Breakout Player of 2012

Which unknown/inexperienced player will have the biggest breakout season in 2012?

• Total voters
The first person I thought of was Carl Davis, who I think could be the star of the DL for the next three years. He wasn't on the list, so I picked "Other."

I'm going with Brandon Scherff. He's got something to prove at the left tackle spot. If he struggles...it's going to be a long year. I think he's a major key to the offense this year. If he can be left alone out there, we are in good shape along the offensive line.

The first person I thought of was Carl Davis, who I think could be the star of the DL for the next three years. He wasn't on the list, so I picked "Other."

Other than Scherff, I'd put Davis at the top of the list. If he breaks out and Alvis get's back to where he was or better since he will be heavier and stronger, our DL gets much better and could become a huge surprise. Think about if Jaleel can handle things as a freshman, our tackles could be 310 and 315 at times during the game. I don't ever remember a time when that was the case. Considering these guys have 3 years to play together, 2013 and 2014 especially are going to be very fun to watch as they will certainly develop. I like it.

Carl Davis coming up big would absolutely be a godsend for this defense.

On defense, it will be the secondary coming up with a lot of INTS and big plays. Hyde and Miller steady, but my guess is Nico Law or BJ Lowery will be the breakout players.
On offense, two breakout positions. Led by CJF, we will get to hear about 4 tight ends names called often. But here is where I go out on a limb......in a un-Ferentz like move, we will have Garmon and Bullock getting about 800 all purpose yards each, followed by Hill and Johnson combining for 1000 rush and receiving yards.

The curse is over. This is our time. AIRBHG.....come at me bro!

I think that with a weak WR corp in the sense of unproven kids that will play alot and also in terms of experience. Davis is the only receiver that any of our opponents have even heard of. (except KMM I bet Pitt remembers him) Because of that I feel CJF will be JVB and G Davis's toy. I don't think Davis is a dummy. When he had great players at Texas he found ways to highlight what they do best and maximize it. I think CJF is a mismatch nightmare and if all goes well this year we'll be wondering if CJF will be back for sr yr or not.

I think that with a weak WR corp in the sense of unproven kids that will play alot and also in terms of experience. Davis is the only receiver that any of our opponents have even heard of. (except KMM I bet Pitt remembers him) Because of that I feel CJF will be JVB and G Davis's toy. I don't think Davis is a dummy. When he had great players at Texas he found ways to highlight what they do best and maximize it. I think CJF is a mismatch nightmare and if all goes well this year we'll be wondering if CJF will be back for sr yr or not.

if we don't exploit the mismatches with CJF, the boo birds will have a new favorite target to replace KOK.
we need CJF to step up for us to have success. i'm guessing Nico will be the breakout player on D, just not as crucial as CJF.

I'm going with James Vandenberg because if he doesn't breakout, we're ****ed... well even more ****ed.

breakout? He had a 25-7 TD/INT ratio last year. I think he's shown what he can do

Gotta be a running back, though there's plenty of room for a defensive star to emerge. We've been missing that one guy who sets the tone (as in, knocks the snot out of people) on the D.

I expect CJ Fed to have a great season, but he's no longer under the radar, so I couldn't vote for him.

breakout? He had a 25-7 TD/INT ratio last year. I think he's shown what he can do

Gotta be a running back, though there's plenty of room for a defensive star to emerge. We've been missing that one guy who sets the tone (as in, knocks the snot out of people) on the D.

I expect CJ Fed to have a great season, but he's no longer under the radar, so I couldn't vote for him.

CJF could triple his stats from last year. Hopefully and probably more. That to me is the defention of breaking out. He's not under the radar in Hawkeye nation land because of all the hype he's had and local press. But in the college football world and even big 10. He hasn't done anything yet. He's still pretty darn unknown outside of fort kinnick

Yes, he's shown he can lock onto receivers, have no pocket presence and throw darts into the ground when a defender shows the slightest hint of pressure.

You can quote the 25-7 stat all you want, but the fact remains if JVB has the exact same year in all facets this year, our ceiling is 6-6.

Yes, he's shown he can lock onto receivers, have no pocket presence and throw darts into the ground when a defender shows the slightest hint of pressure.

You can quote the 25-7 stat all you want, but the fact remains if JVB has the exact same year in all facets this year, our ceiling is 6-6.

I'm pretty sure 'locking onto receivers and throwing darts into the ground" were in KOK's playbook for what to do when you are calling predictable plays and the defense is pinning their ears back. I think JVB has a much better year, not that last year was bad for a first year starter, but I think he makes a huge leap with a more progressive passing offense and one that emphasizes getting the ball out quickly.

I'm pretty sure 'locking onto receivers and throwing darts into the ground" were in KOK's playbook for what to do when you are calling predictable plays and the defense is pinning their ears back. I think JVB has a much better year, not that last year was bad for a first year starter, but I think he makes a huge leap with a more progressive passing offense and one that emphasizes getting the ball out quickly.

i for one hope we finally emphasize hot routes and not calling long developing plays in blitz situations.

i for one hope we finally emphasize hot routes and not calling long developing plays in blitz situations.

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner. How many times did we see this during KOK's tenure. And we NEVER were consistent using the backs in the passing game and getting them in space against linebackers. I think this changes with Davis. If D. Johnson can catch the ball, he would be a nightmare on a swing pass against a linebacker...quick, darting, and good for making a few people miss.

Fiedorowicz. Lowery was a close second for me; I see him possibly having a Spievey-esque coming out party this year.

Latest posts