Concerns coming into the yr

Hawkfnntn

The obvious ones I suppose are Petras and the Oline. The O goes with how well they do and till they get out there I don't think anyone can say that there's no concerns with them... The skill guys I'm really pretty fired up about. I think the RBs are solid both Williams guys are 210 plus along with the Caleb Johnson at 220ish. WRs I'm ok with. More Johnson, Bruce and Brecht with Ragiaini sprinkled in would be ideal. If they try leaning on Nico too much that might not be smart...

TEs I'm concerned with in that it's such a thin room. I love how good Laporta and Lachey can be. But it's just them and the transfer Stillanos. That's it pretty much. So keeping those dudes all healthy is paramount. We haven't' recruited that position very well the last couple classes and it's starting to show.

Beyond that I get to the kicker. We'll be breaking in a new one of those and we've been spoiled rotten at that spot the last like 10 plus yrs hell going back further to Kaeding we've really not had a bad one. Here's to hoping whoever wins that gig carries on that great play because they'll be leaned on.

TEs I'm concerned with in that it's such a thin room. I love how good Laporta and Lachey can be. But it's just them and the transfer Stillanos. That's it pretty much. So keeping those dudes all healthy is paramount. We haven't' recruited that position very well the last couple classes and it's starting to show.
If I trust this staff to develop anyone, it's DBs and TEs. I think we will have someone serviceable in addition to these guys.

If I trust this staff to develop anyone, it's DBs and TEs. I think we will have someone serviceable in addition to these guys.
I'd sure like to. Just objectively looking at the roster though it is what it is. There's not another TE that's over 230 lbs that's been in the program 2 years that's ready to go play significant snaps. I just hope they put Laporta and Lachey both in bubble wrap most of summer camp.

Coaching of Offense, specifically QB.

The saving grace of all of this is that unlike the last time Ken O'Keefe left (which as we all recall was to coach in the National Football League), this time Ken will still be around to give advice. I know he's not technically "on the staff" or whatever other wishy washy shit they said, but mark my words, this is going to be just like Nick Saban stockpiling coaches down at Alabama and will lead to an amazing year out of the offense.

The obvious ones I suppose are Petras and the Oline. The O goes with how well they do and till they get out there I don't think anyone can say that there's no concerns with them... The skill guys I'm really pretty fired up about. I think the RBs are solid both Williams guys are 210 plus along with the Caleb Johnson at 220ish. WRs I'm ok with. More Johnson, Bruce and Brecht with Ragiaini sprinkled in would be ideal. If they try leaning on Nico too much that might not be smart...

Beyond that I get to the kicker. We'll be breaking in a new one of those and we've been spoiled rotten at that spot the last like 10 plus yrs hell going back further to Kaeding we've really not had a bad one. Here's to hoping whoever wins that gig carries on that great play because they'll be leaned on.

I am far from sold on the WRs. I do think they have potential, but not sure if they are ready to be consistent game-changers.

I underestimated the impact that ISM had on our offense during his last few years; teams schemed to minimize the damage he could do, and that opened things up for the rest of the offense. As much as anything, I think the lack of that threat hurt us last year.

Johnson will have to make huge strides to become that kind of a threat. His lingering abdominal injury that kept him out of the bowl, all of spring practice, and full-go summer training so far has me especially concerned.

I’m not worried about kicker. LeVar woods is a magician.

Rastetter was definitely a KF decision because Uncle Bruce had just promised $5 million to the football program which he reneged on.

If there is a weakness on D, it seems at this point that it would be DB depth. We are not sure about the corner opposite to Moss, or of the replacements for Belton or Koerner. They certainly have talent in Roberts, Harris, Nwankpa, Castro, Schulte, DeJean, Bracy, etc., but not a lot of experience. It seemed like last year we were incredibly deep at DB, and yet we were down to 3rd string, never-played-before corners in several games (we ask our corners to be very physical). What happens if we get to that same situation this year at one of our DB positions.

We all know what Parker can do, but I am guessing inexperience in the defensive backfield bites us a few times this year, like it did when we had to lean heavily on Merriweather and DJ Johnson when they were young guys.

Man, Stanley missed some notable deep throws at big times...but he also delivered some beautiful balls. I think many underestimated just how good he was.

Lack of a homerun hitter on offense.

Charlie Jones and Tyler Goodson could give you chunk yardage plays on offense and that element is gone. Methodically, going down the field, 10 plays,80 yards will still be a huge task for this offense. Both of the Williams' are better at grinding out yardage to move the chains, but you are going to need a guy who can get big yards when the offense is stalling out. Goodson could do that, we don't know if either Williams can.

Last edited:

Rastetter was definitely a KF decision because Uncle Bruce had just promised $5 million to the football program which he reneged on.

A super hot take on my part: Who will be more valuable to Iowa's success next year Petras or the FG kicker?

Same as pretty much every year...the offense and the defense having to carry it. Brian only draws more heat (but nothing will happen) if it remains a steaming pile of dog dung with being OC and "QB coach." Not exactly putting it out there, but pretty safe bet.

Lack of a homerun hitter on offense.

Charlie Jones and Tyler Goodson could give you chunk yardage plays on offense and that element is gone. Methodically, going down the field, 10 plays,80 yards will still be a huge task for this offense. Both of the Williams' are better at grinding out yardage to move the chains, but you are going to need a guy who can get big yards when the offense is stalling out. Goodson could do that, we don't know if either Williams can.
I'm hoping Johnson can be that at receiver. He's just gotta stay healthy and be used more.

Honestly with our Oline last yr we needed our RBs to be able to push the pile for an extra yard more so than get HRs. Goodson had way too many carries for like 1 yard or less because he'd go down on first contact. Both WIlliams boys against UK were falling forward/breaking tackles and getting extra yards after contact. There's just a huge difference between having a 2nd and 6 in our offense and a 2nd and 10. Which we far too often had. If the Williams boys can break a long one now and then that'd be great but our style of play isn't reliant upon big quick hitters in the running game. They need to help sustain drives and keep the clock moving more then what Goodson did last yr

Yeah we've just been so damn fortunate with kickers it seems like that I've taken it for granted that most aren't all that damn good like we've had. That just has to continue for us to be successful we lean on them a lot more than most.

Yeah glad the Rastetter days are long gone... I hadn't heard about any reneged deal with Bruce that's a lot of $$

A lot of legit concerns identified in this string. I share most of the concerns. I will sum up my biggest concern in one word: depth. While Iowa has always been a next man up program, I think we are a bit thinner across the board than is typical. What I mean is that I think there is a greater drop off this year between starters and the next wave. That is mainly because I think our starters are really talented this season on both sides of the ball. If the defense stays healthy, it could be one of the best ever at Iowa. But, a few key injuries could derail that.

The depth concern is even greater on offense, with thin depth at TE and WR. While we have depth at QB and OL, that is also where the biggest question marks on talent reside. The only room I feel pretty good about is RB, and then I remember we are Iowa and we attract injury to that room.

This team is certainly capable of winning 10+ games again this season, but if the injury bug hits in the wrong place, things could go South quick.

Yeah we've just been so damn fortunate with kickers it seems like that I've taken it for granted that most aren't all that damn good like we've had. That just has to continue for us to be successful we lean on them a lot more than most.

Yeah glad the Rastetter days are long gone... I hadn't heard about any reneged deal with Bruce that's a lot of $$
Back in ‘14 or ‘15 he publicly committed to donating 5 million over a certain number of years. He mad a couple payments and then stopped, it made the news back then but haven’t heard much since.

A lot of legit concerns identified in this string. I share most of the concerns. I will sum up my biggest concern in one word: depth. While Iowa has always been a next man up program, I think we are a bit thinner across the board than is typical. What I mean is that I think there is a greater drop off this year between starters and the next wave. That is mainly because I think our starters are really talented this season on both sides of the ball. If the defense stays healthy, it could be one of the best ever at Iowa. But, a few key injuries could derail that.

The depth concern is even greater on offense, with thin depth at TE and WR. While we have depth at QB and OL, that is also where the biggest question marks on talent reside. The only room I feel pretty good about is RB, and then I remember we are Iowa and we attract injury to that room.

This team is certainly capable of winning 10+ games again this season, but if the injury bug hits in the wrong place, things could go South quick.

I like your point that the drop-off between 1st string and 2nd is steeper...because of better top-line talent. In some positions (DL, notably), I think we have gotten to a point where there won't be much drop off among the top 8 or so. In other positions, losing a Campbell, Moss, or Keagan Johnson would be devastating.

Back in ‘14 or ‘15 he publicly committed to donating 5 million over a certain number of years. He mad a couple payments and then stopped, it made the news back then but haven’t heard much since.
Ah maybe covid got his business or some shit since then. I have no clue all that's news to me. That's the sort of stuff nobody keeps up with. It's headlines when it's talked about and promised initially then forgotten about.

I work with a guy who has represented several schools in breached grant/donation cases. They all have pretty much the same fact pattern. Some big swinging dick makes a pledge to a school. There is a grant or pledge agreement associated with it. The school does something to piss off the big swinging dick. Big swinging dick doesn't cut the next check. School calls him and says "what the F broheim?" Then they run up a few million bucks in legal fees pissing and moaning about whether the school breached and the school ALWAYS pleads poverty and says they detrimentally relied on the pledge in undertaking some hiring initiative or capital project. Then they settle.

It's a good thing I don't go to Iowa tailgates anymore because if I ever heard of a credible anecdotal story about Iowa taking a shitty player over a piss ant $5 million grant I would probably have an aneurysm on the spot.

Latest posts