CJ Frederick

NorthKCHawk

Saw multiple stories during the blackout that he is out for the season due to injury. I really don't like how I feel about this. I usually don't root against kids when they leave the program, and I certainly don't like it when a young man suffers a serious injury. But, I was not particularly sad when I read the story.

I put CJ in the Moss camp - 2 players who were staring at big seasons and starting roles with major minutes that Fran built into potential all conference caliber players that bit the hand that fed them. They shit on Fran for a blue blood that they wouldn't have had the opportunity to play at without Fran's development and eye for talent. I don't wish anyone bad fortunes, but I also don't mind when it doesn't work out for guys like this.

Nunge, that's a completely different situation.

I'm shocked that CJ would ever get injured let alone miss the season due to injury. Guess he's just as fragile a Wildcat as he was a Hawkeye. Don't wish the guy any ill will, but I'd be lying if this didn't surprise me the slightest bit. Hard to really miss a player that seemed to be out of the line up as often as he was in it.

I put CJ in the Moss camp - 2 players who were staring at big seasons and starting roles with major minutes that Fran built into potential all conference caliber players that bit the hand that fed them. They shit on Fran for a blue blood that they wouldn't have had the opportunity to play at without Fran's development and eye for talent. I don't wish anyone bad fortunes, but I also don't mind when it doesn't work out for guys like this.

CJ was at least going home to his childhood fav team. All the drama his uncle stirred up and the way the kid bailed after having been dishonest to Fran is what irked me anyway. Fran deserved way better and that's why Fran did what he did when announcing his departure in such a non ceremonial way. I don't wish ill upon the kid but I'm not wanting to see him doing well cutting down any nets either.

I think we are all saying the same thing. If you are going to leave the Iowa program, leave with class. We will all wish you well and probably follow your progress.

So how much eligibility does CJF have left? He is entering that Jbo territory where he will be playing college ball until he is 24. Btw, there is nothing wrong with that, not judging, just pointing it out.

Is CJF and Moss a good comp? Moss saw CJF coming and knew his minutes would be compromised and bolted. CJF had a clear lane and as long as he was healthy, he was going to get 30+ minutes a game. CJF's departure feels a lot more shadey to me.

Sux for CJ, I guess, except I read something that they had more than capable personnel to fill in, so maybe sitting out a year will work to his benefit when half the team declares for the NBA. But of course Californiapari will have that many one and done'rs lined up next year too. Not sure I will ever understand why a person would forego a year where he could shine and sniff some NBA interest, maybe, and transfer to a place you can got lost on the bench.............

CJ was even worse than Moss—as fast as that whole thing unfolded there’s zero chance Calipari’s people weren’t talking to him for quite a while beforehand. And to make it worse CJ flat out lied several times about the circumstances.

Nunge did well in a Xavier game I saw a bit of last week. I think he had 11 and 7.

Update. Jack did even better last night, and against Ohio State no less. 14 points, 14 boards, and three steals.

Last edited:
Is CJF and Moss a good comp? Moss saw CJF coming and knew his minutes would be compromised and bolted. CJF had a clear lane and as long as he was healthy, he was going to get 30+ minutes a game. CJF's departure feels a lot more shadey to me.
Problem is we could use a healthy CJ if we keep shooting from deep like this.

I do like the athleticism and defensive intensity some of the current players provide however, amd I might have posted last spring or summer that I wouldn't mind sacrificing outside shooting for more defense and athleticism.

Problem is we could use a healthy CJ if we keep shooting from deep like this.

I do like the athleticism and defensive intensity some of the current players provide however, amd I might have posted last spring or summer that I wouldn't mind sacrificing outside shooting for more defense and athleticism.
Lol. How does that crow taste? We just hit 20 3s tonight. Record. What else you got?

Lol. How does that crow taste? We just hit 20 3s tonight. Record. What else you got?
Peyton and JBo were certainly on tonight.

I forgot the damn game started at six and didn't even see it. All there games have started late this year. They're obviously better than they showed the previous two games at shooting the three and won't always be as hot as last night. Always liked CJ but he had trouble staying healthy once the important conference games rolled around and its not a good thing when certain things are going on behind the scenes.

Beside Luka, I think the player we are going to miss the most is Jack Nunge. We are going to be awfully small once league play rolls around but I may end up eating crow there as well. If you're athletic enough in today's NCAA you don't have to be big. Just ask Oregon, USC, Alabama or Arkansas, all of whom made nice NCAA runs last year.

CJ was even worse than Moss—as fast as that whole thing unfolded there’s zero chance Calipari’s people weren’t talking to him for quite a while beforehand. And to make it worse CJ flat out lied several times about the circumstances.
All I know is Fran handled that a whole lot better then I woulda... When he put out the press release announcing his transfer in such a bland unceramonial way as compared to how he's done it for literally every single other kid he's had that's done it was all that needed to be said. That was his way of saying I know you lied and were being shady about it all but I'm taking the high road.

CJ Made Fran look like a fool when Fran just a few days before had publicly said he wasn't going anywhere since they'd recently talked. Fran had been discussing his rehab more then anything and he was pretty much back ready to go at that time. Yet the rumors were out there in full bloom and I'm sure Fran asked him directly if he was good and staying. Fran is as blunt and direct as it gets so with having CM on the team there's no way he didn't know about the rumors leading up to it he doesn't live under a rock.

The timeline of events and context to it all were important to take note of. I'd be curious how his teammates truly feel about how that went but no need to stir that up either.

Mosses deal was pretty strait forward CJ was going to get a chunk of his mins if he'd stayed and he figured if he was going to not play as much he may as well chase a ring at Kansas. I believe he told Arkansas he was coming before that before changing his mind. Hard telling what that was all about because Kansas wanted him from the git go I thought. But we shouldn't have had a problem with Moss leaving it didn't hurt us in fact roster wise it helped and he wanted to go.

CJ could have been a key wingman for Keegan this year and really shined. He instead ditched us for a team with 6 or 7 Keegan level guys (all fighting over the same ball!)

UK wouldn't have touched CJ with a 10 ft pole outta HS, but were happy to pick him up now in reaction to some poor 3 pt shooting on their part last year. It's like the NBA free agent market, except NBA players are at least guaranteed to get paid whether the team ends up needing them or not. All Calipari can offer is minutes. By the time CJ is healthy (if/when that ever happens), he better hope UK still needs a little boost in 3 pt shooting, or else he will be an absolute afterthought on the bench.

I have seen some UK fans making Tyler Herro comparisons. I don't know what to say to that besides "lol". I get the similarities in terms of physical appearance, but as players? You've gotta be kidding. Herro is a friggin' prodigy. Credit to Calipari I guess, but UK fans apparently think those grow on trees. I think CJ could have really helped us out - permanent fixture as a starter playing as many minutes as he could take. But he's on what's essentially a G-League roster now, let's see how those minutes shake out for Tyler Herro 2.0.

CJ could have been a key wingman for Keegan this year and really shined. He instead ditched us for a team with 6 or 7 Keegan level guys (all fighting over the same ball!)

UK wouldn't have touched CJ with a 10 ft pole outta HS, but were happy to pick him up now in reaction to some poor 3 pt shooting on their part last year. It's like the NBA free agent market, except NBA players are at least guaranteed to get paid whether the team ends up needing them or not. All Calipari can offer is minutes. By the time CJ is healthy (if/when that ever happens), he better hope UK still needs a little boost in 3 pt shooting, or else he will be an absolute afterthought on the bench.

I have seen some UK fans making Tyler Herro comparisons. I don't know what to say to that besides "lol". I get the similarities in terms of physical appearance, but as players? You've gotta be kidding. Herro is a friggin' prodigy. Credit to Calipari I guess, but UK fans apparently think those grow on trees. I think CJ could have really helped us out - permanent fixture as a starter playing as many minutes as he could take. But he's on what's essentially a G-League roster now, let's see how those minutes shake out for Tyler Herro 2.0.
“All Calipari can offer is minutes “. HA HA HA (not jabbing you)

Why does Nunge get a "Get Out Of Jail Card"?

I realize he didn't go to a blue blood, but, besides his injury situation he was to come back and play a pretty big role at Iowa. Why did he leave?