Mr. Davis

I don’t get your post are you advocating JBo to be the PG, or are you saying JT and Ulis are equal in talent? What does being a great 3 point shooter have to do with being a great point guard? Driving to the basket at incredible speed is important but doing it under control and having a plan is more important. The most important thing to me about a good point guard is he makes everyone on the team better and they play under control. Outside the Virginia game I haven’t seen it from Joe.
Simply put, many on this board are never going to be satisfied. That may, or may not, include you. “What does being a great3 point shooter have to do with being a great point guard?” Really? Really? You just typed that?

Can we try cheating? Other programs do it and nothing seems to happen to them.
Only if you want wealthy alumni to pull their donations.

We have cheated before. How do you think Raveling ot those players out of Michigan and Illinois. I just don't know how or exactly what was offered.

The point guard that would satisfy HN posters is out there, I am sure. But after we sign him, the critics will re-emerge with a vengeance. After all, our last point guard is the record holder for the BT Conference, all time, in three point baskets. But of course, the posters decided he could not play defense, so he was no good. Now we have two point guards who play great D, drive to the basket with incredible speed, but don’t score enough to gain the praise of the almighty HN posters. Who would have guessed?
The point guard that would satisfy HN posters is out there, I am sure. But after we sign him, the critics will re-emerge with a vengeance. After all, our last point guard is the record holder for the BT Conference, all time, in three point baskets. But of course, the posters decided he could not play defense, so he was no good. Now we have two point guards who play great D, drive to the basket with incredible speed, but don’t score enough to gain the praise of the almighty HN posters. Who would have guessed?
Jbo is not a point guard. He's the 2 spot shooting guard. Fran only plays him at point if he has to. Like I said, Joe T has great speed, plays some D, but he's not a game changer. Need a point guard who can score from 3, slash and finish at rim and can cause defenses to focus on him. It would keep teams from doubling Keegan. It took the douchey guy from Clown State 1 season to bring a legit point guard on board. I'm beginning to think Fran doesn't recognize a good point guard.

Jabo was a point guard at Iowa for 4-5 years. I know he came back at Fran’s request as a 2. Re-read my post very slowly. Get it?

Simply put, many on this board are never going to be satisfied. That may, or may not, include you. “What does being a great3 point shooter have to do with being a great point guard?” Really? Really? You just typed that?
Yes, they are two different skill sets, a lot of great shooters (JBo being one of them) don't have the quickness to be great point guards, I think your confused about the position, too much Fran ball I think.

Point guards in the my Iowa era : Exceptional=Ronnie (no last name necessary)
Great= BJ, Woolridge
Good= Oliver, Horner
Average= Marble (because of his ability to score) Carfino, Arnold
It's a short list and almost none from Fran's era, I guess he doesn't really value the pg position instead wanting versatile players capable of bringing the ball up themselves.
Now if it's a list of shooters JBo is right near the top. In my top 5.

Yes, they are two different skill sets, a lot of great shooters (JBo being one of them) don't have the quickness to be great point guards, I think your confused about the position, too much Fran ball I think.
Not confused at all. In the meantime, you and others define the perfect point guard and then complain that we have never had one. I have never said JBO was without weaknesses in his game. I just tired of comparing him to some ideal hero. Everybody in the country wants the perfect point guard, but there not enough to go around.

Not confused at all. In the meantime, you and others define the perfect point guard and then complain that we have never had one. I have never said JBO was without weaknesses in his game. I just tired of comparing him to some ideal hero. Everybody in the country wants the perfect point guard, but there not enough to go around.
Not saying we have never had a great point guard at Iowa. I'm just saying Fran hasn't had one and we need one. It should be a priority.

Great= BJ, Woolridge
Good= Oliver, Horner
It's a short list and almost none from Fran's era, I guess he doesn't really value the pg position instead wanting versatile players capable of bringing the ball up themselves.
You're missing Troy Skinner

Great= BJ, Woolridge
Good= Oliver, Horner
I would add Andre Woolridge also to this list.

Woops, edit...I see Woolridge next to BJ...nevemind.

Also came here to say the "Mr. Davis" thing is stupid.
Seems everything posted on this board is stupid unless you post it. It has been fun reading your "know it all" takes the past couple years and then finding out later that your head was up your ass.
Honestly, I could give a shit about Fran, or your assertion that his players love him. Steve Alford's players loved him too. Fran's recruiting is a joke. Take away his kids and Iowa's legacy recruits and what do you have left?
In regard to playing musical chairs with the coaching staff? Changing coaches after 12 years of mediocrity is considered playing musical chairs?
As far as unreasonable expectations for the program, there are none from me, especially with the current coaching staff. Big 10 regular season title? Haha. Good one.
Big 10 tourney title? Another good one. Winning a game in that tourney is an accomplishment. NCAA tourney success? The biggest laugh of all.
Good job Fran. .At least we are pretty sure we will not finish last every year.
It is also apparent that Rob Howe's expectations are pretty low. How in the hell did he decide that paying an abrasive asshole like you to moderate would be good for the site.
Hawkeye Nation at one time was a pretty good site.

Also came here to say the "Mr. Davis" thing is stupid.

Last edited:
Seems everything posted on this board is stupid unless you post it. It has been fun reading your "know it all" takes the past couple years and then finding out later that your head was up your ass.
Honestly, I could give a shit about Fran, or your assertion that his players love him. Steve Alford's players loved him too. Fran's recruiting is a joke. Take away his kids and Iowa's legacy recruits and what do you have left?
In regard to playing musical chairs with the coaching staff? Changing coaches after 12 years of mediocrity is considered playing musical chairs?
As far as unreasonable expectations for the program, there are none from me, especially with the current coaching staff. Big 10 regular season title? Haha. Good one.
Big 10 tourney title? Another good one. Winning a game in that tourney is an accomplishment. NCAA tourney success? The biggest laugh of all.
Good job Fran. .At least we are pretty sure we will not finish last every year.
It is also apparent that Rob Howe's expectations are pretty low. How in the hell did he decide that paying an abrasive asshole like you to moderate would be good for the site.
Hawkeye Nation at one time was a pretty good site.
1) As I said before , Iowas program isn’t mediocre. Our WP in Fran’s time is way over the median in P6 basketball.

2) Me getting paid? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I haven’t gotten a dime from anyone here, which is the way it should be. And even if I had, Rob wouldn’t be the one paying me. Also, Rob wasn’t the one who asked me; that came from the site’s owners. If you learn nothing else today, you should learn that Rob has nothing to do with—and deserves no blame for—me being a mod.

Enjoy your hatred of the Hawks, and your nebraska-esque fandom thinking there’s some destiny of success birthright you’re entitled to as a fan because at one time Mr. Tom made an Elite Eight. As far as your idiocy of not being able to see math and probability hitting you in the face, I can’t help you. Iowa has a few community colleges where you could probably get a 3 credit online class for a few hundred bucks.

Not saying we have never had a great point guard at Iowa. I'm just saying Fran hasn't had one and we need one. It should be a priority.
What is with Iowa lately? :) Petras and Goodson, our guards. Reading the field or floor quickly and making the right decisions is not our forte as of late in the positions that handle the ball most. A half second too slow makes a world of difference.

Still early for Joe T to come around. Perhaps the game will slow down for him. Buuut if it doesn't come together by the end of this year one can have doubts creep in that it ever will. Didn't notice at the time but looking at the stats Joe T had 0 assists vs. Iowa State and 0 assists vs. VA. 7 total in the 4 big games. Not so hot.

That's fair, actually JBo might be the best option right now at PG, but that would imply that JT, Ulis, or Perkins are not the answer. I'm not wanting to give up on Ulis or Perkins yet and I think there is room for JT as a quality back up. Heck I would actually like to see the Murray boys play some point. This goes back to playing for the now or the future. And I'm not asking for the "perfect' point guard. There will only be one Ronnie Lester, but capable points are out there. I've seen them on far inferior teams that we have played this year. Guys that can run an offense and play decent defense. Why is that so hard for Fran to find? That being said the kid coming in next year might be the best PG I've seen Fran get yet. Better things are on the horizon.

That's fair, actually JBo might be the best option right now at PG, but that would imply that JT, Ulis, or Perkins are not the answer. I'm not wanting to give up on Ulis or Perkins yet and I think there is room for JT as a quality back up. Heck I would actually like to see the Murray boys play some point. This goes back to playing for the now or the future. And I'm not asking for the "perfect' point guard. There will only be one Ronnie Lester, but capable points are out there. I've seen them on far inferior teams that we have played this year. Guys that can run an offense and play decent defense. Why is that so hard for Fran to find? That being said the kid coming in next year might be the best PG I've seen Fran get yet. Better things are on the horizon.
I really don’t want JBO at the point. JT, Uhlis, and Perkins show some good promise and will get better. Fran did not want to lose any of the three to the portal, so he made it clear to JBO as well as to the three guys above that JBO would NOT be on the point. Actually, JBO addressed his defined role with all three of them. Could a circumstance arise where Fran would be forced to use JBO on the point? I suppose, but it would be a rare event.

BJ Armstrong was very good at the point

Dean Oliver and Jeff Horner were also very good

The team this year needs less dribbling and more motion on offense

When Keegan is covered, he should perhaps not dribble into traffic under the
basket and instead look to pass the ball

It would help if we had more than Jordan as a threat from the arc

JoeT needs to pass the ball downcourt quickly

Assuming that we have quick players on the floor

Keegan and Patrick should be racing downcourt

They did it well last season

Last edited:
This post and your previous post are obvious truths. Gives me hope that there are still few out here that aren't cool-aid drinkers. I will also give it to Huck on one of his comments about how everyone wants these guys and there doesn't seem to be enough to go around.

No one is saying JBo is worthless. That would be insane to say that. He can shoot the three and does a hell of a good job with assist. Just lacks defensive speed, fast break speed, and overall explosiveness to the rim. When we find that guy then Fran will be jumping for joy with the rest of us. Can any of us imagine Fran's offense with a Ronnie Lester type of point guard?

Got to give it to Iowa State on defense. Damn, been a while since I have seen boys up in players shirts and faces like that. That's old school defense and fun to watch. Have to have quick feet thought to play that way. Can it be taught or is it just natural talent? It's Iowa State for goodness sakes not Duke, Kansas, or North Carolina. So maybe it can be taught. In this regards "DEFENSE" I hate to say it but in regards to defense Lickliter puts Fran to shame. Unfortunately when it came to Lickliter our offense went in a coma. Fran woke our patient up on offense. (hate to use the work "woke" on this website)

I know you are just stating this in response to me because by now everyone knows how I feel about this. We are both on the same page. The we can’t people are the same people Hayden Fran talked about when he got here. Loser mindset. What kind of people have a loser mindset? I’ve tried to avoid going here because if I just come out and say it, it will only piss off the we can’t people that are out here.

I Have said it on here more than once. I’d rather go down swinging instead of conceding and just giving up.

It’s no big secrete that the majority of our society is more than happy to settle for status quo. It’s called a comfort zone. Comfort zone are comfortable. They require little effort. Better just being average than take any chances that could cause disruption and mess with our comfort zones.

It took Michigan a while to get their mojo back, after wandering in the wilderness for several years. If they had just settled they would not have their mojo back right now. Nebraska may never get their mojo back but I will give them credit for trying and not giving up.
I think Michigan is a bad example to try to prove your point. For one, Harbaugh sucked enough to get fired for years now and they just stuck with him. Also, they were probably about ready to fire him if he had another bad year because it looked like he would never get it done. Then he ended up getting it done, proving that sometimes it pays to not fire a coach.

I think Michigan is a bad example to try to prove your point. For one, Harbaugh sucked enough to get fired for years now and they just stuck with him. Also, they were probably about ready to fire him if he had another bad year because it looked like he would never get it done. Then he ended up getting it done, proving that sometimes it pays to not fire a coach.
Six years. That’s not a long time. The point is they went through several coaches in search of a coach that could bring back the level of success they had in the past. I would say that you are likely right in that his leash was getting shorter and shorter.

Latest posts