Audibles, Are they all to the same play?

Gibsonian

I may be wrong on this but my only memory of audibles this year are to a run play up the gut, maybe off tackle on occasion.

Am I right on this or am I just not following along closely enough?

Every run audible I have noticed is just switching the direction of the run from left to right or right to left.

I joked at one point that we should fake audible and keep the run play the same and it would throw the Defense off.

I may be wrong on this but my only memory of audibles this year are to a run play up the gut, maybe off tackle on occasion.

Am I right on this or am I just not following along closely enough?
Every run audible I have noticed is just switching the direction of the run from left to right or right to left.
If people on an internet forum can figure that out, even if they’re only 75% right, imagine what P5 defensive coordinators making six figures and whose jobs include watching film seven days a week can figure out from Brian’s offense.

If people on an internet forum can figure that out, even if they’re only 75% right, imagine what P5 defensive coordinators making six figures and whose jobs include watching film seven days a week can figure out from Brian’s offense.

I made this point last week when I broke out my See Action Football game. It's about odds. In the game there are 8 offensive plays and 8 defensive sets. Eliminate 5 of the O plays and it's about odds. The odds worked against PSU on Wadleys' TD run.

Teams continually at least show a blitz so that Stanley will check out of it into a run to the opposite side of the blitz. So, teams literally funnel Iowa into a certain set of plays and to a certain side of the play that they will defend. I agree with above in that on occasion act like you are audibling and just run the called play. The only other way to get around is to trust Stanley to make a throw downfield on 1 on 1 coverage or to hit a fast slant.

Right now, the Iowa coaches continue to let the other team dictate the play calling to their advantage.

Iowa's audibles = run to the other side of the field. Gee, I wonder how defenses cracked the code if we can figure it out with no coaching experience.

Iowa's audibles = run to the other side of the field. Gee, I wonder how defenses cracked the code if we can figure it out with no coaching experience.

When teams see Stanley audible, I'm sure the coaches and players in their heads are thinking = CHA FREAKING CHING!!. Idiots!

That's probably what Penn State thought. Stanley audibled, the safety walked up, and he got Easley in one-on-one coverage for a touchdown. Most of the time, the audible is based on numbers. Yes, switch the side you're going to run to if the numbers tell you to, but all of the audibles are not to a run play.

This topic of tendencies was brought up in the commentary on the NW game and how Iowa does what they do and studying their film is very easy. The specific point they made was during the fake field punt against Illinois, Patty F was screaming at the screen because he knew something was coming because it was against their tendency.

One curious thing I noticed last week and need to watch more non Iowa games and really pay attention to it but does Iowa audible more than other teams? I know it has been brought up in other forums in the past but many teams will actually use that against Iowa to force us to audible so they know what play is coming. Lots of ways around this, odd that the coaches haven't noticed --end sarcasm

I can't remember if it was GameFilm who wrote/noticed this, but under the GDGD scheme of the WR having to read the defenses, opposing CBs would line up on the inside shoulder of the Iowa WR, forcing the WR and QB to read "Out Route". It may be why we saw so many 3 yard out routes under him. Teams were forcing our reads into them.

I worked with both a former player and equipment manager back in 07-09. They both said that they heard the only audibles that ferentz likes is either audible run left or audible run right. Any pass plays are usually done by the QB.

I can't remember if it was GameFilm who wrote/noticed this, but under the GDGD scheme of the WR having to read the defenses, opposing CBs would line up on the inside shoulder of the Iowa WR, forcing the WR and QB to read "Out Route". It may be why we saw so many 3 yard out routes under him. Teams were forcing our reads into them.
If a QB is going to audible a 3 yd out route, he needs to be smart enough to not audible a 3 yd out route on 3rd and 7, which we saw all the time last year. CJ Beathard isn’t that stupid. Those out routes were all GD.

Also, if you’ll remember last year, receivers were finally asked about the short plays and their response (with plenty of frustration on their faces) was that “we run the plays the way they’re called.”

I think everyone here is blowing the audible thing out of proportion. The vast majority of the time Stanley is running the play that’s called, and what looks like an audible on TV is not always the case. Quarterbacks do plenty of yelling in formation and there is more to the motion part of the game than just tight ends repositioning.

1. QB counts the number of defenders to L and R of center
2. If one side is overloaded...change play into a stretch run to the opposite (weak) side
3. Ignore that that weak side is the short side of the field, and that's WHY...there are fewer defenders.
4. Run play for no gain.

END

If there is one play that defines KFz's offensive incompetence... this is it.

Last edited:

Latest posts