Coach Fran has a "Bob Knight" kind of basketball mind

ChosenChildren

The analysis we get from this guy in the press conferences is amazing. He breaks things down and isn't afraid to share. I think it would be a blast playing for this guy - so positive and upbeat. He makes it fun, and gosh darn it, IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN. These are kids (and a bunch of grown up kids in the stands) and it is supposed to be fun.

Although their personalities are different, the analysis reminds me of Bob Knight or John Wooden. It is really is interesting.

When I hear him do interviews on the radio, I tell myself "self, I could listen to him talk about basketball all day."

Agreed on all the praise for Fran.

I'm (obviously) biased, but from what I've seen of him in his short time at Iowa I'm kind of surprised no other major conference programs ever gave him a shot.

Although I'm glad they didn't.

Bob Knight? Fun? What's the correlation? Chair abuse. Not sure I've ever heard "fun" to describe Bob Knight.

If Bob Knight had the kind of defensive team we had last year, he would lose his mind. In fact, he wouldn't allow it.
On the other hand, doubt he could build an offensive team like FM can, either.

I think the OP is saying that FM can communicate with people and has a passion for the game similar to how Bob Knight used to.

I think the OP is saying that FM can communicate with people and has a passion for the game similar to how Bob Knight used to.

Bob Knight was a good communicator? He was a gruff bully who used his stature and prestige to push people around. This hagiographic praise of Fran is taking illogical turns.

At one time, yes he was. You may not have liked his demeanor, but he was fascinating to listen to when he talked hoops. He is now old and angry and irrelevant.

Hagiographic is now trending on Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com

Example of a younger good communicator....the guy compared to Fran:

Bobby Knight Throws a Chair - YouTube

Can't wait to show my kids good communication. Didn't he mentor Steve Alford who is so loved and honored on this board? Now compare style to Fran....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab...fery-takes-anger-folding-chair-034914323.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Example of a younger good communicator....the guy compared to Fran:

Bobby Knight Throws a Chair - YouTube

Can't wait to show my kids good communication. Didn't he mentor Steve Alford who is so loved and honored on this board? Now compare style to Fran....

Iowa

Knight won 3 national titles, 1 NIT, and 14 Big titles. I think he communicated pretty well.

Most of Indiana's players loved the guy. He was tough, but consistent and fair.

They won 2 national titles before BK and I think 8 Big 10 titles. So?

BK half time motivation speech: Bobby Knight - angry motivation speech - - YouTube Not suitable for children....
Yes the guy was very emotional and even out of control sometimes. He still was very passionate about the game and was entertaining and informing about it as well.
Take anyone you consider a good communicator and I can point out something they didn't do well. Doesn't make them any less a communicator.

Latest posts