Drake-UNI Ordered Cancelled by City of St. Louis

GVGiant44

OK, I know this isn't Hawkeye basketball. But with a number of the Big Ten conference tournaments taking place at various venues in the next few days, this should make you sit up and pay attention. Apparently, while UNI had been keeping to proper Missouri Valley COVID regulations and restrictions, the St. Louis City Board of Health had their own policies that were more restrictive - and ordered that those take precedence.

As a result, they ruled that, due to contact tracing, UNI did not have enough players to field a team and ordered the game cancelled. Unlike other such cancellations, this has the effect of a forfeit, as now Drake moves automatically into the semi-finals on Saturday afternoon.

Too bad - that would have been a good game to see. And in Arch Madness, anything can - and usually does happen.

But I do hope the Big Ten gets jurisdictional items cleared up before the tournaments begin, ESPECIALLY in a place like State College this weekend. Apparently both the conference and the team were caught off-guard by this. That cannot happen with the Big Ten tournaments.

strange... i just figured they had an outbreak
The Arch Madness website has issued a press release that details what I wrote. And it must be a Friday night, meaning everybody in the sports journalism world, despite the fact this is high season for sports, has decided to hit the pubs and get back to reporting maybe sometime on Monday. I couldn't find ANYTHING on this, even an acknowledgement that it had happened, anywhere else.

Arch Madness is an event. St. Louis does it right.

Too bad for UNI.
I love everything about that city.

Well not the Cardinals. I only respect them. But some, not all, of their fans and broadcasters have that Nebraska "we invented the game" mentality.

Kind of a rough stretch for basketball in the state of Iowa:

- Iowa locks up double bye in Big Ten Tourney, but loses Wieskamp in the process
- Iowa St goes oh-for-the-league
- UNI yanked out of the MVC tourney
- Drake loses MVC championship game and will be hoping to make the NIT as a 25-4 at large

- Iowa locks up double bye in Big Ten Tourney, but loses Wieskamp in the process
- Drake loses MVC championship game and will be hoping to make the NIT as a 25-4 at large

or

Wieskamp could be back by Big Ten tourney.
ISU sucks who cares
UNI was done when Green went down.
Drake still has a shot they had to get to the championship game and they got there....some hope.

I assume you mean NCAA not NIT. If the NCAA truly gives consideration to injuries they are likely in. If not they still have a decent shot. But they should cheer for chalk in conference tournaments.

I assume you mean NCAA not NIT. If the NCAA truly gives consideration to injuries they are likely in. If not they still have a decent shot. But they should cheer for chalk in conference tournaments.
No, I meant NIT. Hear me out...

First and foremost, let me say I want Drake to make it. I think it's great when multiple Iowa teams make the tourney. I'm rooting for them, but...

- They are treading in dangerous waters - last four in/first four out territory
- NET and KenPom rankings both in the mid 50s
- Frankly, a terrible schedule. They did beat Loyola once (in OT) but lost to them twice. Next best wins were a sweep of Missouri State (84 in KenPom)
- Lots of conference tourneys still to play out (root for chalk, like you said)

Their case for an at large NCAA berth I think is razor thin. It could happen, but I think there are a lot of scenarios in which they are out.

So, then, NIT. Well, the NIT is only doing 16 teams this year and, I assume, are planning on continuing their tradition of inviting any team that won their regular season but lost in their conference tourney as AQs. There are always a few of those, so now you are looking at any extremely slim number of NIT at larges. I mean, from the Big Ten alone, how many teams do we have that look like compelling cases for an NIT at large?

Again, I'm rooting for them, but I'm saying I think there is an unfortunately good chance they could really get left out in the cold this off season. Life as a mid major, I guess.

No, I meant NIT. Hear me out...

First and foremost, let me say I want Drake to make it. I think it's great when multiple Iowa teams make the tourney. I'm rooting for them, but...

- They are treading in dangerous waters - last four in/first four out territory
- NET and KenPom rankings both in the mid 50s
- Frankly, a terrible schedule. They did beat Loyola once (in OT) but lost to them twice. Next best wins were a sweep of Missouri State (84 in KenPom)
- Lots of conference tourneys still to play out (root for chalk, like you said)

Their case for an at large NCAA berth I think is razor thin. It could happen, but I think there are a lot of scenarios in which they are out.

So, then, NIT. Well, the NIT is only doing 16 teams this year and, I assume, are planning on continuing their tradition of inviting any team that won their regular season but lost in their conference tourney as AQs. There are always a few of those, so now you are looking at any extremely slim number of NIT at larges. I mean, from the Big Ten alone, how many teams do we have that look like compelling cases for an NIT at large?

Again, I'm rooting for them, but I'm saying I think there is an unfortunately good chance they could really get left out in the cold this off season. Life as a mid major, I guess.
I could see that.

Those same St Louis protocols could end Iowa’s chances at a NCAA wrestling title in a couple of weeks if someone were to test positive

Latest posts