Brown: Loss Doesn't Define Spencer Lee

Hell no it doesn't. I was too young to see Gable but I saw pretty much the rest and Spencer the most dominant I've ever seen. Legend.

I was almost physically sick watching Lee lose. I can only image how crushing of a blow this was to him mentally. There was some criticism about Lee medically forfeiting after the loss. I wish he could have came back to wrestle, but I am not going to question Brands or speak to that.

What I did see was Lee (later) signing autographs and present to support his fellow wrestlers which I'm sure had to be tough for him. He will bounce back and I want for him to continue to grow as a wrestler and as a person.

Gable even mentioned as much as he is known for what his accomplishments were, he is haunted by the loss. I think sports in general show you on any given day you can lose to a lesser opponent if you are not ready. Wrestling specifically speaks to this because you have no teammate to pick you up.

I think it does define his career, but only in that he's now one of the top 5 wrestlers at IA and top 15 anywhere. Without the loss, he would be tops at IA and right up there just behind Gable and Cael anywhere.

Lee is human, i.e. he makes mistakes, both on and off the mat. His "excuses are for wusses"comment was immature when he made it, as is obvious now. I don't think anyone would ever suggest Lee should be defined by his last loss -- that's a straw man argument. What he MAY be partially -- and fairly -- defined by is how he reacted to disappointment....which, let's face it, he's experienced almost none of over the past 5 years on the mat. It's easy to suck it up when you're winning. True character and priorities can also be revealed after losses.
Warner said it best after the tourney was over: he said after he lost, he didn't feel like wrestling and continuing in the tournament either. But he did, for himself and for the team. And by gutting it out with effort and skill he won several more matches....and was glad he did.
Kudos to him.

Spencer before the match I noticed he was just a shell of himself. Wasn't surprised to see the outcome he was sick.

Latest posts