Dolphin Tweet: Stanley To Start

A little unsettling that it took this long to name a QB with a cannon for an arm as the starter for game 1. Methinks there are other deficiencies that could come into play once he's out there full-time that could cost us. Hope I'm wrong though.

A little unsettling that it took this long to name a QB with a cannon for an arm as the starter for game 1. Methinks there are other deficiencies that could come into play once he's out there full-time that could cost us. Hope I'm wrong though.

From all reports, the staff was waiting/hoping Stanley would show some more leadership attributes and show the ability to "control the huddle". Stanley is apparently a shy guy by nature and overall leadership is not something that comes naturally to him.

Hopefully, this means that during the 20 fall camp practices, he was able to show that. Stanzi had it and it helped us to a 3 year record of 28-11 with 3 bowl wins. Ruddock didn't and in his two year we were 15-11. CJ had it and we were 20-7. I don't think it's a coincidence that the last 2 QBs who other teammates would run thru a brick wall for were a combined 48-18 with a Rose Bowl and an Orange Bowl to their names.

Let's hope Stanley was able to figure that part out.

Lots of football to play. Would not be surprised if we see Weigers on Saturday at some point. Just because Stanley is starting now doesn't mean he will finish the season there. If the race was as close as all the coaches said I don't think there will be much hesitation if Stanley struggles or is a little banged up. doesn't matter to me as long as they get results.

Lots of football to play. Would not be surprised if we see Weigers on Saturday at some point. Just because Stanley is starting now doesn't mean he will finish the season there. If the race was as close as all the coaches said I don't think there will be much hesitation if Stanley struggles or is a little banged up. doesn't matter to me as long as they get results.

I am just hoping we win. Wyoming is no cupcake, at least in the past they have been like a pesky varmint.

Hopefully Brian can bring back the days of Fry when our offense would smash the first opponent of the year.

God I hope not... Unless Stanley just poops the bed I say let him play through mistakes. I don't want to see a back and forth amongst mediocre QBs. I can only assume if Stanley is just OK... Then that's the ceiling for Weigers too. So going back and forth with them at all would only stunt them from getting better. Now the fine line is how long is too long... It's a you know it when you see it kinda thing. We all knew it back when JC needed to be benched for Stanzi. Stanzi wasn't really ready either but JC was just terrible for an extended period of time in most facets of the game.

I feel the main reason there was a back and forth with JR and CJ was they had different ceilings. CJ has that 'it' and better arm then JR but JR wasn't a bad player by any means and his being a year ahead of him I felt was his only leg up. If they'd have came in together CJ probably would have beaten him out sooner. So if Stanley gets off to a cold start with a 3 and out and a turnover in the first few possessions let's not all freak out. For the same reason Stanley won the #2 gig last yr is why he won the starting job now. His ceiling his higher and letting him play through mistakes will be how he gets better faster. Not benching him off and on.

Last edited:

Kirk did state that he doesn't want whoever they chose as the starter to be looking over their shoulder. It probably would take quite a bit for Stanley to get pulled I would think. Maybe I'm wrong.

Latest posts