Deep Financial Trouble?

I didn't read the whole article but it wasnt that many years ago, 5 to 10, the Iowa was listed as one of 25 programs that were in the black as far as athletics. Maybe a couple of stadium enhancements were paid for with loans and not all the money was in hand. Millions of dollars in legal fees and payments made. Some seasons without full attendance in football and basketball. Too big of salaries in those same two sports.

I find it hard to believe they are in the red with the TV and other money they get from the Big 10/BTN.

I didn't read the whole article but it wasnt that many years ago, 5 to 10, the Iowa was listed as one of 25 programs that were in the black as far as athletics. Maybe a couple of stadium enhancements were paid for with loans and not all the money was in hand. Millions of dollars in legal fees and payments made. Some seasons without full attendance in football and basketball. Too big of salaries in those same two sports.

I find it hard to believe they are in the red with the TV and other money they get from the Big 10/BTN.

No football season or other fall sports means little or no TV money. It's not surprising at all.

Our Country is in great financial difficulty, which could have been resolved a long time ago. We have done it before against greater odds. My most recent memory was Obama bailing us out of the greatest depression in our history.

I didn't read the whole article but it wasnt that many years ago, 5 to 10, the Iowa was listed as one of 25 programs that were in the black as far as athletics.
"in the black" is the loosest term in the entire accounting world.

When people say "in the black" whether it's in reference to a business or a nine figure athletic department, they're including future accounts receivable, which in this case includes astronomical conference and TV money.

1. This lady apparently loves to compare spending to conference peers, but she doesn't also compare athletic departments' debt to income ratios (she railed about Iowa's debt load, but offered no comparison to peers), nor does she talk about other members' projected revenue losses which are just as huge or even more so.

2. Her weird infatuation with the term "financial exigency" is absurd and confusing. She tells the reader that that phrase basically means an organization is on it's death bed and will be auctioning off the water coolers and Xerox machines within the next week. Exigency is a pretty common term in the business world and it's basically just Fed Speak for urgency. As in, it's urgent that Iowa cut some sports to stop the bleeding. Nothing more, nothing less. Every single college football team in the nation is financially exigent to some degree.

I can promise you the lawyer who wrote that statement didn't sit down at his or her computer and go, "Oh F...We're in trouble...I need to come up with a phrase to really tell everyone that we're about dead. Hopefully some sharp reporter out there will pick up on it like a message in a bottle and tell the world that The U is about to go down in a raging fire ball."

3. Again, for the four hundred millionth time, P5 football and basketball programs are going nowhere. Their budgets are tiny fractions of University assets and schools are not going to let their athletic departments fail. If nothing else what the F are you going to do with stadiums, arenas, and facilities? Those sports will be fine. Will average salaries decrease? Maybe. Will staff sizes shrink? I would think so. There are going to be changes. But football and basketball will still be played.

Non-revenue sports, you ask? Who cares. Make them club activities like they should be. For decades upon decades they've been supported by football, and the one time football has a hiccup and can't pay for some dorks to row a boat or do somersaults everyone's all up in arms? Those sports have ridden perpetual gravy trains for three generations and counting, and now people want to bitch that Brayden and Hannah don't get to play tennis or do cannon balls in the pool on the football team's dime? F that.

Here's what men's hockey does. They support themselves.

Last edited:
2. Her weird infatuation with the term "financial exigency" is absurd and confusing.

Check her bio. "She is currently an Associate Clinical Professor in the LeBow College of Business at Drexel University in Philadelphia."

"Financial exigency" in the higher ed world is pretty much the only way to fire tenured profs without cause. Tenured profs have fought back virtually every attempt to invoke the financial exigency exception in the past 20 years, but this one, whoa boy, this is going to be a bitch to beat back. The school used "financial exigency" three times in that release. Everyone with a pulse knows what is coming next.

Xander and Kaightlynne.
Umped a game in Le Mars last year that had a Kaden, Kayden, Caiden, and Cade all on the same team. The other team had a Brayden and a Braxtin. Yes, Braxtin with an "i."

I kept the lineup card.

These Karens must not realize that their little shit stains are going to have to apply for jobs at some point in their lives.

Last edited:
Umped a game in Le Mars last year that had a Kaden, Kayden, Caiden, and Cade all on the same team. The other team had a Brayden and a Braxtin. Yes, Braxtin with an "i."

I kept the lineup card.

These Karens must not realize that their little shit stains are going to have to apply for jobs at some point in their lives.

That's why I named my boy Lew. If he wants to run an auto shop or get in the HVAC game, he can go by Lew. If he wants to work as an investment banker or consultant or lawyer or doctor or whatever he can go by Lewis. I would trust a guy named "Lew" to fix my brakes, but it would be a cold day in hell before I'd hand my keys over to someone named "Braxtin" in an auto shop.

are people not expecting this? This is going to be the case at every school who isn't playing football this year. This is just starting and is gonna get way way worse.

Maybe this will make these universities reevaluate their priorities and realize they are places of higher learning.

Our Country is in great financial difficulty, which could have been resolved a long time ago. We have done it before against greater odds. My most recent memory was Obama bailing us out of the greatest depression in our history.

I'm not going to get into a political discussion, Huck, but get your facts right. Obama wasn't even alive during the "greatest depression in our history". That, sir, was back in the 30's.and was only brought under control by the great demands and production of WWII. The Obama era recession was a fraction of the economic disarray of the 30's,

That's why I named my boy Lew. If he wants to run an auto shop or get in the HVAC game, he can go by Lew. If he wants to work as an investment banker or consultant or lawyer or doctor or whatever he can go by Lewis. I would trust a guy named "Lew" to fix my brakes, but it would be a cold day in hell before I'd hand my keys over to someone named "Braxtin" in an auto shop.

Delivered again.

Oh, and Lew is a strong damn name. Nicely done! People don't typically piss with Lews.

I'm not going to get into a political discussion, Huck, but get your facts right. Obama wasn't even alive during the "greatest depression in our history". That, sir, was back in the 30's.and was only brought under control by the great demands and production of WWII. The Obama era recession was a fraction of the economic disarray of the 30's,

Yea, HuckFinn was a little out there with that one.

That, sir, was back in the 30's.and was only brought under control by the great demands and production of WWII.

Well, that and the destruction of a substantial amount of the infrastructure and productive capital in Western Europe and Japan. The US had an uncontested industrial monopoly for a couple of decades. Leftists don't understand cause and effect, though. They think that private unions or high tax rates were the cause of America's might, when in actuality America could afford them because we had an industrial monopoly. GM could pay a guy a ton to hammer a bumper out for a '55 Chevy because no one in Japan or Germany could make cars with any degree of scale and today VW and Toyota are the biggest car companies in the world. The scary shit is China's auto industry is in its infancy.

This is not about politics. It’s about facts that are impacting on Iowa’s athletic programs, and the country as a whole. I don’t care who the president is, or the congress. I would be furious about the lack of Washington’s response to the pandemic. As to the economic collapse that Obama addressed successfully, with the help of congress, to call it a fraction of the 29’ disaster is quite a statement. Big banks, commercial loans, the auto industry and many other business entities were bailed out. Can you imagine what might have resulted if the proper steps were not taken?

I kept the lineup card.

People are weird... Just weird. That's why we have pets so we can name them weird off the wall names. Kids don't stay under 10 they grow up to be adults eventually...

This is not about politics. It’s about facts that are impacting on Iowa’s athletic programs, and the country as a whole. I don’t care who the president is, or the congress. I would be furious about the lack of Washington’s response to the pandemic. As to the economic collapse that Obama addressed successfully, with the help of congress, to call it a fraction of the 29’ disaster is quite a statement. Big banks, commercial loans, the auto industry and many other business entities were bailed out. Can you imagine what might have resulted if the proper steps were not taken?

CuckFinn has me blocked so can someone please make sure he sees this. The bank bailout, TARP, was signed into law by Dubya in October of 2008, prior to the election. Dubya also provided an extraordinary loan to Chrysler and GM to allow Obama the opportunity to do with them as he desired. Obama chose to give 17.5% of the new company's stock to the union for no cash contribution and wipe out the secured creditors. GM will go bankrupt again because political favoritism kept them from curing the structural issues the company has. I do appreciate it when leftists support bailouts for the rich and giant corporations, though. Hopefully Uncle Sugar can get a university bailout going so that Kirk and Gary can each buy another ivory backscratcher.

Latest posts