Fake Punt.....

That was a really bonehead series. You only run on third there if you plan on going for it on fourth. Then you decide to take a penalty and make a punter throw a 20 yard pass instead? If that wasn’t bad enough the route was 10 yards short of the line to gain. That might actually make the c’mon man segment on MNF.

Question the circumstances to use this fake punt more than the actual design of the play and sequence leading up to it. We might actually need something like this in a more crucial situation this season but now it's likely others will be prepared for that trickery.

Brian probably had Taylor over throwing on the sidelines prior to coming in ............just kidding.

I'm gonna use this thread to bitch about the play calling a little bit. I don't get why BF doesn't call for more QB sneaks in short yardage situations. IIRC it was ran one time and I think Petras picked up 4 yards and it was not called again even though there were plenty of situations that they could have used it. The line has a center that is probably going to be starting on Sundays next year, USE HIM!

I'm gonna use this thread to bitch about the play calling a little bit. I don't get why BF doesn't call for more QB sneaks in short yardage situations. IIRC it was ran one time and I think Petras picked up 4 yards and it was not called again even though there were plenty of situations that they could have used it. The line has a center that is probably going to be starting on Sundays next year, USE HIM!
He got 5.

But seriously. Iowa ran their base offense yesterday, and their base defense. Petras had two really nice throws. Nothing dangerous. Iowa didn't try to take any shots - no corner fades to the endzone, no skinny posts to the middle of the field off play action. It was even in pass attempts to runs.

They went out, leaned on KSU, and came away with 28 points, and the defense came away with -5. That's getting it done. 9 wins in a row. 25 games in a row holding opponents to 25 points or less. They ran the ball well yesterday. Done, done, on to the next one.

He got 5.

But seriously. Iowa ran their base offense yesterday, and their base defense. Petras had two really nice throws. Nothing dangerous. Iowa didn't try to take any shots - no corner fades to the endzone, no skinny posts to the middle of the field off play action. It was even in pass attempts to runs.

They went out, leaned on KSU, and came away with 28 points, and the defense came away with -5. That's getting it done. 9 wins in a row. 25 games in a row holding opponents to 25 points or less. They ran the ball well yesterday. Done, done, on to the next one.

That "base" offense should include some quarterback sneaks. No need to hide a play like that, everyone in the country knows Iowa runs it.

Iowa is in the top 5, it's time for style points. BTW, if KSU doesn't fumble that ball in the endzone that game could have turned out completely different. I think there is room for criticism and opportunities to get better.

On paper, no...but who would have guessed you fake after you accept a 5 yd penalty. Well, maybe Kent State. Lol better executed and I don't mind. The throw back to the crossing route might have been a big play.
I don't really have a strong opinion on the fake either way. It was a tune up game, the coaches might have just been in the mood to try something to see if it would work (or, perhaps, to give future opponents something else to have to prepare for - which is a very real thing in the game of coaching).

I will say though that I came away very impressed with Kent State. They struck me as extremely well coached. They were at a significant talent disadvantage at many position groups, but they showed no signs of intimidation and, for the most part, executed very well I thought. They would have given many other P5 teams fits, I think.

I think a lot of fans just see "Kent State" and assume it ought to be a 59-3 affair. There is a big range in quality among mid majors and the good vs bad teams tends to fluctuate a lot over the years. Sean Lewis is a real up and comer. Beating those guys 30-7 is, I suspect, much more of an accomplishment than most Hawk fans are giving credit for.

It was simply to prevent future teams from going after Taylor 100%. Why do it against Kent State? Because if it fails it won't burn you. Now when the Hawks take that delay in the future for the punt, Taylor maybe gets an extra half second or second to do his magic.

Latest posts