Any info on spring practice, a spring game sort of, fan attendance??

uihawk82

I haven't seen or heard anything. Is practice at the normal early April to about April 20th? Is there a spring game, a kid's day, can fans attend some practices or a spring game?

I haven't seen or heard anything. Is practice at the normal early April to about April 20th? Is there a spring game, a kid's day, can fans attend some practices or a spring game?

I believe it starts in 1 week, and it will run through early May. No spring game or similar event planned.

I saw PSU is going a spring game and only allowing first-year students to attend (along with family of players and staff). That seems like a pretty good idea.

My sense of Iowa in this regard is that it is lazy and not creative. Mainly because KF likes to focus on football, not the fans or other exterior things.

You could easily have a Spring Game and socially distance 15,000 folks, which is about all we usually get anyway. Or, you could let in teachers, first responders and other vaccinated folks. But, I am sure that KF and Barta decided it was more hassle than it is worth. KF has never been much for a Spring Game in good times. Sigh.

Sp

Iowa does not do spring games. That would be too much fun for the kids and the fans

Kirk doesn’t like the spring game, he’s on record as saying so numerous times. Even before covid the spring game was slowly turning into a joke, and I wouldn’t expect that to change in the future after Brain gets the job.

I can live without a spring game as long as we have an even better season next year than last.

Kirk doesn’t like the spring game, he’s on record as saying so numerous times. Even before covid the spring game was slowly turning into a joke, and I wouldn’t expect that to change in the future after Brain gets the job.

The thing is, it (the spring game) mostly benefits the fans, and I think KF knows that he's got fan-support no matter what he does (one of the perks of being at Iowa).

However, I do think it matters to players as well. Spring ball is such a grind...a spring game can provide a little light at the end of the tunnel. With the staff admittedly more open to player feedback, I could see this changing at some point. I don't think it will ever be a full-stadium blowout like it is at some SEC schools, but I could see it making a return in some form.

And I wouldn't expect KF to be this forward-thinking on a topic that doesn't directly impact winning football games, but is the Iowa fan support really a guarantee moving forward? A lot is changing in this world of sports consumption, and many of the diehards will be disappearing. Will today's elementary students be as passionate about packing Kinnick when they are adults? It would probably help if they got indoctrinated to the experience with a family-oriented Spring game. That should absolutely matter to someone like Barta, though not sure if he has the sway to make the decision.

The thing is, it (the spring game) mostly benefits the fans, and I think KF knows that he's got fan-support no matter what he does (one of the perks of being at Iowa).

However, I do think it matters to players as well. Spring ball is such a grind...a spring game can provide a little light at the end of the tunnel. With the staff admittedly more open to player feedback, I could see this changing at some point. I don't think it will ever be a full-stadium blowout like it is at some SEC schools, but I could see it making a return in some form.

And I wouldn't expect KF to be this forward-thinking on a topic that doesn't directly impact winning football games, but is the Iowa fan support really a guarantee moving forward? A lot is changing in this world of sports consumption, and many of the diehards will be disappearing. Will today's elementary students be as passionate about packing Kinnick when they are adults? It would probably help if they got indoctrinated to the experience with a family-oriented Spring game. That should absolutely matter to someone like Barta, though not sure if he has the sway to make the decision.
Are you saying kids wont become Hawkeye fans because there is no Spring Game.

I can live without a spring game as long as we have an even better season next year than last.
I don't know about you, but if someone would ask me if I would be good with Iowa winning on average 75% of their games, I am pretty sure I would say yes.

78% if we got to play Michigan.

Are you saying kids wont become Hawkeye fans because there is no Spring Game.

I am pretty sure he said it would help get kids to know the program if they have fun at a spring game, a kid's day in August, a game or two during the season.

I agree with the people who say it is a good reward for the players and fun where they can show off their skills.

We all know the difference between practicing our dribbling and shooting solo on the driveway vs playing even a good pickup game where it is really fun and the same goes for throwing the football with a buddy vs playing in a game, even pickup, with a bunch of decent players let alone a D1 P5 spring game

My sense of Iowa in this regard is that it is lazy and not creative. Mainly because KF likes to focus on football, not the fans or other exterior things.

You could easily have a Spring Game and socially distance 15,000 folks, which is about all we usually get anyway. Or, you could let in teachers, first responders and other vaccinated folks. But, I am sure that KF and Barta decided it was more hassle than it is worth. KF has never been much for a Spring Game in good times. Sigh.
2 open practices this year...

Latest posts