CJ Has Some Wheels But ...............

MelroseHawkins

.......... with one QB with starting experience and a couple freshman behind him, how loose do you think Ferentz will let him play? Will he let CJ use his legs and natural talent or do you see Ferentz wanting to keep him in the pocket to protect him more? Did Rudock leaving potentially change how tight the reigns are with CJ running? It will be interesting.

I think the neutering of Beathard's game has already begun to some extent. There was an interview he did last year where he stated (paraphrasing) that it wasn't always a bad thing to punt and that just because he sees a 1 on 1 matchup outside doesn't mean they always have to go for the home run. I did a quick, cursory search for it and couldn't seem to locate it. I am not sure how well that's paraphrased and I'm hoping I didn't completely bastardize the quote...but I remember hearing the 1 on 1 piece and it just shocked me that it was said.

That said, I have to think they will build some sliding practice into indy time with the QB's this fall.

.......... with one QB with starting experience and a couple freshman behind him, how loose do you think Ferentz will let him play? Will he let CJ use his legs and natural talent or do you see Ferentz wanting to keep him in the pocket to protect him more? Did Rudock leaving potentially change how tight the reigns are with CJ running? It will be interesting.

After watching the spring practice in West Des moines, I would ask, "what pocket"? C J woulda been killed on about every play.

CJ needs to pick and choose his plays to run with abandon and lower his head and shoulders. Late in a close game and you need first down then go for it. First and ten break the pocket and run for 5 yards then slide.

CJ will not play being afraid but he does need to be smart. I still hope weigers can improved by the end of august.

The offensive line and Tyler Weigers are both looking much better in practices now. Come this fall o-line and back up QB play will be solid.

Beathard will play the way he wants to just like Stanzi did during his junior season. We always see our best quarterback play when the coaching staff is unable to keep the starter under their thumb. Lack of a viable #2 gives an Iowa quarterback freedom that doesn't normally exist in the program.....

He better be practicing his slide because every team out there will be trying to knock him out of the game.

The offensive line and Tyler Weigers are both looking much better in practices now. Come this fall o-line and back up QB play will be solid.
Do you have a source, or are you driving all the way in from Chicago to watch practices?

I think the neutering of Beathard's game has already begun to some extent. There was an interview he did last year where he stated (paraphrasing) that it wasn't always a bad thing to punt and that just because he sees a 1 on 1 matchup outside doesn't mean they always have to go for the home run. I did a quick, cursory search for it and couldn't seem to locate it. I am not sure how well that's paraphrased and I'm hoping I didn't completely bastardize the quote...but I remember hearing the 1 on 1 piece and it just shocked me that it was said.

That said, I have to think they will build some sliding practice into indy time with the QB's this fall.

I remember that interview and you were pretty spot on. I think he mentioned the check down being ok either instead of punt or he said both. I'm sure the staff will drill into him to be smart when he runs (and rightfully so ) but that's not the neutering they will be emphasizing. The check down will be the main focus.

I have inside sources. What is the deal with Chicago? I have not been there for years.

What is this source basing his info on? Spring practice concluded several months ago and I don't think fall practice has started yet...so what was the "looking better NOW" in reference to in a prior post?

I have inside sources. What is the deal with Chicago? I have not been there for years.

6151124965.gif
images

Hey, Nick ... those voices ... not sources.

14987cc0d8313c49b448118cedcf7d7a402e5225e07bc67cac94c2d9b65c875a.jpg

For you skeptics there are summer workouts. It is a very important part of development for the athletes. These guys are coming along great in strength and conditioning. While not officially a practice it is just as important.

Latest posts