Ferentz interview

"I hope that someday, everybody's really happy I did stay around," Ferentz said. "Maybe right now they're not."

I was like: maybe he does understand..

"Everybody was happy a couple of years ago," Ferentz said. "If you're going to do this, be prepared for some ebbs and flows. What's important is what can we do to get everybody happy again? We want to put smiles on faces."

Then, I was like: Nope, he doesn't get it.

Hugely disappointing series of statements:

A more aggressive offensive attack won't be part of the new-look Hawkeyes.
"My suggestion would be it's more about how you play than the style of play you choose," Ferentz said.
"Look at Wisconsin and Michigan State, two teams that we need to be able to compete with. The way they play seems to be working pretty good for them."
Ferentz can already hear the grumbling over those words.
"I've read a lot about throwing the ball deep," Ferentz said. "Heaven forbid, why would you do that? Everyone wants to spread. Do a throw chart on spread offenses. How many balls are going downfield? Twenty years ago it was the run-and-shoot, right? Or the Buddy Ryan defense. Whatever's the flavor of the day."

To this I would say that the "How" to the "Style" Iowa runs is ultra-conservative and debilitating at times. I simply do not understand this man's OCD-like level of risk aversion. It makes easy to defend and to be attacked. Very disappointing if we really remain status quo.

Whether you support our HC or don't, the reason for or against has boiled down to our ultra conservative approach and how that allows lesser teams stay close and beat us. Losing games we shouldn't due to not being aggressive and playing to kick our opponents in the face on the scoreboard.

This interview isn't going to change the minds of, or elicit more support from, detractors.

If If If they can run the ball better. Get 2nd and 4 and 3rd and shorts they can and would have a good year. If they can't and try to run it much like last year they'll struggle. You can't have it be 3rd and 8 all the time with the style he wants to play with. Not to mention you have to mix in some big plays. You can't expect an offense to grind out 10 play drives all game long either. As fun (sarcasm) as it is to see a team methodically just drive up and down on a team and kick field goals it just isn't going to win you games now a days. We had a couple games last year where they had some great explosive plays. But the D gave up way more than their fair share too.

Hang in there, guys ... only about 3 months 'till basketball starts.

In the meantime, try to enjoy (and encourage) CJ to go complete rogue on derKirkFeravis. That dynamic will be the highlight of the season and I'm hoping it's reminiscent of Tate vs O-Keefe.

$1,000,000-? ... when Beathard goes offscript and turns a "run head-first into the 8 man box on 3rd & 5 from the opponents 40 so the punt sets up good defensive field position" call into a 1st down and eventual touchdown, does derKirkFer compliment or chastise him in the post game?

In all seriousness, he really does believe 2002-2004 and 2009 has bought himself a lifetime pass to be mediocre at best....problem is, he really thinks he's still doing a decent job and cannot understand the criticism. He sometimes says he understands the criticism, but I really do not believe he does.

In the meantime, try to enjoy (and encourage) CJ to go complete rogue on derKirkFeravis. That dynamic will be the highlight of the season and I'm hoping it's reminiscent of Tate vs O-Keefe.

$1,000,000-? ... when Beathard goes offscript and turns a "run head-first into the 8 man box on 3rd & 5 from the opponents 40 so the punt sets up good defensive field position" call into a 1st down and eventual touchdown, does derKirkFer compliment or chastise him in the post game?

Really the only compelling thing about the upcoming season I'm interested in seeing. Just how rouge CJ is gonna go. If I was him I'd be checking out of every moron play Kirk sends in and winging it. What's Kirk gonna do? See if he can recruit Christensen back to throw his dump passes into the turf?

Kirk's moron handling of the QB situation has left him without a fallback option and pulling CJ for any reason will only show he cares more about doing things his way than imploding the season with an ill-prepared and equipped backup.

He will chastise him for scoring too much. That's not nice to run the score up on your opponents. It will hurt their wittle fewings.

Re: -----"Everybody was happy a couple of years ago."

Nice math Kurt....2009 was not 2 years ago.

I know what you are saying but I think KF meant fans were pretty happy after the 2013 season bounceback from 2012, and beating michigan and whomping Nebby to end the regular season.

I am not giving KF a pass with what I just said as you can imagine how much better the feelings would be right now if KF opened it up last year, CJ got some important playing time and the hawks won 9 games instead of 7 or even 10 games.

All my hawk fan friends are like me and just really tired of the boring offense, the lack of attacking offensive style, not taking risks, etc. Last years Ball State games was a summary of all that is wrong with KF's offense, play boring conservative ball then open it up at the end to eke out a win against a lesser team.

Phil Parker's defense isnt always the best but he at least is attacking more which can lead to big plays.

Haven't you guys been paying attention. Kirk has admitted the new facilities have distracted him from focusing full time on actually coaching football. It sounds like he did everything from design to picking out urinal cakes, so I think we need to cut him some slack. He's now focused. That's good thing number one.

Good thing number two is that I think he's finally come to the realization that he has to deliver or he's gone. I honestly believe that. Season tickets declining, hot seat coaches lists, and wins per salary figures are all facts he has to be aware of. The fact that our head cheerleader Gary Barta has also expressed a certain measure of displeasure publicly should also send a message. If that guy is disappointed, well, the tea leaves are really going against you.

I'm willing to give KF this year to see if this renewed focus and realization actually drives home that he's got to deliver. The reality is, we are pretty young in 2015, so if he can get this team to play to their potential, he's going to have alot of pressure to really deliver in 2016. There will be a ton of talent back in 2016.

Haven't you guys been paying attention. Kirk has admitted the new facilities have distracted him from focusing full time on actually coaching football. It sounds like he did everything from design to picking out urinal cakes, so I think we need to cut him some slack. He's now focused. That's good thing number one.

Good thing number two is that I think he's finally come to the realization that he has to deliver or he's gone. I honestly believe that. Season tickets declining, hot seat coaches lists, and wins per salary figures are all facts he has to be aware of. The fact that our head cheerleader Gary Barta has also expressed a certain measure of displeasure publicly should also send a message. If that guy is disappointed, well, the tea leaves are really going against you.

I'm willing to give KF this year to see if this renewed focus and realization actually drives home that he's got to deliver. The reality is, we are pretty young in 2015, so if he can get this team to play to their potential, he's going to have alot of pressure to really deliver in 2016. There will be a ton of talent back in 2016.

WOTC, I completely disagree with your first item. kfootball is Iowa's head FOOTBALL coach, not lead fundraiser, or assistant AD. His job is to win football games and any other priority placed in front of winning games is derelict.

Just remember when this man talks, Iowa was the only D1 program in all the land and possibly ever holding a QB competition in a bowl game.

Execution, that's football...

Hugely disappointing series of statements:

A more aggressive offensive attack won't be part of the new-look Hawkeyes.
"My suggestion would be it's more about how you play than the style of play you choose," Ferentz said.
"Look at Wisconsin and Michigan State, two teams that we need to be able to compete with. The way they play seems to be working pretty good for them."
Ferentz can already hear the grumbling over those words.
"I've read a lot about throwing the ball deep," Ferentz said. "Heaven forbid, why would you do that? Everyone wants to spread. Do a throw chart on spread offenses. How many balls are going downfield? Twenty years ago it was the run-and-shoot, right? Or the Buddy Ryan defense. Whatever's the flavor of the day."

To this I would say that the "How" to the "Style" Iowa runs is ultra-conservative and debilitating at times. I simply do not understand this man's OCD-like level of risk aversion. It makes easy to defend and to be attacked. Very disappointing if we really remain status quo.

Hello Mcfly, MSU averaged 44 points a game last year, Bucky Badge averaged 34, MSU chucked the ball all over the field in their comeback victory against Baylor. The biggest failing of this coach is he acts like the fans are completely ignorant to what is going on this day and age in college football.

Iowa plays the most boring ball in all the land hands down.

Execution, that's football...

Proof he surrounds himself with "yes" men if he really has no idea how bad it is with the fans. KF, you are a punchline for F's sake!

Latest posts