Athletes for God - Tyler Cook writes

Sounds to me like he thinks he carries a lot of the load and to be frank he probably does. I don't think many see the amount of attention he gets from the other team. I listen to other radio broadcasts and they talk mostly about Tyler and then JB. They talk about what a work horse he is and how hard he is to stop. He's saying he gets tired.

Not sure what the eyebrow raises for you were, but for me, it was a) his assumption that he would have made an NBA roster and b) that he thinks his game is similar to LeBron's game. LeBron has the full arsenal of offensive weapons and all we have seen from Tyler is thunderous dunks. If the game is on the line and the Hawks feed it to Cook on the low post, any smart team will foul him and take their chances on Tyler's free throw shooting. I guess if you are going to dream, dream big!

After this season, he will be playing in Europe with the rest of Iowa's best players from the Fran era.

My eye brow raises were mostly his lack of mention of his team mates, essentially blaming losing on coming to Iowa and IMO he seems like a selfish kid who is more interested in name dropping and himself than anything else. The team had went to 3 straight NCAA’s before he arrived. That was my first thoughts when I read it. I’ll have to read it again, I like TC a lot but my first run was that.

btw he’s our best player and a beast, I just can’t imagine many players not crediting their teammates once in something like that. Specifically not one who’s a leader. I hope he’s a leader this season, Iowa needs one.

btw he’s our best player and a beast, I just can’t imagine many players not crediting their teammates once in something like that. Specifically not one who’s a leader. I hope he’s a leader this season, Iowa needs one.
Yeah it'd have been nice if when he mentioned wanting to come back that one of the reasons why was he enjoyed playing with some of the guys and name them... I dunno might be a tad nit picky of us to think that way but I'm kinda with ya. Since this was a well thought out thing that he took the time to put together and even proof read. It's one thing if your in a rapid fire Q&A with someone and you don't say the right thing. This is different then that.

You know, maybe stuff like this will speak to a religious NBA GM, like whatever happened with Tim Tebow and him playing in the NFL. No hate to Cook, he's got some abilities that will have some scouts following him. While I'd be thrilled to see him drafted - let's slow it down that it's a certainty.

“Everyone who is arrogant in heart is an abomination to the Lord; be assured, he will not go unpunished” Proverbs 16:5 -- Cook might want to read the Bible more carefully.

You know, maybe stuff like this will speak to a religious NBA GM, like whatever happened with Tim Tebow and him playing in the NFL. No hate to Cook, he's got some abilities that will have some scouts following him. While I'd be thrilled to see him drafted - let's slow it down that it's a certainty.

“Everyone who is arrogant in heart is an abomination to the Lord; be assured, he will not go unpunished” Proverbs 16:5 -- Cook might want to read the Bible more carefully.

Its not arrogant to Trust in the Lord, and to know that the Lord is a great God-Deuteronomy chapter 28 and Malachi. If you follow and wait on the Lord, He will do great things in your life. Its not who we are, but its who he is. The problem is every few people live by faith in the Word of God.

I just wanted to bump this from Friday because it's verifiable proof that I am not always positive about Iowa basketball.

I didn't read it as anything selfish or self centered. He's confident in his skill set and he wants to be the man this year at Iowa. He needs to be.

The part that I really questioned was the part about "all the NBA money he gave up returning to Iowa". Really? You weren't going to be drafted. At best you would've been a $35,000 G-league invite. I think Cook still has NBA potential, but lets not pretend he turned down a ferrari and mansion to grace us with his presence for another season.

Its not arrogant to Trust in the Lord, and to know that the Lord is a great God-Deuteronomy chapter 28 and Malachi. If you follow and wait on the Lord, He will do great things in your life. Its not who we are, but its who he is. The problem is every few people live by faith in the Word of God.

I'd be careful quoting Deuteronomy...there's a lot of messed up stuff in there.

I didn't read it as anything selfish or self centered. He's confident in his skill set and he wants to be the man this year at Iowa. He needs to be.

The part that I really questioned was the part about "all the NBA money he gave up returning to Iowa". Really? You weren't going to be drafted. At best you would've been a $35,000 G-league invite. I think Cook still has NBA potential, but lets not pretend he turned down a ferrari and mansion to grace us with his presence for another season.

Not to mention he had to learn to deal with losing once he came to Iowa, he had a ton of other offers where he could have went and won tho, the losing deal came with coming here.

Not to mention he had to learn to deal with losing once he came to Iowa, he had a ton of other offers where he could have went and won tho, the losing deal came with coming here.

well he came at a time when Iowa made 3 straight NCAA tournaments and seemingly on their way up with a ton of playing time opening up his freshman year. I don't think he woulda come to Iowa had he known they were gonna crater this badly.

But youre right in that he coulda gone to Kansas and won regularly but probably played a ton less minutes. He took a risk...makes me wonder if he regrets it or not.

well he came at a time when Iowa made 3 straight NCAA tournaments and seemingly on their way up with a ton of playing time opening up his freshman year. I don't think he woulda come to Iowa had he known they were gonna crater this badly.

But youre right in that he coulda gone to Kansas and won regularly but probably played a ton less minutes. He took a risk...makes me wonder if he regrets it or not.

That's what I am saying - he makes it think like Iowa is the reason he's losing - because, ya know - he's only played with winners and big names before this. Not to mention, not one peep of his team mates. Not 1. I obviously am gleaming a lot out of this, it's just lil things that I read and I think to myself....he's kind of focused on himself. It's not a rare attitude in sports, just doesn't seem like a leader type of write up IMO

That's what I am saying - he makes it think like Iowa is the reason he's losing - because, ya know - he's only played with winners and big names before this. Not to mention, not one peep of his team mates. Not 1. I obviously am gleaming a lot out of this, it's just lil things that I read and I think to myself....he's kind of focused on himself. It's not a rare attitude in sports, just doesn't seem like a leader type of write up IMO

He didnt mention specific teammates but he did say that "we" have unfinished business at Iowa and that he wants to be here when "we" change the way people view Iowa basketball. I think those are team-centric statements.

I can't fault the kid for most of his comments though. He idolizes Lebron and saw what a difference one player can make on a team....he wants to be that guy. I can understand and respect that.

At times last year he would put the ball on the ground and explode to the basket. I want to see a lot more of that. I thought at times he could be a Lebron-type of point guard where if needed he could just explode and muscle his way to the basket. He made mistakes and turned the ball over, but at times he showed flashes of it and I was impressed.

My god people...you can find the negative in anything if you really want to. This read to me like a guy that knows he has to be the man in crunch time, wants to be the man, and is doing everything in his power to prepare himself for a great season. He says he wants to be a great leader like Peter Jok...taking that role isn't selfish, it means he wants to make everyone around him better...and doing it by example.

We can debate whether he would have made an NBA team. If he's on target with the 18 to 19 foot jump shot this year...he's a second rounder in my opinion. He also needs to show he can be a hoover on the boards...both ends.

I got nothing but positives from that and i hope he delivers on everything he says he wants to for his team.

My god people...you can find the negative in anything if you really want to. This read to me like a guy that knows he has to be the man in crunch time, wants to be the man, and is doing everything in his power to prepare himself for a great season. He says he wants to be a great leader like Peter Jok...taking that role isn't selfish, it means he wants to make everyone around him better...and doing it by example.

We can debate whether he would have made an NBA team. If he's on target with the 18 to 19 foot jump shot this year...he's a second rounder in my opinion. He also needs to show he can be a hoover on the boards...both ends.

I got nothing but positives from that and i hope he delivers on everything he says he wants to for his team.

See, that's what I needed to hear. I am overly positive poster on Iowa Athletics and I love the hoops program. That was how I read it - I am used to hearing Iowa guys deflect and give praise to their team mates and coaches. It also read to me like he was trying to say him coming to Iowa is why he's experienced losing and hardship - cause he could have went somewhere awesome. I dunno - that's how I read it. I am likely crazy.

Not sure what the eyebrow raises for you were, but for me, it was a) his assumption that he would have made an NBA roster and b) that he thinks his game is similar to LeBron's game. LeBron has the full arsenal of offensive weapons and all we have seen from Tyler is thunderous dunks. If the game is on the line and the Hawks feed it to Cook on the low post, any smart team will foul him and take their chances on Tyler's free throw shooting. I guess if you are going to dream, dream big!

After this season, he will be playing in Europe with the rest of Iowa's best players from the Fran era.
He didn't say his game was like LeBron's he said he tries to model his work ethic.

Latest posts