Conner's assist to turn-over ratio this year=

It's hard to overstate how well Iowa moves the ball - probably the best in the country. We must be an absolute nightmare to gameplan for because our guys, due to the unique skill set we can throw out there, are given so much improvisational freedom within our motion framework. A lot of it is random (for lack of a better term) based on how the defense is reacting.

Conner and Bohannon are both very good passers. Conner in particular is a post feed maestro - the value of which as a "force multiplier" vis a vis Garza is critical for us. CJ doesn't deal in the same volume as the other two, but is incredibly efficient. I don't believe he's committed a turnover in B10 play (though, lamentably, he has missed a good amount of B10 action).

Wieskamp isn't a great assist guy, but he takes care of the ball really well. Garza too is not going to be a high assist guy, but he also takes remarkably good care of the ball and can pass well enough to make doubling him a costly proposition.

It all adds up to a coach's wet dream on offense. #1 in the country for TO%. One of only 5 teams in D1 with a sub-15 TO%. Wisconsin is also in that elite group, but I think you can make a case that Iowa's number is doubly impressive given the slower paced and more structured offense Wisconsin plays relative to Iowa.

Also, at the risk of jinxing it, Iowa has been quietly moving up (i.e. improving) in defensive efficiency over the last few games. I'm going to choose to take that as a positive sign that some heady adjustments are being made that are going to allow us to ride this monster offense to the Sweet 16 and beyond.

It's hard to overstate how well Iowa moves the ball - probably the best in the country. We must be an absolute nightmare to gameplan for because our guys, due to the unique skill set we can throw out there, are given so much improvisational freedom within our motion framework. A lot of it is random (for lack of a better term) based on how the defense is reacting.

Conner and Bohannon are both very good passers. Conner in particular is a post feed maestro - the value of which as a "force multiplier" vis a vis Garza is critical for us. CJ doesn't deal in the same volume as the other two, but is incredibly efficient. I don't believe he's committed a turnover in B10 play (though, lamentably, he has missed a good amount of B10 action).

Wieskamp isn't a great assist guy, but he takes care of the ball really well. Garza too is not going to be a high assist guy, but he also takes remarkably good care of the ball and can pass well enough to make doubling him a costly proposition.

It all adds up to a coach's wet dream on offense. #1 in the country for TO%. One of only 5 teams in D1 with a sub-15 TO%. Wisconsin is also in that elite group, but I think you can make a case that Iowa's number is doubly impressive given the slower paced and more structured offense Wisconsin plays relative to Iowa.

Also, at the risk of jinxing it, Iowa has been quietly moving up (i.e. improving) in defensive efficiency over the last few games. I'm going to choose to take that as a positive sign that some heady adjustments are being made that are going to allow us to ride this monster offense to the Sweet 16 and beyond.
ok, ok! u got the post o' the year; now quit showing' off. ;-]

Damn......................solid post!

I certainly do not want to detract from Connor (or CJ). Connor is the best post feeding guard in the country. That said, it sure helps to feed a guy who is probably the best low post scorer in a decade in MBB. Take Garza out and replace him with Nunge (who is a good post player), and these assist numbers would not be so gawdy.

Not sure how many have noticed, but we are playing more man to man defense than we were earlier in the year.

I thought he was better last year. Man, he had two terrible passes for turnovers against MSU. One feeding the post and the other on an inbound.

He also had two or three remarkable passes...so...all good.

I haven't looked, but I'd be curious to see if our rebounding numbers have also improved a bit as a consequence. Specifically, I mean giving up fewer OREBs.
Luka had all of the Rutgers big guys in foul trouble 5 minutes into the game. And MSU has zero inside presence. So I’m sure the rebound numbers are better for at least a couple games.

The difference between Iowa playing conference opponents and non con is unreal. For the reasons you listed off it's just as much a familiarity issue and scouting thing. Every coach in the BIG that's been around has watched and scouted all their stuff there's hardly any surprises at all to be seen. Just the occasional new out of bounds play maybe. But with how versatile Iowa is with multiple unselfish and very good passers and shooters it makes us ridiculously tough to guard.

Just imagine if CM had been shooting half as well as he did against MSU all this season what a dimension that would add. That's the most noticeable chink in the armor they have as a group is that teams ALWAYS are doubling off of him to go to Garza. For the most part it hasn't been the reason for losses we've had but it doesn't help either.

If we shoot like we did against MSU and don't turn it over it almost doesn't matter how our defense performs. Fran said it afterwards that playing some more man to man makes a difference. We suck in zone. What percentage of the time is it that when we do force a miss in the zone that we give up the offensive rebound? It's gotta be pretty high. I get we like to sprinkle in the zone here and there but we can't play it the majority of the time. Especially against good rebounding teams.

The difference between Iowa playing conference opponents and non con is unreal. For the reasons you listed off it's just as much a familiarity issue and scouting thing. Every coach in the BIG that's been around has watched and scouted all their stuff there's hardly any surprises at all to be seen. Just the occasional new out of bounds play maybe. But with how versatile Iowa is with multiple unselfish and very good passers and shooters it makes us ridiculously tough to guard.

Just imagine if CM had been shooting half as well as he did against MSU all this season what a dimension that would add. That's the most noticeable chink in the armor they have as a group is that teams ALWAYS are doubling off of him to go to Garza. For the most part it hasn't been the reason for losses we've had but it doesn't help either.

If we shoot like we did against MSU and don't turn it over it almost doesn't matter how our defense performs. Fran said it afterwards that playing some more man to man makes a difference. We suck in zone. What percentage of the time is it that when we do force a miss in the zone that we give up the offensive rebound? It's gotta be pretty high. I get we like to sprinkle in the zone here and there but we can't play it the majority of the time. Especially against good rebounding teams.
Since Connor is such a great post feeder and with as good as a free throw shooter he is I'm surprised they never take advantage of a give and go when Connor's man doubles Luka. Connor should go to the rim for an easy look. If somebody slides in to help it should leave Wiesy or JBo wide open somewhere I would think,

Since Connor is such a great post feeder and with as good as a free throw shooter he is I'm surprised they never take advantage of a give and go when Connor's man doubles Luka. Connor should go to the rim for an easy look. If somebody slides in to help it should leave Wiesy or JBo wide open somewhere I would think,
Yeah he's a reluctant cutter. When he does it's just to bring his defender with him to clear space till he gets back to the perrimiter. JW is by far the main guy that cuts hard off the ball looking to score. CJ does sometimes too when he's in there. We clearly miss everything he brings to the table too

Yeah he's a reluctant cutter. When he does it's just to bring his defender with him to clear space till he gets back to the perrimiter. JW is by far the main guy that cuts hard off the ball looking to score. CJ does sometimes too when he's in there. We clearly miss everything he brings to the table too
Yeah CJ is a terrific cutter, it would just be sooo symbiotic if Connor could add that.

Yeah CJ is a terrific cutter, it would just be sooo symbiotic if Connor could add that.
And add to it a PG that could dribble drive. Add JBos shooting and decision making to JTs athleticism/quickness. That'd make for a heck of a tough team to play against.

Latest posts