Does Fran owe an apology

blkngldFRO

First off I am not talking about the press conference. I don't think Frans comment about the intelligent question or "cause I said so" was rude. I just think that it was idiotic and kind of out of character from what we have seen from him in the past.

I do think and hope that Fran would apologize to Dolph personally and professionally on this week’s call in show. I hope that after the interview he did. I think the way he snapped at Dolph for doing his job was uncalled for. Ok the eye poke happened and the question needed to be asked. I have always defended the way Fran gets after refs and the players in the game. Heat of the moment fighting for your team, but the why he talked down to Dolph was just ugly.

What do you think should Fran apologize?

First off I am not talking about the press conference. I don't think Frans comment about the intelligent question or "cause I said so" was rude. I just think that it was idiotic and kind of out of character from what we have seen from him in the past.

I do think and hope that Fran would apologize to Dolph personally and professionally on this week’s call in show. I hope that after the interview he did. I think the way he snapped at Dolph for doing his job was uncalled for. Ok the eye poke happened and the question needed to be asked. I have always defended the way Fran gets after refs and the players in the game. Heat of the moment fighting for your team, but the why he talked down to Dolph was just ugly.

No, unless he wants to do it privately.

Nope. Someone covering Iowa (knows Woody) should know better than to ask such a dumb question.

I didn't hear how that went. I guess I'd need to do that to form a better opinion on it. In the end it's between those two I guess. Dolph usually doesn't ask the toughest of tough questions but it shouldn't have been a surprise that he asked that. If anything it lets Fran talk about it and clear the air. Maybe it was just a knee jerk shoot the messenger move on Frans part. You'd think a guy that just won a huge game like that wouldn't have been so on edge but I think he's just beyond sick of the subject and negativity of it all towards Woody. And that's a poor excuse to be as rude as he appears to have been. It's a part of being a professional. I understand he's human like us all but he's paid to be professional and between that and how he answered the question in pressor he was anything but....

Anybody have a clip of the audio? I heard them talking about him jumping on Dolph this morning but I didn't hear the post game so I'd be interested to listen.

Yeah, I'd have to hear the interview. I'm not sure how the question was asked, if it had been asked multiple times, etc.

I think after the Dakich "fight" with Fran and the questions about Woody holding the other player down during jump balls, Fran is pretty sick of all the questions about his center. Right or wrong Fran has his players back and is trying to keep the media storm away from Woody.

No apology needed

What was the exact question Dolph asked? I didn't catch the post-game either?
Couldn't tell you the exact question, but basically about Woody gouging another eye. Fran snapped back that he wasn't going to talk about it, that it was ridiculous. Overall, he didn't handle it well with Dolph or the press conference right after the game. As you might expect, Sportcenter had a field day with this, and had Fran on the phone for a call in when they did the recap of the game (which by the way said very little about a game where we upset the #17 team, it was all about the eye poke) and I thought his response on Sportcenter was spot on- professional and defended his player. Too bad he didn't have the words together to respond like that after the game to Dolph or the press conference.

Nope. Someone covering Iowa (knows Woody) should know better than to ask such a dumb question.

Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but why is it a dumb question? He didn't ask if it was intentional or call in Woody's character. If I remember correctly he was more so addressing the call the refs made. It's a post-game interview not dumb to ask a question about a moment that could have change the game.

I have been trying to find an audio clip but can’t locate one. Anyone know if they are out on the internet?

It wasn't even a question. He said it's a shame that his good performance will be overshadowed by the incident. Fran said "that's ridiculous, I'm not even going to talk about it. Move on" . Dolph tried to rephrase it and Fran said twice very sternly "MOVE ON".

It wasn't even a question. He said it's a shame that his good performance will be overshadowed by the incident. Fran said "that's ridiculous, I'm not even going to talk about it. Move on" . Dolph tried to rephrase it and Fran said twice very sternly "MOVE ON".

I get why he Fran is defending Woodbury so vociferously. The narrative is that Woodbury is a dirty player (from the jump ball thing to the eye pokes) and Fran doesn't agree (I would agree with him). But Fran ended up making it a much bigger deal with his reaction. Should have just said that he's not doing it intentionally, and move on from there.

Couldn't tell you the exact question, but basically about Woody gouging another eye. Fran snapped back that he wasn't going to talk about it, that it was ridiculous. Overall, he didn't handle it well with Dolph or the press conference right after the game. As you might expect, Sportcenter had a field day with this, and had Fran on the phone for a call in when they did the recap of the game (which by the way said very little about a game where we upset the #17 team, it was all about the eye poke) and I thought his response on Sportcenter was spot on- professional and defended his player. Too bad he didn't have the words together to respond like that after the game to Dolph or the press conference.

This is why I hope that Fran would apologize. He responded to the national new in a personal and respectful manner, but was quite rude with the local guys. I agree Frans answer to ESPN was exactly what needed to be said about the situation. Right when the eye poke happen I thought to myself it’s a shame that such a good Hawkeye performance is going to get overshadowed nationally. It might have not blown up as much if Fran didn’t react the way he did in those two pressers.

I'm sure Fran will take the high road and apologize to Dolph, either publicly or in private. But I liked it. Dolph is just a paid mouthpiece for the University, who is unbearable to listen to, so I liked that Fran put him in his place. And Hansen didn't make a sound to help Dolph out. Again, probably not professional on Fran's part, but I laughed when I was listening to it live.

No. He owes an apology to no one. Screw ALL the media. If the conference has a problem with Woodbury, let them handle it with the Iowa coaching staff.

In 2 1/2 years as a starter, there have been 3 times someone was hit in the face/poked in the eye. How many times has an opposing player not been touched by Woodbury?

The way he plays defense is he extends and arm and his fingers extend towards a player. Contact is going to happen. He's trying to disrupt the offensive player by putting his hand in his face. Why is nobody talking about White getting fouled hard to his head? Why no flagrant foul on that play?

All you sensitive PC people need to grow a pair.

No

Fran had to have known the questions were coming, so I believe his response was premeditated, maybe not exact words, but he wanted to be clear he was not going to discuss it. I am surprised that Dolph didn't "clear" the question with Fran before going on the air with it (or maybe it was, and it was a calculated exchange to try to put it to bed).

If this helps encourage Dolph to retire then I have to admit I'd be kind of happy about it. I have a lot of respect for Dolph. He's a great Hawkeye. He's been the voice of the Hawks for a long long time, but I just think it's time for him to let someone else take over. I hate saying that about such a loyal Hawk, but the more I listen to him the harder it gets. He just isn't very good anymore.

I'm not saying he did anything wrong in this situation. In fact, I would probably agree that the right thing to do would be for Fran to give him a call and apologize.

Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but why is it a dumb question? He didn't ask if it was intentional or call in Woody's character. If I remember correctly he was more so addressing the call the refs made. It's a post-game interview not dumb to ask a question about a moment that could have change the game.

I have been trying to find an audio clip but can’t locate one. Anyone know if they are out on the internet?

Since Mccaffery cant comment on officiating either, that makes Dolphs question even dumber than what it appeared on the surface.

I'm sure Fran will take the high road and apologize to Dolph, either publicly or in private. But I liked it. Dolph is just a paid mouthpiece for the University, who is unbearable to listen to, so I liked that Fran put him in his place. And Hansen didn't make a sound to help Dolph out. Again, probably not professional on Fran's part, but I laughed when I was listening to it live.

I laughed too. There was about 3 or 4 seconds of scrambling from Bobby to get a question out to Fran completely away from the Woodbury discussion and he did.

Latest posts