Bielema: We're not sexy

spliff45

Lolz...

Bo Mattingly@SportsTalkwBo

Bielema: We’re never going to be the sexy school that wins recruits just by blowing them a kiss. You have to develop the ones who can play.

The Bielema discussions have recently had me trying to come up with an example of a head coach that went on to a bigger stage with success to only come back to a rebuilding project at his alma mater that by many opinions would have represented a step down in a career path. I'm talking head coaches that left while things were on the upswing......not those that were fired or dismissed.

Any examples?

I'm not one of those who has ever wished for Bielema as our next coach....he always seems to do something to lose games he shouldn't just when you think his team is about to reach the next level. But would I take him over Klunk? Hells yes!!!

The Bielema discussions have recently had me trying to come up with an example of a head coach that went on to a bigger stage with success to only come back to a rebuilding project at his alma mater that by many opinions would have represented a step down in a career path. I'm talking head coaches that left while things were on the upswing......not those that were fired or dismissed.

Any examples?

How about Nick Saban in the future, rebuilt MSU, heads to LSU and rebuilds and wins natty championship, heads to Miami to rebuild and finds he doesnt like the pros, and then heads to bama, albeit not a step down type of program, to rebuild them past one natty champ.

Would nick ever go back to MSU?? Probably not

Any examples?

How in the world is Arkansas a "bigger stage"? Arkansas has won 35 games over the last 5 years, Iowa 34. Since 2000, Iowa has won 115 to Arkansas 106. Since 1980 Iowa has 253 wins to Arkansas 246. Arkansas has 2 conference championships over that time to Iowa's 5. Arkansas last conference title was 1989 in the Southwest conference, Iowa has 2 since then.

People that think Arkansas is some Superior program recently, or over the last 35 years makes me LOLOLOL. That all said, Bret ain't coming here, and it has to do with $$$$, not Arkansas being some powerhouse.

How in the world is Arkansas a "bigger stage"? Arkansas has won 35 games over the last 5 years, Iowa 34. Since 2000, Iowa has won 115 to Arkansas 106. Since 1980 Iowa has 253 wins to Arkansas 246. Arkansas has 2 conference championships over that time to Iowa's 5. Arkansas last conference title was 1989 in the Southwest conference, Iowa has 2 since then.

People that think Arkansas is some Superior program recently, or over the last 35 years makes me LOLOLOL. That all said, Bret ain't coming here, and it has to do with $$$$, not Arkansas being some powerhouse.

If Bert were willing, the money would not be an issue.

True. And if BB was our coach and he said that, then he would also.

Not true at all. Kirk wasn't blasted for saying the same thing in a different way when we were winning tons of games, beating SEC teams in bowl games. It isn't like KF was saying this team was "sexy" in 2004. Heck we all loved that we were "blue collar" "hard working" "hard work beat talent when talent doesn't work hard" "break the rock" and on and on.

So you think the SEC isn't a bigger stage and more prestigious than the BIG........"bigger stage" is broader than just an individual school. So we can debate Iowa vs Arkansas or you can offer an answer to the question which is the point of the posting.

At least he enjoys promoting his program.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bielema-turning-fun-marketing-tool-arkansas-203902170--ncaaf.html

In perhaps his best use of that marketing degree yet, Bielema even used a mid-season play call to promote Arkansas' offensive line to recruits across the country.
View gallery

Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema addresses the team's annual NCAA college football media day eve …

Already ahead 21-0 over Alabama-Birmingham in the second quarter, the Razorbacks briefly lined up for a short field goal attempt before shifting into a swinging gate formation. What followed was a 6-yard touchdown pass by 6-foot-5, then 350-pound Sebastian Tretola, a highlight Bielema quickly capitalized during a halftime interview.
''I don't pre-plan a lot of the things I say in the media, as you can probably tell, but when I did say 'Come to Arkansas as a lineman, we'll make you famous,' I knew that one would go off the charts,'' Bielema said.

Any examples?

His situation is neither a bigger stage nor successful at this point.

He left a bigger stage at Wisconsin to go to Arkansas.

THANK YOU!

Some people seem to have a ridiculous over the top view of anything SEC.

So you think the SEC isn't a bigger stage and more prestigious than the BIG........"bigger stage" is broader than just an individual school. So we can debate Iowa vs Arkansas or you can offer an answer to the question which is the point of the posting.

If you were just talking about the conference then that makes no sense.

Is Arkansas a bigger stage than OSU? Are they a bigger stage than Florida State? Are ISU and Texas on the same stage?

Who cares if the conference is a bigger stage. Its irrelevant, you don't coach a conference. You have to be able to win for it to matter.

Arkansas is to the SEC what Purdue is to the big ten. Consistent middle of the road team.

johny Majors won a national title at Pitt, then left for his alma mater to rebuild Tennessee.

Howard Schellenberger won a national title at Miami, then left and eventually took a job at Louisville which was only at the G5 level at the time.

Lou Holtz won a national title at notre dame, then left and eventually took a job to rebuild South Carolina.

I could go on.

Latest posts