Anyone Else Getting To This Point At Games?

Fryowa

Administrator
I'm 42 and my hearing is completely shot. Worn ear plugs my entire life when shooting guns or doing machine work/welding, but I wish I could say the same thing about music. 35 years of a mix of hundreds of concerts, headphones, and music in cars...all WAY too loud. I have really severe tinnitus and can't generally hear shit anymore. Also have to use subtitles which sucks. I'm at peace with it and I know it's generally going to get worse until deafness. Is what it is. There's no way I'm dropping several grand on hearing aids and the tinnitus would make it pointless anyway.

Anyway, do any of you guys wear ear plugs at football games? I started this year mid-season and it helped. It's getting to the point where if I'm at a really loud game it's pretty bad physical pain. Last year Penn State was a magical deal but I could barely stand being in there once the game got close at the end...it hurt bad. Same thing on third downs. I love the noise and I yell myself, but I can't do it unprotected anymore. I know I'm a sally now and I don't care. Every animal has his day where he gets too old and exiled from the herd, I got no regerts.

I started wearing ear plugs this year around mid season like I mentioned before, and it was way less exhausting for me. I always thought it would be a pain in the ass trying to hear people talk but it wasn't an issue at all. If you think about it if you're at a game talking to buddies you kinda have to yell anyway. I found black ear plugs online that are the 32db Howard Leight soft fit ones, pretty much the best not fitted ones you can get. The black color doesn't make 'em stand out.

Anyone else same boat?

I don't wear ear plugs in bands and have been standing next to a banging cymbal for the last 25 years. I'm a goner either way.

I don't wear ear plugs in bands and have been standing next to a banging cymbal for the last 25 years. I'm a goner either way.
You ever thought about in ears? I dabbled playing with a couple buddies' band after high school in local bars, but I'd bet it was only maybe 15 times total.

The reason I started this year wasn't to stop hearing loss 'cause mine's toast anyway, I was getting pain.

My hearing is fine. Grew up on farm and around machinery a lot. Shoot some but use plays for .22.
IL Iowa games aren't that loud. Nothing like the Iowa Field house which sounded distorted. Haven't been to Kinnick for a game in years. I still play guitar and trumpet but most always just me.

The older I get the more irritated I get about loud noises. Some is ptsd related. A guy at church recently and just behind me whistled piercingly for God. I turned around and gave him a look. He looked me in the eye and did it again. In the noise after a song I mouthed AH and left. He followed me out and was irritated. Told him to leave me alone DA.

So u might say my ear nerves are shot

You ever thought about in ears? I dabbled playing with a couple buddies' band after high school in local bars, but I'd bet it was only maybe 15 times total.

The reason I started this year wasn't to stop hearing loss 'cause mine's toast anyway, I was getting pain.
I have and likely will get there eventually, it's a whole new world performing like that and takes some getting used to for sure. Over all it makes the performance better IMO

sorry don't go to the games. not to hijack but I often try to listen to eddie and dolph and turn down the TV - especially the cheap time slot announcers..tricky trying to sync it up. ps I have a ringing in my hear a lot that started a few years ago. sometimes its a lot sometimes i dont notice it.

My hearing is fine. Grew up on farm and around machinery a lot. Shoot some but use plays for .22.
IL Iowa games aren't that loud. Nothing like the Iowa Field house which sounded distorted. Haven't been to Kinnick for a game in years. I still play guitar and trumpet but most always just me.

The older I get the more irritated I get about loud noises. Some is ptsd related. A guy at church recently and just behind me whistled piercingly for God. I turned around and gave him a look. He looked me in the eye and did it again. In the noise after a song I mouthed AH and left. He followed me out and was irritated. Told him to leave me alone DA.

So u might say my ear nerves are shot
You were nicer about it then I woulda wanted to be. I probably woulda just left too but it would been really tough for me to bite my tongue. Just woulda depended on if I was with family or alone I suppose. If I have a pet peave its when people intentionally want to be dicks to others. That shit I can't let go.

You were nicer about it then I woulda wanted to be. I probably woulda just left too but it would been really tough for me to bite my tongue. Just woulda depended on if I was with family or alone I suppose. If I have a pet peave its when people intentionally want to be dicks to others. That shit I can't let go.
Wfe and 2 daughters present.

I’ve heard that before. Are they a solid option?
Yes they are. Got mine in December for $1600. Phillips brand. Very good experience with the Costco hearing center. Both my Mom and MIL spent over 8k a couple years ago at a regular hearing aid center. Just had a consultation with a Costco Audiologist doing regular follow up. Very pleased.

Yes they are. Got mine in December for $1600. Phillips brand. Very good experience with the Costco hearing center. Both my Mom and MIL spent over 8k a couple years ago at a regular hearing aid center. Just had a consultation with a Costco Audiologist doing regular follow up. Very pleased.
$1600 per side or for both? In-ear or outer?

Id be seriously interested at that kind of price because I’m only 42 and they’re going to be the only way I can probably hear at all in 15-20 years most likely.

Do you go to games from time to time?

I am fortunate to still hear pretty well, but I probably shouldn’t. Plenty of loud music, concerts, etc.

I remember riding around in my buddy’s Toyota Celica blasting AC/DC as loud as it could go in high school. I also recall sneaking into my house at 3 AM one morning after a Foreigner concert that had ended 3-4 hours before. I couldn’t tell if I was making noise or not because my ears were still ringing.

I broadened my musical taste substantially as I got older, but whatever I listened to, it was usually loud. Just last night I listened to my teenage son’s music for two hours or so… again, LOUD.

I mostly wanted to post on this thread because I found it odd but probably not coincidental that when I got to the bottom of the thread there was an ad for hearing aids. LOL. Marketing Big Brother is always watching!

Id be seriously interested at that kind of price because I’m only 42 and they’re going to be the only way I can probably hear at all in 15-20 years most likely.
You should look into hearing aids. The technology has advanced considerably. People won’t even notice you are wearing them.

$1600 for both, along with free fitting, follow-up visits and consultations with their Audiologists. I couldn't find a better deal. If I need a new ear plug or filter I get those for free, along with free tech support in store.

My hearing aids are the ones that come up on this page. Over the ear but still fairly well hidden.

Last edited:
I have my hearing checked by a medical professional. I receive a detailed report on what I may or may not need as treatment. It includes details about tones, etc. and their impacts on day to day hearing issues. I have been fortunate. Some tone related decline, but hardly noticeable. I would strongly recommend an appointment. You will likely be amazed at the detailed analysis they provide. And, typically covered by insurance. However, they will not discuss selective hearing loss as often utilized to avoid idiots.

I would strongly recommend an appointment. You will likely be amazed at the detailed analysis they provide.
Hearing loss is progressive and isn’t reversible without hearing aids. There’s nothing they could do for me at an appointment. We get our hearing checked every year at work as part of our wellness program.

Latest posts