Athlon predicts (+4 all americans)

Did they pick Iowa 4th in the West?

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/top-25-college-football-rankings-2019

24. Iowa State

iowa-state-cyclones.png
Iowa State is on the rise under coach Matt Campbell. The Cyclones are coming off back-to-back winning records in Big 12 play for the first time in program history, and this is the first time Iowa State has been projected by Athlon Sports to finish in the top 25. Running back David Montgomery and receiver Hakeem Butler left big shoes to fill in Ames after leaving early for the NFL Draft. However, the news wasn't all bad for the offense this offseason. Tom Manning returned to Ames from the NFL to call the plays, and quarterback Brock Purdy is one of the Big 12's rising stars. As a freshman in 2018, Purdy went 6-2 as the starter and threw for 2,250 yards and 16 touchdowns. The offensive line has room to improve but brings back all five starters from last season. Replacing Montgomery might be more of a committee approach, while Deshaunte Jones, Tarique Milton and transfer La'Michael Pettway lead the way at receiver. Iowa State led the Big 12 in run defense and held opposing offenses to just 22.9 points a game (also best in the conference). This unit boasts a strong front seven, anchored by end JaQuan Bailey and nose guard Ray Lima up front, with Marcel Spears and Mike Rose providing support at linebacker. The biggest concern for coordinator Jon Heacock rests at cornerback in finding a replacement for standout Brian Peavy and D'Andre Payne.

18. Iowa

iowa-hawkeyes.png
The 2019 season sets up an interesting dynamic in the Big Ten West. On paper, the Hawkeyes should be the best and most complete team in the division. However, the schedule isn't kind to coach Kirk Ferentz's program. Iowa plays at Iowa State in non-conference play and has road trips to Michigan, Northwestern, Wisconsin and Nebraska in league play. And if that wasn't enough, Penn State visits Kinnick Stadium a week after the road date at Michigan in 2019. Senior quarterback Nate Stanley (2,852 yards and 26 TDs in 2018) leads the way on offense, with three running backs vying for the starting job and the opportunity to jumpstart a ground game that ranked 10th in the Big Ten last year. Tight ends T.J. Hockenson and Noah Fant must be replaced, but there's potential at receiver with Brandon Smith, Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Tyrone Tracy and Nico Ragaini in place on the outside. The offensive line could be the best unit in the Big Ten. The interior is a little unsettled going into the fall, but tackles Alaric Jackson and Tristan Wirfs will contend for All-America honors. The strength in the trenches extends to the defense. End A.J. Epenesa recorded 10.5 sacks in a limited role last fall and should rank among the top players in the nation with a full workload in 2019. Chauncey Golston is a capable end on the other side, but the Hawkeyes have to identify some depth across the line to keep the starters fresh late in the game. Three starters are back to headline a standout secondary but filling the void left behind by hybrid defensive back/linebacker Amani Hooker won’t be easy.

17. Nebraska

nebraska-cornhuskers.png
Scott Frost has Nebraska trending up entering the 2019 season. The Cornhuskers finished 2018 by winning four out of their last six games. The two losses – Ohio State and Iowa – came by a combined eight points. Quarterback Adrian Martinez averaged 295.1 total yards a game as a freshman last year and will only get better with another offseason to work with Frost. Martinez's development is a big reason why the Cornhuskers are the pick to win the Big Ten West Division. The offensive line returns two starters, and JD Spielman (66 catches in 2018) will move into the No. 1 role after the departure of Stanley Morgan Jr. The status of running back Maurice Washington is uncertain due to legal issues, but junior college recruit Dedrick Mills should help in the backfield right away. True freshman and all-purpose threat Wan'Dale Robinson is a name to remember and a potential breakout candidate this fall. There's room for improvement on a Nebraska defense that allowed 5.8 yards per play and 31.3 points a game last fall. The good news for Frost: A good foundation is in place up front, and the line was bolstered by the addition of Oklahoma State transfer Darrion Daniels at tackle. Mohamed Barry (linebacker) and Dicaprio Bootle (cornerback) are two of the best in the Big Ten at their position. In addition to the projected improvement by Martinez and the offense, along with some gains on defense, Nebraska's schedule sets up favorably for a run at the West Division title. The Cornhuskers play Ohio State in crossover play but catch Indiana and Maryland in their other two games against the East. Additionally, Nebraska hosts Iowa, Wisconsin and Northwestern in Lincoln this fall.

Last edited:
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-football-2019-all-conference-team

1st team:
Alaric Jackson
AJE
ISM

2nd team:
Geno Stone
Wirfs

3rd Team:
Golston
Hankins

4th team:
Sargent
Stanley

I think if Stanley is only 4th team then we are not West Conf winners. I am hoping Nate and the receivers click, good Oline play and improved running game lead to about 32 pt a game offensive avg and a West title.

Right now I will take a West Title vs a win in Ames any day. The Big 10 is the thing, nothing else.

I mean we have a Big 10 Title in 2002 even with a second half meltdown against ISU. An ISU team that melted down themselves in the last half of that season, College Football is a long season.

Without reading the link, I kept thinking to myself, boy, most of those Iowa players make sense as pre-season all Big Ten....

But choosing ISM at 1st team WR? That makes no sense.

Then it hit me, oh yeah, he returns kicks too. Must have made the team as a kick returner.

Kind of alarming our senior 3yr starting QB is only projected to be 4th team in conference. Are these conference awards or All-American? I am presuming just conference.

Amazing how Scott Frost is ranked #17 already.

The Cyclones are coming off back-to-back winning records in Big 12 play for the first time in program history.

That line should be required reading for every ISU fan. They must read it 10 times then be able to explain what it means to someone who knows nothing about Cyclone Football.

What the CyFan thinks it means:
We are on the verge of becoming the greatest program in B12 history. Nothing can stop us...and we are going to own Iowa from here on out. Matt Campbell is a Football God who will go down in history as the greatest coach who ever lived.

What it actually means today:
Iowa State Football has been a dogshit program for as long as they have been in existence. One of the worst overall programs in college football history. Your Football God of a coach is 0-3 against Iowa...your superbowl rival. Your fan base is so freaking delusional that you see rainbows and lollipops whenever a Clone makes a play and you immediately extrapolate that to mean something beyond what it actually does. It's a systemic, inflated belief that you are something you are not.

I'm going to guess 3 of Iowa's defensive back seven will get into the top 4.

That's from a total of 28 slots.

Iowa's back 7 did remarkably well last year. That is with new starters at linebacker positions, both starting corners from the year before being dinged up, Jones being a bust at mlb, and musical chairs back there all season.

Strictly going by Athlon, here are the ranked teams we will be playing in 2019:

Iowa state - away
wisconsin - away
nebraska - away
penn state - home
michigan - away

i still think we win the WEST this year

Kind of alarming our senior 3yr starting QB is only projected to be 4th team in conference. Are these conference awards or All-American? I am presuming just conference.

Amazing how Scott Frost is ranked #17 already.

I think if Stanley is only 4th team then we are not West Conf winners. I am hoping Nate and the receivers click, good Oline play and improved running game lead to about 32 pt a game offensive avg and a West title.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-quarterback-rankings-2019

14. Isaiah Williams, Illinois
13. Artur Sitkowski, Rutgers
12. Jack Coan, Wisconsin
11. Zack Annexstad, Minnesota
10. Sean Clifford, Penn State
9. Hunter Johnson, Northwestern
8. Peyton Ramsey, Indiana
7. Josh Jackson, Maryland
6. Elijah Sindelar, Purdue
5. Brian Lewerke, Michigan State
4. Nate Stanley, Iowa

iowa-hawkeyes.png
Stanley enters his third year as the starter with a chance to etch his name into Iowa’s record book. The Wisconsin native set a new school record with 52 touchdown passes over a two-year span and needs 23 more to pass Chuck Long for the most in a career. Stanley has passed for 5,351 yards over the last three seasons and improved his completion percentage to 59.3 (up from 55.8) last fall. The senior should help Iowa push for the Big Ten West Division title in 2019.

3. Adrian Martinez, Nebraska

nebraska-cornhuskers.png
The continued development of Martinez is a big reason why coach Scott Frost’s team should take a big step forward in 2019. Martinez did not play as a high school senior due to injury but showed no rust in his freshman season. The California native connected on 64.6 percent of his passes for 2,617 yards and 17 touchdowns to just eight picks. Martinez finished second on the team with 629 rushing yards and chipped in eight scores on the ground. With a full offseason to develop under Frost, look for Martinez to contend for All-Big Ten honors this fall.

2. Justin Fields, Ohio State

1. Shea Patterson, Michigan

In the WEST, only Nebraska has a higher rated QB, and with our defense this could mean Stanley wins his first division title. I think he has a good shot at it. If he is injured I really like our backups.

The West is going to come down to the battle of the QBs. Stanley, Martinez and the unknowns.

Iowa's schedule isn't doing them any favors with 5 of their 6 ranked opponents on the road. Nebraska has it a bit easier, but you can never count out Wisconsin.

Purdue, Northwestern and Wisconsin will have new quarterbacks. It's a guess as to how they will perform.

Nebraska hopes lie with Martinez. He is the key to their offense. If he can't run they are limited. Iowa is in nearly the same situation. Though Stanley is a not a running quarterback. Iowa has better depth overall, but there is a big drop off at quarterback for both of these teams.

Nebraska has had better athletes and better talent at skill positions than Iowa at times in the last 8 years since the rivalry was renewed. But the one thing Nebraska has lacked every single one of those years is physical play and a strong defense. When Nebraska was Nebraska it was their line play on both sides that made them special. Blackshirts were fearsome and you could have put a high school senior behind their OL and he would have gotten 1,000 yards. Until Nebraska can match Iowa in the physicality and attitude department Iowa should be favored to win almost every time these teams play, regardless of who the QB's are.

1st team:
Alaric Jackson
AJE
ISM

2nd team:
Geno Stone
Wirfs

3rd Team:
Golston
Hankins

4th team:
Sargent
Stanley

----------------

Obvious choices are AJE, Jackson, and Wirfs.

Stanley may or may not be on the list. It just depends on how well he works under presure.

Then there are the guys look like they are breaking out, Stone and Golston late last year and Hankins the year before.

A lot of things have to go right for ISM to move up this high on the list.

Sargent was doing quite well for someone who jumped into things in fall camp. How good is he as a receiver? How well will he run when he gets when he really gets the system down.

Brents and Niemann could just as easily be on the list but didn't get worked as much as others in spring camp. Wade, Welch or Colber at linebacker could make their way into the list.

I think there is quite a bit of talent moving up through the ranks this year. The question is how quickly they establish themselves. The last time I remember this much young talent was 2008. Maybe that is just my perception.

As per Stanley being 4th team. A lot of people, prognosticators are waiting to see how he does without Hockenson and Fant. With two good blocking tight ends Iowa could have a better line than they have had for many years. And with that Stanley could have the running game he needs to take the next step.

1st team:
Alaric Jackson
AJE
ISM

2nd team:
Geno Stone
Wirfs

3rd Team:
Golston
Hankins

4th team:
Sargent
Stanley

----------------

Obvious choices are AJE, Jackson, and Wirfs.

Stanley may or may not be on the list. It just depends on how well he works under presure.

Then there are the guys look like they are breaking out, Stone and Golston late last year and Hankins the year before.

A lot of things have to go right for ISM to move up this high on the list.

Sargent was doing quite well for someone who jumped into things in fall camp. How good is he as a receiver? How well will he run when he gets when he really gets the system down.

Brents and Niemann could just as easily be on the list but didn't get worked as much as others in spring camp. Wade, Welch or Colber at linebacker could make their way into the list.

I think there is quite a bit of talent moving up through the ranks this year. The question is how quickly they establish themselves. The last time I remember this much young talent was 2008. Maybe that is just my perception.
For clarification on ISM, he is almost certainly there as a kick returner rather than WR.

The West is going to come down to the battle of the QBs. Stanley, Martinez and the unknowns.

Iowa's schedule isn't doing them any favors with 5 of their 6 ranked opponents on the road. Nebraska has it a bit easier, but you can never count out Wisconsin.

Purdue, Northwestern and Wisconsin will have new quarterbacks. It's a guess as to how they will perform.

Nebraska hopes lie with Martinez. He is the key to their offense. If he can't run they are limited. Iowa is in nearly the same situation. Though Stanley is a not a running quarterback. Iowa has better depth overall, but there is a big drop off at quarterback for both of these teams.

I agree with everything except the drop off part. I'm thinking without Martinez, nebby is maybe a 6-7 win team, at most. Frost hit a goldmine with him, and I don't think its overstating things to say their year makes/breaks on him.

I truly think we have some talent, albeit inexperienced, behind Stanley.

Latest posts