defense.. still not gonna be good

Hawkfnntn

Whulp allow me to be the negative Nancy and state the obvious.I know that was just one game against a scrub but their was a lot of things defensively that made me nervous. Outside of Joe T we can't stop anyones dribble drives. That still seems to be the case. I do think we'll rebound significantly better which will help but giving up good open looks to scrubs because we can't prevent penetration off the dribble creates an obvious problem. We always seem to have issues giving up open 3s (and the other team shooting lights out on em) So hopefully we can do a little better on that. It really wouldn't take much for it to help because we should score no less then 80 a game. I mean 85 plus should be the goal. We just have too much firepower. Garza wasn't even trying and he put up 26. He coulda had 50 in that game if we wanted him to.

That could really kill us. But I do like Patrick at the point of press . Perkins and ulis the short time they were in the game they got after it. Keagen Murray good rebounder. The young ones play good defense.

That could really kill us. But I do like Patrick at the point of press . Perkins and ulis the short time they were in the game they got after it. Keagen Murray good rebounder. The young ones play good defense.
So did I. How great is it that he's not only looking great but just that he's healthy and playing. Dude looks amazing. If the press can cause some TOs that'll help make up for how poor our half court D will probably be. He'll cause his fair share of them too he's so long and athletic. Having him and Nunge whenever he gets back will be very huge for helping out on D and we'll need it.

I do not think this team will ever be awesome on D. As I stated in a previous thread, just give me effort and smart basketball on the defensive end. Getting stops at key moments in games and not letting mini runs turn into big ones, if they can navigate that they will be fine.

With games against North Carolina and Gonzaga coming up, we are going to know exactly where this D needs to be at by time conference play starts.

If you can get a good projection on Iowa's D from watching them 'house these 2 tomato cans...well, you've got a better eye for hoops than I do.

I think Iowa is gonna be just fine defensively and, in fact, I think there is a possibility of this being one of the better defensive teams Fran has had. Look at what CJ and Connor bring to the table. Fran's had teams that didn't have a single guy that brought that kind of defensive stopping power and versatility to the table, but this team's got TWO in the starting five.

Beyond that, we're not Wisconsin and trying to hold everyone under 50. That's just not the way the team is built. The name of the game is to slow 'em down and dare 'em to keep up. Our style of play generates an obscene number of possessions for both teams. Defensively, this is about playing the margins and trying to make the other guys just a little less successful on their possessions than we are on our possessions. Lockdown D for 40 mins/night ain't happening and, furthermore, would be self defeating unless we radically retool our offensive philosophy.

Just my 2 cents. Really, I think we'll be fine.

If you can get a good projection on Iowa's D from watching them 'house these 2 tomato cans...well, you've got a better eye for hoops than I do.

I think Iowa is gonna be just fine defensively and, in fact, I think there is a possibility of this being one of the better defensive teams Fran has had. Look at what CJ and Connor bring to the table. Fran's had teams that didn't have a single guy that brought that kind of defensive stopping power and versatility to the table, but this team's got TWO in the starting five.

Beyond that, we're not Wisconsin and trying to hold everyone under 50. That's just not the way the team is built. The name of the game is to slow 'em down and dare 'em to keep up. Our style of play generates an obscene number of possessions for both teams. Defensively, this is about playing the margins and trying to make the other guys just a little less successful on their possessions than we are on our possessions. Lockdown D for 40 mins/night ain't happening and, furthermore, would be self defeating unless we radically retool our offensive philosophy.

Just my 2 cents. Really, I think we'll be fine.
Well said, 67.

We are going to have to pick it up when we play gonzaga. The guards are getting killed maybe the young players can pick it up they have the quickness . fran has never had a great defense mind.

Fran has the players to put a decent defensive team on the court. I love JB as much as anyone but he can’t be relied on for defense, when JT is out there the perimeter defense is much better. Patrick and Connor are both good on defense.

I'm worried too. It doesn't take a coach's eye to see our perimeter defense is just... well, bad. Quick teams (like Illinois) look like they will eat us for lunch.
I have always been a fan of a 1-3-1 zone against fast teams. If played right, you can literally have 2 defenders on the offensive player most of the time. Of course, it has its weaknesses, but better to shut down a certain lay-up. I'm tellin' ya right now, B1G, ranked teams are gonna exploit us if we don't get this under control-FAST!
We can't count on hitting more 3's than the other team scores lay-ups.
TRJ is right, we'll see what we got when N.C. and the Zags hit town.

Well if we don’t figure out our defense soon you can kiss any top ten ranking goodbye. I am hoping the players just weren’t pressing because they did t think they had to.

If we play as bad of defense as we have the last two games you can kiss a top twenty ranking goodbye. We just looked really slow on moving our feet and staying in front of the guy driving to the basket. I also didn’t see any help very often once their guards got past our guy.

We have an elite and deep offense and only need an average to just below average defense IMO. Also, there’s some pressure on the opposing players to make every shot when we score at such a high rate.

I'm worried too. It doesn't take a coach's eye to see our perimeter defense is just... well, bad. Quick teams (like Illinois) look like they will eat us for lunch.
I have always been a fan of a 1-3-1 zone against fast teams. If played right, you can literally have 2 defenders on the offensive player most of the time. Of course, it has its weaknesses, but better to shut down a certain lay-up. I'm tellin' ya right now, B1G, ranked teams are gonna exploit us if we don't get this under control-FAST!
We can't count on hitting more 3's than the other team scores lay-ups.
TRJ is right, we'll see what we got when N.C. and the Zags hit town.
Good call. I like that zone too in the sense that it forces the primary ball handler to either force things or give the ball up. Which against IL we should want the ball out of their PGs hands as much as possible.

Latest posts