Ferentz as wrestling coach

Gibsonian

Ever think of this one? Think it would go something like this:

With the Iowa senior, the second best wrestler on the team in his weight class, is ranked in the top 10 against an unranked freshman, up 4-1 at the end of the 1st period in the dual with ISU, I think it would go something like this:

Coach: Good job Jim.
Wrestler: Thanks coach
Coach: Well, we've got him where we want him, you know what to do now, right?
Wrestler: You mean, keep doing what I've been doing? Keep attacking, go for the stick?
Coach: Um, no Jim. It's time to start playing defensive, let's cut back some on the offense. We really don't want to take any unnecessary risks. Don't worry too much about scoring points, just maintain this lead.
Wrestler: You mean stall?
Coach: Yes, pretty much. Just try to not lose. Got it?
Wrestler: I think I can pin him though coach, if I keep attacking!
Coach: Too risky son. We need this win and if you keep doing what you've been doing, there's too much risk of making a mistake, and then losing. Just play your base D, you got this one.
Wrester, sadly: Yes sir

Now we're at the end of the 2nd period, the match is now tied 4-4. ISU wrestler is confident now, feeling his oats. Iowa wrestler Jim is now tired, winded after spending the 2nd period fighting from the bottom, as he got caught in a takedown after an ISU escape. He is to start the 3rd period from the down position.

Coach: Just need the escape, hold on, let the time run out, and we will win this one Jim.
Wrestler: (Breathing very hard and feeling a lot less confident than after the 1st period). Ok coach.

Jim escapes in the 3rd period only to be taken down right before match end. Loses to the unranked freshman, 6-5.

Coach: We'll get him next time Jim, just need to work on our fundamentals some more. If we practice the same moves over and over you will get better.
Wrestler: No reply, he sullenly walks to the shower.

Little different than Brands would've handled it, eh?

Latest posts