Any of the new Defensive Ends play as true freshmen?

franstheman

With Nelson and Hesse the only for sure experience back at that position, do Mike Slater/Terrance Harris or any of the true freshmen play next year? We need a guy who can consistently pass rush. While I think Hesse will be very good in that area Nelson seems like more of an edge setter against the run. The young guys seem like big athletic guys who could be difference makers.

Harris left not long ago. I'm not hopeful for Hesse, despite his motor he is very outsized. Many teams have linebackers his size, or even bigger, and I don't know how much more weight his frame can even hold and still be able to move effectively. Weak area for next year I think. Going for slater.

I'd also like to see Slater come on, but I still think he ends up at DT. Would be nice to have Ott back next year and then Hesse/Nelson rotate on the other side/spell Ott. I think the true freshmen will need at least one year to develop in-game potential.

What about the other Nelson, Anthony, listed at 220 lbs in August but maybe he can be up to 250 by this coming August.

Harris left not long ago. I'm not hopeful for Hesse, despite his motor he is very outsized. Many teams have linebackers his size, or even bigger, and I don't know how much more weight his frame can even hold and still be able to move effectively. Weak area for next year I think. Going for slater.

To reach back, in 2005 there was a redshirt freshman who weighed in at 250... Mitch King. He was 280 when he graduated. Now if Hesse puts on 30 pounds between now and his senior year he will be at around 270. If he progresses like King, Hesse will be 15 pound heavier next season.

Iowa will also have Drew Ott back. He put on for a medical redshirt that he should be granted. Knowing his work ethic he will have himself game ready with nearly a year to prepare. The top 3 at DE will be very good. The incoming freshman are very talented also. They have the potential to push Slater for the 4th spot. Top among these should be Cedrick Lattimore, he is already above 250 and he made big waves his HS senior year.

To reach back, in 2005 there was a redshirt freshman who weighed in at 250... Mitch King. He was 280 when he graduated. Now if Hesse puts on 30 pounds between now and his senior year he will be at around 270. If he progresses like King, Hesse will be 15 pound heavier next season.

I know, I know. And while a Mitch King case happens, prob many more cases where it doesn't happen. Hopeful, not optimistic.

Latest posts