Are we good emough

I

Ian Pike Hammer

to make the CFP? With a questionable offense, only 1 thing is certain, they can't keep us out if we go undefeated.

Doubtful IMO, but still can't do better than 4-0 so far and nice to be in the discussion, how ever amount of time that lasts. Iowa has lost a lot of these early games in September. I'm curious how many Iowa teams in school history have started out 4-0. I am gonna go out on a limb and say less than a handful of times. Just enjoy it, it doesn't happen often and it's likely not going to continue, either way just enjoy the ride while you can.

I think it is possible, but probably not probable.

Purdue, Illinois, and Minnesota at home should be locks, but you never know.

@Maryland
Penn St home
@Wisconsin
@Northwestern
@ Nebraska
BTT Title Game opponent if we make it there

I think the biggest chance for a trip up or two (three) is in these games.

Northwestern I don't think is very good, but we say that every year about them when they upset us. But, I do think this version of Northwestern is just not good. Really, we should win this one.

Wisconsin has major QB issues, but we have trouble playing in Madison. I do think Iowa is the better team.

Nebraska continues to find ways to lose games. They have a rough schedule and could be ready to call it a day by the time they play us. Again, Iowa is the better team, but we could be their super bowl game.

Penn St is probably the most balanced team in the conference right now on both sides of the ball. Iowa is going to have to play well in a cloud nine environment. Glad this game is at home.

Which brings us to the last two opponents of concern, Maryland and the BTT Game opponent. Maryland is probably getting Iowa at the right time. At home, they play better at home, athletic on offense which will be needed to compete with our defense. Playing against an Iowa offense that feels like the tortoise racing the hair for much of the game.
I think Maryland is an incomplete team and is not the next coming of Alabama, but this is a spot that is likely to challenge Iowa. I hope we find a way to come out on top.

The BTT Game is likely to feature either Ohio St, Penn St, Michigan, or Michigan St. Each of these teams will be formidable and will likely pack a punch.

I think Iowa should be the favorite in their remaining scheduled games (at this point) but the margin is inches, not feet in a number of these games.

Last edited:
Iowa typically has about 80 percent of what is needed for CFP (which is higher than most) The other 20 percent is oft not Power Conference or even D1 able.

The line can improve and will. Hawks are missing 1 receiver which won't change this year (thought Tracy might be able to do that) and a QB. How do you knock someone on a 10 game win streak? Hard to do, but his body control is embarrassing and not sure how that happens. He has an absolutely sweet release on the long ball...maybe best ever at Iowa. So there is hope, but teams are overplaying the Hawks and getting away with it. Can't see how the Fighting Fitzes won't destroy the Hawk offense. Only team I really worried about. PSU isn't great. Wisky isn't great. OSU isn't great. Iowa is closer than usual, but yet so far. 2 players.....away.

If there was ever a year, this is it. Iowa QB below.

1632781811350.png

Are we good emuff?

Haha, it only took 3 replies to make fun of that typo (we hope it was a typo), sure it was a typo. Good one Fry.

But to answer the OP's question I am saying no and the reasons are obvious as the offense is not on track, not running on all cylinders, whatever cliché you want to use. The offense needs to average at least 3.5 yards per carry and when there is a hole Goodson and IKM have done a very good job.

But I see the possibilities of the offense being able to connect on some home run balls and back off both safeties and with 4 receivers split out and one tight end in tight the hawks could have 6 on 6 blocking.

@Maryland
Penn St home
@Wisconsin
@Northwestern
@ Nebraska

Northwestern I don't think is very good, but we say that every year about them when they upset us. But, I do think this version of Northwestern is just not good. Really, we should win this one.

Wisconsin has major QB issues, but we have trouble playing in Madison. I do think Iowa is the better team.

Nebraska continues to find ways to lose games. They have a rough schedule and could be ready to call it a day by the time they play us. Again, Iowa is the better team, but we could be their super bowl game.

Penn St is probably the most balanced team in the conference right now on both sides of the ball. Iowa is going to have to play well in a cloud nine environment. Glad this game is at home.

Which brings us to the last two opponents of concern, Maryland and the BTT Game opponent. Maryland is probably getting Iowa at the right time. At home, they play better at home, athletic on offense which will be needed to compete with our defense. Playing against an Iowa offense that feels like the tortoise racing the hair for much of the game.
I think Maryland is an incomplete team and is not the next coming of Alabama, but this is a spot that is likely to challenge Iowa. I hope we find a way to come out on top.

The BTT Game is likely to feature either Ohio St, Penn St, Michigan, or Michigan St. Each of these teams will be formidable and will likely pack a punch.

I think Iowa should be the favorite in their remaining scheduled game (at this point) but the margin is inches, not feet in a number of these games.
This a well thought out post. Good stuff!

@Maryland
Penn St home
@Wisconsin
@Northwestern
@ Nebraska

I think Iowa should be the favorite in their remaining scheduled game (at this point) but the margin is inches, not feet in a number of these games.
To be honest, Nebraska scares me more than Maryland (and not saying Maryland is a sure-fire win). I know their record and the fact that they continue to piss games away. But their strength this year is defense. Our weakness is offense. I can see us struggling to score against them and for however bad Martinez is at QB, he always seems to be on against us. IMHO, we are going to have to improve offensively to win this game.

I was on another board talking about Iowa. With what I said (Top 5 defense and special team. young struggling O line, Qb that needs to get better and a meh running game.

The Georgia guy says I could be talking about te Bulldogs.

We belong in the discussion. And when we beat PsU we deserve to be #1

Iowa good enough to be 4-0. I just see too many toss up games to see an undefeated season. I'm enjoying the ride but expecting to get thrown once or twice. Any team with a mobile QB scares me. I expected this team to win 8 games this year and I'm not raising the bar now. We ran the table with the right schedule, right QB, and the right defense. Love to see us do that again but our current QB is not THAT QB.

Maryland is scary and their QB and receivers are being treated nationally as the new messiah. We can only hope they imbibe the adulation and fall apart. Need Schott to get more comfortable and in shape. Iowa “plays up” to qualified opponents, but plays in a fog with lesser teams. Iowa can’t be focused on Penn, or Friday will be b-a-a-a-d-d. Feeling a bit fraudulent highly ranked as past years, then quickly falling, i.e., hard to believe we didn’t fall in polls after Iowa State & Indiana washed out. Those tip-drill interceptions the first two games … well, certainly some skill, but possibly just our time, finally, for some extra good luck.

Nothing wrong with a good pair of ‘Emoughs’ in the winter.

To be honest, Nebraska scares me more than Maryland (and not saying Maryland is a sure-fire win). I know their record and the fact that they continue to piss games away. But their strength this year is defense. Our weakness is offense. I can see us struggling to score against them and for however bad Martinez is at QB, he always seems to be on against us. IMHO, we are going to have to improve offensively to win this game.
Agree.....I think they are a concern at this point in time. Between the 20s they are showing improvement. Just wonder how fired up they will be to play us when we reach that point and what exactly will we be playing for.

Agree.....I think they are a concern at this point in time. Between the 20s they are showing improvement. Just wonder how fired up they will be to play us when we reach that point and what exactly will we be playing for.

Oh yeah, you just don't know.

I hate Nebraska, but most of this board has them dead and buried as one of the worst teams in college football. I think they are a mid pack P5 team, probably. They've dug themselves a hole getting the conference slate started 0-2, but look at their schedule - we could easily be standing between them and a bowl.

Most of HN also has the Hawks down as owning Nebraska. Six game winning streak, hell yeah, that feels great...but under Frost's tenure, we've won by 3, 6, and 3. I fear for the mental health of this board if Nebraska were to punk us.

Don't get me wrong, I would want to vomit, but my life would go on. I think some people around here would need their belts and shoelaces confiscated.

On the other hand, Nebraska might be playing under an interim coach at that point with half the roster discreetly checking their cell phones at halftime to see how their transfers are coming along.

There isn't a single easy W left on the schedule as I see it.

Oh yeah, you just don't know.

I hate Nebraska, but most of this board has them dead and buried as one of the worst teams in college football. I think they are a mid pack P5 team, probably. They've dug themselves a hole getting the conference slate started 0-2, but look at their schedule - we could easily be standing between them and a bowl.

Most of HN also has the Hawks down as owning Nebraska. Six game winning streak, hell yeah, that feels great...but under Frost's tenure, we've won by 3, 6, and 3. I fear for the mental health of this board if Nebraska were to punk us.

Don't get me wrong, I would want to vomit, but my life would go on. I think some people around here would need their belts and shoelaces confiscated.

On the other hand, Nebraska might be playing under an interim coach at that point with half the roster discreetly checking their cell phones at halftime to see how their transfers are coming along.

There isn't a single easy W left on the schedule as I see it.
Very good points, especially how close Nebraska has played us the last 3 times. If the game was played now it would be a dog fight......could still be one at the end of the regular season.

I'm just glad that by that time our OL will have essentially a season working together. Nebraska's defense is coming along.