Expectations for Sandfort and Mulvey?

I

Ian Pike Hammer

What are they?
Minutes per game?
PPg?
Can they play defense?

Sandfort I would say his ceiling might be kinda what JW was as a freshman. If he's good enough to play 25 plus mins he could hit 10 pts- 4 boards a game something like that. How tall is he? If he's closer to 6'8 or so he's gotta be more of a 3 then 2. But if he's closer to 6'6 He could take some mins at the 2. I don't think he'll get that many mins right away just due to competition at those positions though. If he does that means he's pretty damn good.

Mulvey I have no clue at all... But if we don't get anymore bodies he'll be thrown in there a lot..

I think both will be competing for minutes all summer and fall with a shitload of other guys. Connor, CJ, Perkins, Keegan, Ulis, Toussaint and Patrick are playing...but how many minutes. There’s room for a couple more...Portal, Kris, The Brit or true freshmen.

I don't have huge expectations for either like most freshman. Mulvey might have to play some minutes because of need. Hopefully he can rebound, screen, and block a few shots. He might be tough out of a pick n roll to the basket with our guards.

If Sandfort can play a similar role of Baer/Murray type of play off the bench than that would be great. Murray outperformed what I expected last year. That would be great to see again.

PS seems to have the same type game as JW. If JW doesn't come back, he'll get a lot more minutes.

Mulvey will get minutes because he's 6'11"

Both will play in our 15 man rotation..............

How many minutes they get will be determined on how the roster shakes out.

Sandfort: If Joe comes back.... 4-8(minutes). If Joe leaves...12-15(minutes). PMac will likely be a starter so I am assuming he will take Pmac's bench minutes.

Mulvey: From what I am reading everyone is tossing around the word 'project'. You can translate that anyway you want. He can probably contribute right away defensively, but is going to be a work in progress on the offensive side. Between the portal/Ogundele/Mulvey they have to get some production out of the 5 spot.

How many minutes they get will be determined on how the roster shakes out.

Sandfort: If Joe comes back.... 4-8(minutes). If Joe leaves...12-15(minutes). PMac will likely be a starter so I am assuming he will take Pmac's bench minutes.

Mulvey: From what I am reading everyone is tossing around the word 'project'. You can translate that anyway you want. He can probably contribute right away defensively, but is going to be a work in progress on the offensive side. Between the portal/Ogundele/Mulvey they have to get some production out of the 5 spot.
3 offensive put-backs will get you 6 points each.

I have doubts about sandfort I can't see much playing time. But from mulvey he. Is. 6 11 but is his body ready for big Ten. he should be a senior next year. So next year small ball for iowa

If JoeW returns it will give this team some offense. If not........... yikes. If Joe W leaves then A LOT of pressure will be on CJ and Murray. Those two will be your main driving pistons in the Hawkeye engine. The negative about that will be that teams will be able to focus on those two players and then what??? Where will the scoring come from??

If Jbo comes back and Connor starts that will be two players who are coming back after surgeries. Anyone who watched the games could see Jbo wasn’t the same after his surgery. He never was blazing lightning anyways but you could tell he had lost a half of a step on the defensive side of things.

So to have two guys out there in the guard position who have had surgery could be very limiting for a team. In my opinion next year will be a year of rebuilding even if JoeW returns. It will be a year of development and discovery as far as the future of the players we have returning and the new ones coming in.

Fran desperately needs a transfer to come In at the post who can be an impact player for next season, but more importantly someone who can lead this team and help the development of this team the following season.

As far as next season goes it’s a wash as far as I am concerned. The thing I will be interested in seeing is the FUTURE of this program especially at the guard positions. If we struggle tremendously it could cause an exodus of what talent is currently there. I have one particular player in mind and possible two if the one leaves (relatively).

We all knew Garza was gone but losing Nunge leaves a HUGE void to fill with very little experience at that position. It’s not unusual for a team or program to slump after losing a Garza type of player from your program. You should expect that next season.

I personally think it would be in the best interest of the FUTURE of this program for the team to start from scratch and just start developing the younger players and pick up two or more players out of the portal that are also young and have shown signs of great potential especially at the post positions.

Murray shows great potential but he will need help. I am concerned a little about a possible sophomore slump after such a great freshman season. For you older guys you will remember the good year that Michael Payne had as a freshmen and how that turned out for him.

As stated in the recent podcast; Connor won’t have Garza or Nunge to feed into the post next year and he isn’t exactly a beacon of offense himself. Connor will return if his recovery goes well but personally I wouldn’t mind if he didn’t along with Jbo and yes even Joe W. I say that in regards for the future development of the younger players in the program. Nothing will develop them quicker then throwing them to the wolves.

Next year is a rebuilding and program development year................ and if Joe W returns well that will help in keeping it from being less embarrassing for the program but I am sure Joe knows that. That surely will play a part in his decision.

I am not trying to be negative here. Just realistic.

I think Mulvey will probably play at least 15 minutes a game, out of necessity if nothing else. I would be surprised if Sandfort is much of a contributor his freshman year. He doesn't have the physicality and unlike Weiskamp his game isn't going to immediately translate to the D1 level.

If JoeW returns it will give this team some offense. If not........... yikes. If Joe W leaves then A LOT of pressure will be on CJ and Murray. Those two will be your main driving pistons in the Hawkeye engine. The negative about that will be that teams will be able to focus on those two players and then what??? Where will the scoring come from??

If Jbo comes back and Connor starts that will be two players who are coming back after surgeries. Anyone who watched the games could see Jbo wasn’t the same after his surgery. He never was blazing lightning anyways but you could tell he had lost a half of a step on the defensive side of things.

So to have two guys out there in the guard position who have had surgery could be very limiting for a team. In my opinion next year will be a year of rebuilding even if JoeW returns. It will be a year of development and discovery as far as the future of the players we have returning and the new ones coming in.

Fran desperately needs a transfer to come In at the post who can be an impact player for next season, but more importantly someone who can lead this team and help the development of this team the following season.

As far as next season goes it’s a wash as far as I am concerned. The thing I will be interested in seeing is the FUTURE of this program especially at the guard positions. If we struggle tremendously it could cause an exodus of what talent is currently there. I have one particular player in mind and possible two if the one leaves (relatively).

We all knew Garza was gone but losing Nunge leaves a HUGE void to fill with very little experience at that position. It’s not unusual for a team or program to slump after losing a Garza type of player from your program. You should expect that next season.

I personally think it would be in the best interest of the FUTURE of this program for the team to start from scratch and just start developing the younger players and pick up two or more players out of the portal that are also young and have shown signs of great potential especially at the post positions.

Murray shows great potential but he will need help. I am concerned a little about a possible sophomore slump after such a great freshman season. For you older guys you will remember the good year that Michael Payne had as a freshmen and how that turned out for him.

As stated in the recent podcast; Connor won’t have Garza or Nunge to feed into the post next year and he isn’t exactly a beacon of offense himself. Connor will return if his recovery goes well but personally I wouldn’t mind if he didn’t along with Jbo and yes even Joe W. I say that in regards for the future development of the younger players in the program. Nothing will develop them quicker then throwing them to the wolves.

Next year is a rebuilding and program development year................ and if Joe W returns well that will help in keeping it from being less embarrassing for the program but I am sure Joe knows that. That surely will play a part in his decision.

I am not trying to be negative here. Just realistic.
I disagree that next year is a rebuilding year no matter what. If JW comes back for his last season, this team will have the tools to contend. Maybe not for a conference title, but it could be a Top 25 team. With a healthy CJ, JW and Murray, you have three guys than can score 20+ and play defense. JT and the other two PGs can all play defense and can all drive and dish. It would have been nice to get Robbins at center, but whomever plays the center position should be as good as Luka on defense and on the boards. And, we may end up just playing a lot of small ball.

If JW goes pro, I agree this team does not have enough juice on the offensive end to do much. He is the key.

I think even without JW next season it is not a rebuilding year. I think it will mean more opportunities for Patrick, Keegan, and others who will have to step up. Obviously I'd be more confident saying that knowing JW was coming back but I don't see him coming back as a rebuild or not rebuild for next season. I'm anxious to see who Fran pulls out of the transfer portal for another big man and you never know, he could pull someone out that could help replace JW if he does move on.

We may well be a young team next year, especially if JW moves on. Assuming steady growth/experience, this team appears to have a lot of potential. Because a core of our players have 2+ years with some valuable court time, the rebuild may come pretty fast. Honestly, with or without JW, next season is a bit of a mystery. But, hey. This is college basketball and every year your team is very different from the last. To me, this is part of the fun.

Latest posts