Assuming no Q change...

cincyhawk

Let's operate as if CJB isn't available, and Canzeri is hurt and Bullock and Weisman are your only two backs.

How do you scheme to beat Pitt?

I don't think that you go strength vs. strength and get in a ball control battle with them - they have the better RB and he will keep the defense on the field a lot.

I think you can win with the hamstring roster by using the short passes if you throw lots of them. 40 passing attempts or more like against Ball State.

I think you are going to have to go uptempo more than in the two minute drill. I think you are going to have to go for points any time you cross the fifty - if there are 7 seconds left in the half and you are on their 35 you have to try to throw a long pass for a TD instead of kneeling on it and heading into the locker room.

I think you are going to have to have some designed QB runs to get some semblance of a running game going. If the DES have to worry about contain they can't crash down the line to stop the backs.

I think you have to check out of bad runs and the wr/QB have to check with the coaches on their reads before plays.

I think you need to jump out early for insurance TDs to keep the comeback from killing you in the 4th quarter when the D-line stats to get tired.

Assuming? Why is no QB change an assumption? It is a metaphysical certainty.
There will be no offensive game plan change. That is a metaphysical certainty.

All that is needed for an Iowa win is for the all the stars to line up properly or in foootball terms, for the stars to properly execute even against the black hole or in scientific terms, 9-in-the-box.

I think you have a good game plan, given the constraints you have placed on yourself, but let me pose one question. How do you overcome the potential bone-head decision and/or mistake that could turn that (c)lose game into a loss? In other words, how do you scheme to counter your HC's tendencies?

I think you need to gameplan to make it close in the fourth quarter, and hope your defense can make a play to win the game. If you limit your mistakes from the quarterback, play field position, don't fumble, and have the wind at your back when it matters most.

I think you are going to have to have some designed QB runs to get some semblance of a running game going.

You don't need designed QB runs....just call a pass of 15 yards or more....Jake will take a quick look and if the receiver isn't wide open, will tuck the ball and run with it.

If, for some reason, Beatherd wasn't available, Kirk would go CRAZY CONSERVATIVE. We basically wouldn't have a backup QB.

If you thought Kirk was conservative so far, take away his backup QB. We'd probably run it 60 times and throw 10 passes.

The absolute LAST thing we would run is designed QB runs.

Assuming no QB change...

If, for some reason, Beatherd wasn't available, Kirk would go CRAZY CONSERVATIVE. We basically wouldn't have a backup QB.

If you thought Kirk was conservative so far, take away his backup QB. We'd probably run it 60 times and throw 10 passes.

The absolute LAST thing we would run is designed QB runs.

I'm not saying that he is unavailable injury-wise. Just that he can't and won't be used and neither will Willes or Powell or Canzeri. I know it is a ridiculous argument to not use them, but that's what this coaching staff is going to do.

If Iowa refuses to use their most potent weapons, and refuses to change their overall scheme, then how do you work within the scheme using things that GD and KF have already shown this season -- JR can run the ball, the Hawks look more efficient when running plays uptempo, and the pass run mix needs to sway towards the pass. Against this Pitt team that will control the ball and game clock, you have to score two early TDs to offset what will happen when the D is worn down late in the game to win. Iowa can do all those things. I don't think they will, but they are capable of doing them.

I think you need to gameplan to make it close in the fourth quarter, and hope your defense can make a play to win the game. If you limit your mistakes from the quarterback, play field position, don't fumble, and have the wind at your back when it matters most.
It's like you live in KF's head!

Here is KF's game plan for Pitt (and every other game for that matter).....Score one more point than them. I wish I were kidding.....unfortunately, I'm not.

Re: Assuming no QB change...

I'm not saying that he is unavailable injury-wise. Just that he can't and won't be used and neither will Willes or Powell or Canzeri. I know it is a ridiculous argument to not use them, but that's what this coaching staff is going to do.

This is true.

If pitt plays zone you have to use some pass plays to hit guys in open areas, sit down routes etc

If pitt is mostly man to man we need to use some quick slants, fast long go routes and comeback patterns which are good against man coverage

Assuming no Q change (having a superior qb on the bench) and no handing the ball off to our best backs, I will likely not watch the 2nd half, as it will be too frustrating and painful. Maintaining that assumption, I'd imagine that our recruiting class winds up right around the 60th ranked class in the country because no one wants to see talent sit behind "experience."

Re: Assuming no QB change...

If Iowa refuses to use their most potent weapons, and refuses to change their overall scheme, then how do you work within the scheme using things that GD and KF have already shown this season

Fine, within this crazy construct, here is what I do:

Run a lot of 11, with Weisman as the lone RB. Run the zone read, BUT NEVER HAVE THE QB KEEP IT. This false misdirection will REALLY keep the defense on its toes, as they'll defend the QB keeper but HE'LL NEVER KEEP IT!! This will allow Weisman to consistently pound the defense for two yards on every single play, even if they know its coming.

Once we've pounded them with a lot of 2 yard runs, that opens up the pass. We've shown the ability to absolutely destroy the opposition with the three yard out. I'd run that all ******* day.

Then, I'd just count up the PROFITS.

You don't need designed QB runs....just call a pass of 15 yards or more....Jake will take a quick look and if the receiver isn't wide open, will tuck the ball and run with it.

Pretty much what I thought.

there were a few early designed runs against isu that worked but it seemed to encourage JR to run to early and often in the second half and it rarely resulted in keeping drives going .

its going to be hard to win with this QB no matter what.

Let's operate as if CJB isn't available, and Canzeri is hurt and Bullock and Weisman are your only two backs.

I don't think that you go strength vs. strength and get in a ball control battle with them - they have the better RB and he will keep the defense on the field a lot.

I think you can win with the hamstring roster by using the short passes if you throw lots of them. 40 passing attempts or more like against Ball State.

I think you are going to have to go uptempo more than in the two minute drill. I think you are going to have to go for points any time you cross the fifty - if there are 7 seconds left in the half and you are on their 35 you have to try to throw a long pass for a TD instead of kneeling on it and heading into the locker room.

I think you are going to have to have some designed QB runs to get some semblance of a running game going. If the DES have to worry about contain they can't crash down the line to stop the backs.

I think you have to check out of bad runs and the wr/QB have to check with the coaches on their reads before plays.

I think you need to jump out early for insurance TDs to keep the comeback from killing you in the 4th quarter when the D-line stats to get tired.

I think you need to understand that, for the most part, this is what Iowa has done so far this year

Yeah, I sure do wish Kirk and Greg would call the 'ol "insurance TD" play a lot more often.

Yeah, I sure do wish Kirk and Greg would call the 'ol "insurance TD" play a lot more often.

Well, they tend to have teams that sleepwalk during the first half. And they tend to sit on any lead. It is what they tried to do vs ISU last week.

Often Kirk will keep his cards close to his vest rather than try anything.

my sarcasm meter just pegged-out.

Much as I think this isn't on JR, I think a QB change needs to be made. If for nothing else, it pulls CJ off Mt Olympus. More importantly, though, it pretty much proves last year was the "outlier" for a GD offense.

Latest posts