Dochterman just put out a really interesting tweet

Said that in the last 6 years, Iowa has faced 31 situations in which it was tied and/or trailing by 3 points or less with under 11 seconds. In those 31 times, it put up 29 shots and made a total of 5 of them.

So yeah, we were freaking due! :)
Holy smokes... How many of those 5 has Jbo made? Unreal stat. Yikes...

Marble against Tennessee.
Uthoff to force OT against Northwestern
Uthoff to beat Minnesota
Jbo to beat Wisconsin
Jbo to beat northwestern

That's my guess off the top of my head and I assume right.

Marble against Tennessee.
Uthoff to force OT against Northwestern
Uthoff to beat Minnesota
Jbo to beat Wisconsin
Jbo to beat northwestern

That's my guess off the top of my head and I assume right.

Those sound correct, although Woodbury at the buzzer vs Temple should be on there. I looked up Jok's three vs FSU in OT to put us ahead in 2015-16 but he actually hit that with 26 seconds left and we added some free throws to hold on.

Those sound correct, although Woodbury at the buzzer vs Temple should be on there. I looked up Jok's three vs FSU in OT to put us ahead in 2015-16 but he actually hit that with 26 seconds left and we added some free throws to hold on.

Good point. It wasn't actually a "shot" but that seems to not picky. He must have missed one.

I cant believe too many teams are over 30 % on last second shots. That stat doesnt seem that out of odinary. Defenses usually get away with more then.

I was trying to figure out why the cut off was 11 seconds, and it's Tyler Cook tying the TCU game to send it into OT.

Here are how other teams have done under the same criteria vs Iowa those same years
2014 - 1/6 (Illinois hit a 3 to beat us, Xavier actually missed three 3s in the last ten seconds trying to tie)

2015 - 0/1 (Marcus Paige missed a tying 3, does not include the Minnesota game with Uthoff's shot where Gesell challenged the layup just enough for Nate Mason to not get the shot off in time since it didn't count)

2016 - 1/2 (lost to ISU)

2017 - 1/6 (Nate Mason tied the game at the barn with 9 seconds to send to OT)

2018 - 1/2 (Trent Frazier tied for Illinois at the buzzer to send OT, only other was Michigan missing at end of regulation in BTT)

2019 so far 0/3 (Pittsburgh missed twice and Pardon the other night)

So the opposition is 4/20 over the last six years, about the same average as the Hawks. We are behind more often in those situations, but the results are similar.

Yup. Been watching since 1980 and that shot NEVER goes in for us, and ALWAYS goes in for them.
Was shocked it went in. And I thought Pardons shot was somehow going in.

Yup. Been watching since 1980 and that shot NEVER goes in for us, and ALWAYS goes in for them.

If pardons shot woulda gone in...for starters I don't think he got it off in time, and secondly it looked like kriener actually tipped the ball on the inbounds so actually the clock shoulda ran out before it even got to him.

So, who would you guess missed the majority of those? I'd think Gesell and Marble have to be 1 and 2
It was often one of three things - either we had a team where NO ONE wanted the ball down the stretch (and it showed); or where we had only one obvious player who should have the ball in his hands, and yet every time that happened anyone but him ended up having it (read Aaron White - how much of that was him not getting open, and how much of that was teammates not getting it to him will always remain a mystery); or someone insisted having the ball in their hands in those situations who, bluntly, had no business having it. Your example was Gesell - the first guy that always comes to mind for me was Zach McCabe, esp. as as Sr. He anxiously wanted that shot down the stretch, but never came close to making one - aired a couple out (as he fumbled them before he could even get the shot off) as I recall.

Those NCAA daggers, even back to the 1970's, were always shots to the heart. Pembroke Burroughs, Stan Joplin, Brian Kellerman, Randolph Childress. And then there were losses other ways that, to this day, I can't fathom. The year (I believe it was 1983) where we lost in the Sweet 16 to Villanova in a tight, tough game when one of our better EVER free throw shooters, a man named Bob Hansen, missed the front end of the one-and-one. We lost by 2.

Gotta give a shout out for Wieskamp here. If he doesn’t make the long three pointer then anything Bo would have done would have been mute. Also have to give Moss credit too on his short jumper that pulled us with in one point. It was a team win just as it’s a team loss when the opposite happens.

Just glad to see the good guys pull one out for a change. I’ve watched the last five minutes of the game twice already and still shake my head in disbelief. That’s usually what happens to us in reverse.

Those NCAA daggers, even back to the 1970's, were always shots to the heart. Pembroke Burroughs, Stan Joplin, Brian Kellerman, Randolph Childress. And then there were losses other ways that, to this day, I can't fathom. The year (I believe it was 1983) where we lost in the Sweet 16 to Villanova in a tight, tough game when one of our better EVER free throw shooters, a man named Bob Hansen, missed the front end of the one-and-one. We lost by 2.
Steve Reid of Purdue. Anthony Drejaj of St Louis. Jermaine Wallace of NW State (buzzer beaters in NIT and NCAA respectively). Andy Kaufman of Illinois. Brian Good of Wisconsin (after Kevin Smith had just put us up with his own three with 2.5 seconds remaining). How about Roy Marble getting robbed at Minnesota after the clock started before he caught the inbounds pass. I thought the Sports Column was going to riot that day.

Here's a recent one not on the list. Who was the player from Temple who was fouled by Anthony Clemmons on a three point attempt and made all three free throws to send it into OT. How much time was left when Clemmons fouled him?

Then you had Randy Smithson of Wichita State in the 1981 NCAA's hitting technical free throws after Lute or someone on the bench called a timeout when we were out of them.

Rodney Monroe in 1989 hit late shots in regulation and at the end of the first overtime for NC State.

Roy Marble in 1986, also against NC State, had a chance to send that NCAA game into overtime but, like Hansen in 1983, missed the front end of a one and one in the final seconds.

I thought we lost the Villanova game by one. I thought Hansen had a chance to win it. I could be wrong. It was a long time ago. It may not have mattered much anyway. Out next opponent would have been Houston. The Phi Slama Jama Houston.

Last edited:

Latest posts