (10)

11 12 CALL ME –•– Blondie (Chrysalis)-6 (11)
12 7 YES, I’M READY –•– Teri DeSario with K.C. (Casablanca)-19 (2)
13 14 SPECIAL LADY –•– Ray, Goodman and Brown (Polydor)-9 (13)
14 17 RIDE LIKE THE WIND –•– Christopher Cross (Warner Brothers)-6 (14)
15 15 REFUGEE –•– Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (Backstreet)-9 (15)
16 18 I CAN’T TELL YOU WHY –•– The Eagles (Asylum)-5 (16)
17 20 OFF THE WALL –•– Michael Jackson (Epic)-6 (17)
18 19 GIVE IT ALL YOU GOT –•– Chuck Mangione (A&M)-10 (18)
19 24 FIRE LAKE –•– Bob Seger (Capitol)-5 (19)
20 22 THREE TIMES IN LOVE –•– Tommy James (Millenium)-9 (20)

21 13 DO THAT TO ME ONE MORE TIME –•– The Captain and Tennille (Casablanca)-23 (1)
22 25 WITH YOU I’M BORN AGAIN –•– Billy Preston and Syreeta (Motown)-16 (22)
23 16 DAYDREAM BELIEVER –•– Anne Murray (Capitol)-14 (12)
24 23 HEARTBREAKER –•– Pat Benatar (Chrysalis)-14 (23)
25 32 LOST IN LOVE –•– Air Supply (Arista)-7 (25)
26 31 SEXY EYES –•– Dr. Hook (Capitol)-6 (26)
27 53 YOU MAY BE RIGHT –•– Billy Joel (Columbia)-2 (27)
28 21 AN AMERICAN DREAM –•– The Dirt Band (United Artists)-16 (13)
29 26 99 –•– Toto (Columbia)-14 (26)
30 27 ROCK WITH YOU –•– Michael Jackson (Epic)-21 (1)

Top 30 songs on the date of the game :)

1 3 ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL (Part 2) –•– Pink Floyd (Columbia)-10 (1 week at #1) (1)
5 6 WORKING MY WAY BACK TO YOU / FORGIVE ME GIRL (Medley) –•– The Spinners (Atlantic)-15 (5)

21 13 DO THAT TO ME ONE MORE TIME –•– The Captain and Tennille (Casablanca)-23 (1)

Funny thing is that I was really into music and I don't really remember a bunch of those songs. I was all about the Hawks then.

Lester was remembered for breaking down D's on the drive, but what was evident in this how he created just by knowing where to pass.

Boyle never played with Lester or Special K again. K brought a physical presence and Boyle was small for what he was tasked with. Could that guy play D though. Waite was not as physical as Special K, but really moved well for his size. Brookins I always thought was held back from what he could do, but didn't really have to do with Lester out there.

Kenny I always thought was underappreciated when compared to Lester. Lester had Special K and Arnold. Arnold when running things never had Lester and Special K.

Great times with a coach that could be respected.

I forgot being nervous with Hansen at the line as he was terrible that year at FTs though he had good shooting form. He came through in this game. GTowns size and tenacity on D surprises me on this video. as you really don't see it that much today.

Younger fans don't really understand how smooth Lester was and he and Arnold set a standard that is hard to match and certainly has been a long time missing.

Lester was remembered for breaking down D's on the drive, but what was evident in this how he created just by knowing where to pass.

Boyle never played with Lester or Special K again. K brought a physical presence and Boyle was small for what he was tasked with. Could that guy play D though. Waite was not as physical as Special K, but really moved well for his size. Brookins I always thought was held back from what he could do, but didn't really have to do with Lester out there.

Kenny I always thought was underappreciated when compared to Lester. Lester had Special K and Arnold. Arnold when running things never had Lester and Special K.

Great times with a coach that could be respected.

I forgot being nervous with Hansen at the line as he was terrible that year at FTs though he had good shooting form. He came through in this game. GTowns size and tenacity on D surprises me on this video. as you really don't see it that much today.

Younger fans don't really understand how smooth Lester was and he and Arnold set a standard that is hard to match and certainly has been a long time missing.
Another guard may have been able to step up and assume a bigger role when Lester went down.

Isiah Thomas.

Iowa was high on his list. We were even higher on his mother Mary's list. Mary was close friends with both Bobbi Olsen and Nadine Lester. But...

Bobby Knight had an incident in November, 1978 at the Great Alaska Shootout and had to dismiss three players from his team. He needed guards, and offered to Isiah what Lute couldn’t guarantee-the opportunity to start immediately.

Thomas ended up at Indiana and the rest is history. Lester before his knee issues was just as good. Dead even.

Not on that list was "Romeo's Tune" by Steve Forbert. I remember music critics pumping him up like he was the next Bob Dylan.

Oops!

He was basically a one hit wonder.

Last edited:
Another guard may have been able to step up and assume a bigger role when Lester went down.

Isiah Thomas.

Iowa was high on his list. We were even higher on his mother Mary's list. Mary was close friends with both Bobbi Olsen and Nadine Lester. But...

Bobby Knight had an incident in November, 1978 at the Great Alaska Shootout and had to dismiss three players from his team. He needed guards, and offered to Isiah what Lute couldn’t guarantee-the opportunity to start immediately.

Thomas ended up at Indiana and the rest is history. Lester before his knee issues was just as good. Dead even.
Yup, that was terribly disappointing. Thomas got a championship out of it and probably needed counseling afterward. Maybe Knight was good for Thomas at that time. Who was the Iowa player that Thomas got into an altercation with?

Yup, that was terribly disappointing. Thomas got a championship out of it and probably needed counseling afterward. Maybe Knight was good for Thomas at that time. Who was the Iowa player that Thomas got into an altercation with?
Special-K. I was at that game.
Fieldhouse crowd got so testy they had to get IT off the court.
Same game...somebody threw a tennis ball at Knight from the upper deck, nearly missing him.

What was his injury exactly?
He originally got hurt at Dayton just before Christmas. He tried to come back about six games into B1G season, played one full game before he got hurt again, and had to shut it down. Somewhere in there he had an arthroscopic procedure that with 1980 medical technology probably should have ended his season.

He came back for senior night and played in the NCAA'S until he got hurt again by a Roger Burckman undercut. He was under strict orders from Lute to not drive to the bucket, to pull up and settle for the jumper. But when he found himself alone on a breakaway instinct took over.

The knee problems dampened what should have been a spectacular NBA career, but he did last long enough to get a ring for the Lakers in 1985 as backup to Magic and Michael Cooper.

Hansen. Isiah basically gave him a flying elbow from behind at the Fieldhouse. Thomas and Knight both got T'd.

Indiana got the championship you mentioned in 1981 when Indiana finally gelled late, but Iowa swept them in the season series.

This was the heyday of Bob Hogue and the IOWA TELEVISION NETWORK!!!, as Hogue would remind us approximately 3,768 times a night.

OH MY!. At least Bob didn't go downtown after games and score young co-eds like his successor Bob Healey did.

He originally got hurt at Dayton just before Christmas. He tried to come back about six games into B1G season, played one full game before he got hurt again, and had to shut it down. Somewhere in there he had an arthroscopic procedure that with 1980 medical technology probably should have ended his season.

He came back for senior night and played in the NCAA'S until he got hurt again by a Roger Burckman undercut. He was under strict orders from Lute to not drive to the bucket, to pull up and settle for the jumper. But when he found himself alone on a breakaway instinct took over.

The knee problems dampened what should have been a spectacular NBA career, but he did last long enough to get a ring for the Lakers in 1985 as backup to Magic and Michael Cooper.
I don't remember hearing what he injured.