Barta should be shown the door

Tfunkhawkeye

Its not original but I do think that is the next step. I get that really only football( and mens BB) matters, so on those two fronts-
It was his contract offering to Kirk.
He took forever to replace Stevie wonder, only to get Lick and let that linger forever ... hopefully on right track with Fran.

Rest of programs(that have friends and family viewing audiences) - last place big 10.

Baseball is on the right track. Golf improving. Gymnastics....some of those gals are hot. So that's good.

I want him gone as well. But there are fragments of progress in some areas.

Baseball is on the right track. Golf improving. Gymnastics....some of those gals are hot. So that's good.

I want him gone as well. But there are fragments of progress in some areas.

Fragments of progress. Now there's a rousing affirmation.

The program that matters most...in terms of visibility and finances...is slipping rapidly.

If he keeps mishandling the women's teams it may happen. The whole thing with the field hockey team, even being a minor sport, is a black eye to the school.

Fragments of progress. Now there's a rousing affirmation.

The program that matters most...in terms of visibility and finances...is slipping rapidly.

Like I said, I want him gone as well. Just pointing out that not every sport is in decline.I think Barta is a good enough guy, he is just a little out of his depth at this level. Or...perhaps he would be able to do more with an administration that cared about sports. Wisconsin had that problem for years. Then they finally got a president that understood the value that sports have for a university and the rest is history.

As is....even if Barta was fired tomorrow, would you trust that our current president would hire someone decent? Sad as it may sound, we could do worse than Gary.

Like I said, I want him gone as well. Just pointing out that not every sport is in decline.I think Barta is a good enough guy, he is just a little out of his depth at this level. Or...perhaps he would be able to do more with an administration that cared about sports. Wisconsin had that problem for years. Then they finally got a president that understood the value that sports have for a university and the rest is history.

As is....even if Barta was fired tomorrow, would you trust that our current president would hire someone decent? Sad as it may sound, we could do worse than Gary.

Good point. Same as with KF hiring Greg Davis, etc. I think the University pres would just plug in the next puppet who fits the mold of what they want.

I agree that honestly Barta probably needs to go too. As Jon posted some data showing that Iowa is LAST in conference championships (total for all sports) over the past decade (I think). And not just last, but the second to last team has DOUBLE the number of conference championships we do.

Last edited:
Its not original but I do think that is the next step. I get that really only football( and mens BB) matters, so on those two fronts-
He took forever to replace Stevie wonder, only to get Lick and let that linger forever ... hopefully on right track with Fran.

Rest of programs(that have friends and family viewing audiences) - last place big 10.

I really wish that Barta had the stones to tell KF 'next year is your make or break year Kirk,changes must be made starting with firing Greg Davis and you finding an OC that can put together an effective offense. If you do not win a minimum of 9 games next season with that weak sauce schedule,you will be fired. Got it! Now get back to recruiting and back to work.'

volleyball & baseball are on the upswing. Also gymnastics, I think. Baseball I think has the number 1 recruiting class in the BIG coming in which is good. But, he's really non-relevant as far as the major programs go. Bowlsby had his name out there & was nationally known to an extent. He seemed more active.

Sad as it may sound, we could do worse than Gary.

Not bagging on you here burk, but this argument is one of the worst arguments as it relates to getting rid of anything to replace it with something new.

The best way to predict future performance is to look at past performance. Gary's is poor when it comes to on the field performance of his coaches and teams. All you need is someone who isn't poor. By definition, 75% of the market will fit that description.

Hiring to replace Kirk is a little more difficult. He ranks 42 out of what, 116 teams, in performance. That puts him in the 63rd percentile, meaning two out of three prospects drawn from the pool at random will be worse than he is. But certainly, you don't want a poor AD trying to make a good/great decision when the odds are against him.

Not bagging on you here burk, but this argument is one of the worst arguments as it relates to getting rid of anything to replace it with something new.

Perhaps. Although I'm not really arguing anything. Just trying to illustrate how much of a gamble it could be. Especially with Mason leading the way. Now if a committee was formed to assist with the hire(as it should be), with credible members, then I think that would ease most people's minds.

Not that it matters. Barta isn't going anywhere. And most of you already know this. But it is nice to dream.

Perhaps. Although I'm not really arguing anything. Just trying to illustrate how much of a gamble it could be. Especially with Mason leading the way. Now if a committee was formed to assist with the hire(as it should be), with credible members, then I think that would ease most people's minds.

Not that it matters. Barta isn't going anywhere. And most of you already know this. But it is nice to dream.

How could we possibly do worse than dead last in the BIG conference? I could do better than that. You could do better than that.

Thats a bad idea..used a comittee during the Stoops fiasco . Its the ADs job to hire coaches. he alone needs to do it.

Latest posts