Big Ten Media Days

guffus

Iowa players joining Ferentz are

center Tyler Linderbaum,
wide receiver Tyrone Tracy Jr.,
defensive end Zach VanValkenburg

Linderbaum was a no brainer.

I thought it was strange with Iowa's strength in the secondary that none of the DB were on the list. Also interesting that RB Goodson is not going.

Also although Tracy may be ready for a breakout year, he has not come close to any all Big Ten type year so far. So he seems like an odd choice to me for Big Ten media days.

center Tyler Linderbaum,

I thought it was strange with Iowa's strength in the secondary that none of the DB were on the list. Also interesting that RB Goodson is not going.

Also although Tracy may be ready for a breakout year, he has not come close to any all Big Ten type year so far. So he seems like an odd choice to me for Big Ten media days.
They don’t always pick the best players on the team. A lot of it has to do with leadership and other qualities that the staff feel make a big impact.

They used to go with senior captains I think and QB. Linderbaum seems like a no brainer and taking Tracy over Petras is an interesting decision. They had to take somebody on the defensive side as to not take 3 offensive players. Zach being a senior and a leader doesn't surprise me either.

center Tyler Linderbaum,

I'm not too surprised Goodson isn't going. He's gotten his fair share of publicity. The choice between Petras and Tracy is what I find it interesting. Tracy was the 3rd/4th WR last yr. Petras was/is the starting QB that most programs would like to be having looked at as their leader.

As a fan of this program and just knowing that so much is riding on Petras that the team not sending him for this doesn't exactly bode the greatest. Idealy having him step up to be not just a leader but 'the leader' of the team would be much preferred. All eyes are going to be on him this year you can't hide your Qb in college football. On the field especially or off. So I don't know if there's something there there or if I'm just over thinking it all...

They don’t always pick the best players on the team. A lot of it has to do with leadership and other qualities that the staff feel make a big impact.
Tracy is pretty good and any d end of any playing time at Iowa is likely pretty good.

I'm not too surprised Goodson isn't going. He's gotten his fair share of publicity. The choice between Petras and Tracy is what I find it interesting. Tracy was the 3rd/4th WR last yr. Petras was/is the starting QB that most programs would like to be having looked at as their leader.

As a fan of this program and just knowing that so much is riding on Petras that the team not sending him for this doesn't exactly bode the greatest. Idealy having him step up to be not just a leader but 'the leader' of the team would be much preferred. All eyes are going to be on him this year you can't hide your Qb in college football. On the field especially or off. So I don't know if there's something there there or if I'm just over thinking it all...
I wouldn't be surprised if after the stuff that went on last year if they let players decide. Maybe not.

FWIW, OSU, Wisconsin, Purdue, and Michigan aren't sending their QBs...I didn't look at the other teams.

I wouldn't be surprised if after the stuff that went on last year if they let players decide. Maybe not.

FWIW, OSU, Wisconsin, Purdue, and Michigan aren't sending their QBs...I didn't look at the other teams.
Yeah all that was certain to me is that they weren't going to send all white kids. I hadn't seen the breakdown of the other schools either. I look at QB as if he's your returning starter and leader of your program you should want him there. Maybe it's a confidence thing amongst coaches towards him after spring ball? Or as you said maybe the players themselves vote on that. Or I'm just putting way way way too much thought into something pretty trivial. But I'm at work bored with nothing better to do so.... haha

If there was ever a year to send 2 players of color, this was the year. Linderbaum was a given. Tracy over Petras is an easy call, as coaches and everyone else expect Tracy to be 1 of the team's top 2 offensive players in the coming year. If I was coach, I would have chosen Goodson over VanValkenburg. If they wanted a defensive player, could have replaced Tracy with DB Hankins, who like Linderbaum passed up the NFL for another year with the Hawks. I remember a few years ago being dumbfounded when I saw they were sending an all-white team to Media Days, when the makeup of the entire squad was something like 40-50% African-American. That told me there was some serious tone-deafness at the top.

If there was ever a year to send 2 players of color, this was the year. Linderbaum was a given. Tracy over Petras is an easy call, as coaches and everyone else expect Tracy to be 1 of the team's top 2 offensive players in the coming year. If I was coach, I would have chosen Goodson over VanValkenburg. If they wanted a defensive player, could have replaced Tracy with DB Hankins, who like Linderbaum passed up the NFL for another year with the Hawks. I remember a few years ago being dumbfounded when I saw they were sending an all-white team to Media Days, when the makeup of the entire squad was something like 40-50% African-American. That told me there was some serious tone-deafness at the top.
My guess is they went with VanValkenburg because they didn't want to not send a defensive player. He's a 5th yr senior and the leader of that group. Had Nixon came back he'd have been a no brainer to have gone instead.

Besides that the LBs are white (Jacobs is still green and inexperienced underclassmen) Besides him Hankins is the only other minority in the starting lineup besides the youngsters on the Dline.

Latest posts