Big Ten Championship Game

Gibsonian

By my view I believe we are looking at an approximately 50:50 chance that Iowa will play Michigan in the Big Championship game. For that to happen all we need is:

a. 2 more Iowa victories or 1 Iowa win and 1 Badger loss - Highly probable
b. Ohio State beats Michigan St. - Highly probable
c. Michigan wins out - 50:50 probablility

Michigan has Ohio State at home in their regular season finale and Ohio State has not faced a defense that good to date. Michigan's offense might be improving, esp passing game.

Iowa vs Michigan or Beathard vs Rudock would be quite the drama and very good for Iowa football. We would get a lot of good publicity that would help get our name out to some recruits that really don't have Iowa in their vocabulary. I still say we get in the 4 team playoff if we are undefeated Big Ten champs.

What a wild season this one could be. We might be talking about it until we're all dead, and maybe even after!

Last edited:
Iowa needs to win 2 if Wisconsin wins out. How bad would it be if Rudock ruined our undefeated season?

Iowa needs 2 more wins to clinch the west (assuming Wisconsin wins out) but still probable. an Iowa/Michigan championship game would be a lot of fun for Iowa fans but playing OSU in the title game would likely do the same if not more for publicity and recruiting.

Whatever happens, its a lot of fun being able to talk about all these scenarios! GO HAWKS!

We beat Wisconsin head to head. Wouldn't that put us in Championship if we are both sporting 1 loss at season end?

What would that say having both Iowa QB's leading the teams in the championship game. Well Rudock being the ex-Hawk, anyway. This from a school that in many eyes hasn't been the best at developing QB's. That storyline would have some legs to it and could make Iowa look really good.

Remember all those who were pizzed that Ferentz was so supportive of Rudock and didn't limit his transfer choices. Look how that turned out now and makes Iowa & Ferentz look. Sometimes Karma works in the opposite way and doing the opposite of Bo Ryan can be a positive.

How come? I'm not questioning but are there stats or reasoning showing this? How come Ohio St wouldn't have the same or better? Am I missing something?

Probably because the odds of OSU making the championship game are longer than Iowa making it. Keep in mind if OSU loses to MSU, and MSU wins out, MSU is in. If OSU loses to Michigan, and Michigan wins out, Michigan is in. So I'm guessing when you calculate the odds of OSU beating both MSU and Michigan it will be tougher to do that Iowa winning 2 out of 3 of Minny, Purdue and Nebraska.

Probably because the odds of OSU making the championship game are longer than Iowa making it. Keep in mind if OSU loses to MSU, and MSU wins out, MSU is in. If OSU loses to Michigan, and Michigan wins out, Michigan is in. So I'm guessing when you calculate the odds of OSU beating both MSU and Michigan it will be tougher to do that Iowa winning 2 out of 3 of Minny, Purdue and Nebraska.

I see. Good point. Ohio St has yet to progress to the level like last year up to this point. They can be had, IMO. Last year, they were steamrolling at the end.

My bad, forgetting we have 3 games left! I'll try to correct my original post.
It is going to set up well. Take care of business this week against minny and we can clinch the division at home on senior day. MUST take care of business this week though.

It is going to set up well. Take care of business this week against minny and we can clinch the division at home on senior day. MUST take care of business this week though.

Damned skippy on that! One game at a time, one opponent in your horizon, and continuous (and this is hugely important) improvement in all phases of game, including our coaching. To achieve the previously unachievable you have to improve each week, and we have pretty much done this, in one area or another.

Latest posts