Carver Hawkeye Arena

BaryGarta

During today's recognition of Roy Marble there was mention of the "next" renovation to the arena. I'm curious about everyone's thoughts: Is it time to not renovate but rather replace CHA? Preferably with an above ground facility that is more with the times? Don't get me wrong, I love Carver, but it's architecture certainly creates revenue limitations. Just curious...

Yeah, Kinnick is kinda old, too. They should just bulldoze the place and build a shiny new stadium in Coralville. (j/k)

Carver Hawkeye is not that old by NCAA standards, but its style is certainly different. The hole in the ground approach does not lend itself much to creating a separate upper level seating, but unless you want a 22,000 seat NBA United Center type arena, you probably don't need an upper deck.

I am not sure what the plans are for renovation. I never liked how the aisle space takes over as you get lower level seating. It seems like to me they could get rid of half the aisles once you get about 12 rows from the bottom row. Just have half the aisles stop at row 12.

Just my opinion.

I was thinking more in terms of suites and a mid court score board than total seating. Not to mention that the design means the better your seat, the longer it takes to get to amenities.

I'm guessing the hospital has proposed this. When I went to the U of I we partied in the east parking before and after (and during) games. Now that space is hospital.

Everybody always want the newer, the shinier, the fancier. But I love CHA and would hate to see it go.

I'd like to see suites for one thing. But most importantly find a way to reseat those fans who like to sit on their hands on the upper levels of the bowl and put the students closer to the floor. Whatever it takes to make it as intimidating as possible for opponents.

If you were never in the old Fieldhouse...you don't know what building shaking loud is. That place was home court advantage. However, the view through the steel beams was a little limited at times.

The place literally shook when the Hawks were on a run. And the fans tried to make it that way. The atmosphere was so much different.

Carver can be very loud down at court level. I have sat in all kinds of places at Carver. When sitting up high some of the sound is lessened by the big open walkway, concourse area. But when you are down by the court where the players are and the crowd is really vocal it can be loud.

I would wonder if they could add a lot of clear plexi-glass panels right behind the last row of seats to help keep in sound.

Last edited:
Oh and yes the old fieldhouse was extremely loud with for bball and wrestling. When Gable first had the hawks going for 10 years the wrestling meets were deafening against ISU and other big matches

If you were never in the old Fieldhouse...you don't know what building shaking loud is. That place was home court advantage. However, the view through the steel beams was a little limited at times.

The place literally shook when the Hawks were on a run. And the fans tried to make it that way. The atmosphere was so much different.

I was there in the days when Ralph Miller was smoking on the bench. Everyone was allowed to smoke. There was a blue smoky haze hanging above the court by the second half.

I think they should have designated sections for people who want to sit and for people who are ok with standing. Seems easy enough and everyone wins.

I was there in the days when Ralph Miller was smoking on the bench. Everyone was allowed to smoke. There was a blue smoky haze hanging above the court by the second half.

I remember the old field house which maybe seated 12,000. The seating was made of heavy metal steel and when you got people stomping their feet it was loud it had no acoustics at all. On the east end were wooden bleachers that you would see at an outdoor stadium. Add the noise created with them to the metal seating and it was noisy. If you got a seat behind a post it was work to watch the game.

Some people that are old enough to remember know that a track ran around the perimeter of the interior. The old Eastern Iowa Hawkeye Conference used it for an indoor track meet in the early spring. I got to run on it. Those were the days of University High School, which was a member, so I figure that is why the EIHC got to use it. I have a lot of fond memories of that place.

There is an article in the Gazette today that outlines, briefly, the potential renovation plan for CHA. I would hate to see it change too much; I love the fact that the concourse runs around the top of the arena...unique. It can be pretty darn loud in there, and yes, I saw a lot of games in the old field house. Had season tickets as a student when Miller's Six Pack kicked butt. Watched Lute take the program up a level and Sam Williams and Ronnie Lester were my two favorite players.

There is an article in the Gazette today that outlines, briefly, the potential renovation plan for CHA. I would hate to see it change too much; I love the fact that the concourse runs around the top of the arena...unique. It can be pretty darn loud in there, and yes, I saw a lot of games in the old field house. Had season tickets as a student when Miller's Six Pack kicked butt. Watched Lute take the program up a level and Sam Williams and Ronnie Lester were my two favorite players.

Do you have a link to this? I tried checking it out but couldn't find it. I woul find some way to put in elevators down to the mid or lowever levels for seniors that have problems walking up and down all those steps. Put sky boxes in that will close the concourse(this will put an end to early exits that allow people to stand and watch from there) it would give a place for the high rollers that are sitting In the good seats below. They can host parties there for their peeps. Put students behind the benches at least 10 rows. Fill in the eisles at that level with seats.

Appreciate the thread, fun to talk about future and how to improve Iowa basketball's environment. I agree with some comments that Carver still has plenty of life left in the arena. But it could use a few improvements yet, and hopefully is something that could begin to be started around 2018-2020

Ideas
-Removing middle two isles on courtside seats for the first twelve rows

-Add plexiglass 12' high between concourse and seating, above that possibly close off area with walling. Could cover walling with historic pictures of past coaches and players in a large wallpaper decal, and leave area where retired jerseys go

-To move students to court requires doing something special for boosters. Implementing suites may be the most challenging improvement to add but also could raise a lot of money. In suites Iowa could allow sale of alcohol.

The question is where do you put the suites. Midcourt up halfway? Or would they be accepting in switching best view for convenient and comfortable seating. Maybe at the top where you would have the most room to build a closed off area, that had its own bar, and tvs. You could still sell premium courtside seating on maybe one side or just behind basket.

Heres a high-res picture of carver to look at with these ideas in mind
https://cdn.artstation.rocks/p/assets/images/images/000/229/169/large/dave-senter-conceptuals-3d-model-conc-university-of-iowa-carver-hawkeye-arena0005.jpg?1412131804

img_1965.jpg

Here's suites at a few arenas
dscf31691.jpg

suites-4.jpg

Last edited:
*Something's* got to replace those original eye-sore analog scoreboards. They are really crummy and hard to see. Digital folks, digital.