another question

hawkeye12345

Up 2 with 3 seconds to play. Minny has the inbounds and needs points to tie or win.

Your 5 on the floor are

Gesell - check
White - check
Olaseni - check
Clemmons - check
Oglesby - really?

So the guy that has length and stats that are off the charts tonight is sitting in the bench while a flat footed clod who is terrible at d tries to guard. Another wtf moment.

Playing Josh O should be a firable offense for the rest of the season unless up by 20....even then.

Up 2 with 3 seconds to play. Minny has the inbounds and needs points to tie or win.

Your 5 on the floor are

Gesell - check
White - check
Olaseni - check
Clemmons - check
Oglesby - really?

So the guy that has length and stats that are off the charts tonight is sitting in the bench while a flat footed clod who is terrible at d tries to guard. Another wtf moment.

Uthoff had 4 fouls. I'm sure Fran was thinking he didn't want someone on the court that couldn't commit a foul. Just imagine it is Uthoff at the rim, fouls the guy, he hits 2 FT, and that take Uthoff our ot the OT.

I'm not saying I'd have kept him off the court, but I'm sure that was Fran's logic.

Uthoff had 4 fouls. I'm sure Fran was thinking he didn't want someone on the court that couldn't commit a foul. Just imagine it is Uthoff at the rim, fouls the guy, he hits 2 FT, and that take Uthoff our ot the OT.

I'm not saying I'd have kept him off the court, but I'm sure that was Fran's logic.

I agree this is most likely the thought process, I might have gone with Uhl over Josh though.

Im also not sure if the last set on D was stupid, genius or just luck.

playing ole defense all the way to the basket with Gesell as the last line of defense was weird but atleast it didn't come down to a 3 which could beat you I guess.

i liked the last D set but not sure it was executed properly. i have to think that they were instructed to keep the guy receiving the inbounds pass in front of them. instead the guy catches the ball while heading down court.

i liked the last D set but not sure it was executed properly. i have to think that they were instructed to keep the guy receiving the inbounds pass in front of them. instead the guy catches the ball while heading down court.

^^this, all teams try to hit the guard curling upcourt at full speed in this situation.

The hawks problem was not having some type of trap against the sideline or at half court to make him change directions or pass the ball to use up time.

I am just glad some goofer didnt heave up a 40 footer that would swish in and beat the hawks.

Playing Josh O should be a firable offense for the rest of the season unless up by 20....even then.

This. I cringe when i see him in the game. His contribution is hitting threes and he hits one of every 17. He is a liability and should not be in there unless he is shooting much better.

This. I cringe when i see him in the game. His contribution is hitting threes and he hits one of every 17. He is a liability and should not be in there unless he is shooting much better.

At least he plays good D, and doesn't turn the ball over. The one thing that drive me crazy though, and he and White both did it, was pass up the 3 pt. shoot, take one dribble past the 3 pt. line, and fire up a 17 ft. jump shot. Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb. When are our guys going to understand that a 3 pt shoot = good, and a 17 ft. jump shoot = low % and worth only 2 pts. = bad.

At least he plays good D, and doesn't turn the ball over. The one thing that drive me crazy though, and he and White both did it, was pass up the 3 pt. shoot, take one dribble past the 3 pt. line, and fire up a 17 ft. jump shot. Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb. When are our guys going to understand that a 3 pt shoot = good, and a 17 ft. jump shoot = low % and worth only 2 pts. = bad.

Generally this is correct, but the example from last night Josh did the right thing. He shot faked, got his guy in the air and then dribbled and took a jump shot.

Generally this is correct, but the example from last night Josh did the right thing. He shot faked, got his guy in the air and then dribbled and took a jump shot.

Wrong. If you get your man in the air, you take it to the rim. You have a man advantage if someone comes over to help and you dish it for an easy score or finish inside of 10'. Good disciplined teams only take the 17' jumper when forced, like at the end of the game (cough***cough***Uthoff last night) or when the shot clock is about to expire.

Josh did it perfectly against Nebraska toward the end of the game (I think about 3 min. left) when Nebraska had cut the lead to like 3 or 5. He got to the lane, and then took the shot and buried it.

Wrong. If you get your man in the air, you take it to the rim. You have a man advantage if someone comes over to help and you dish it for an easy score or finish inside of 10'. Good disciplined teams only take the 17' jumper when forced, like at the end of the game (cough***cough***Uthoff last night) or when the shot clock is about to expire.

Josh did it perfectly against Nebraska toward the end of the game (I think about 3 min. left) when Nebraska had cut the lead to like 3 or 5. He got to the lane, and then took the shot and buried it.

If you have an open look from 15 feet and your name is Josh Oglesby, you take the shot. Josh isn't going to drive to the hoop. He dribbled and saw an open look, so he took the shot. If he makes it, you talk about how great of a look it was. He did something similar against Ohio State but the shot was from the elbow.

If you have an open look from 15 feet and your name is Josh Oglesby, you take the shot. Josh isn't going to drive to the hoop. He dribbled and saw an open look, so he took the shot. If he makes it, you talk about how great of a look it was. He did something similar against Ohio State but the shot was from the elbow.

Yes, the Ohio St. game. Two way different shots, the one last night was a 17' jumper, the Ohio St. shot was in the lane. Big difference, and if you look at shot % from location it is a HUGE difference.

How about White passing up a wide open 3 pt shot to take one dribble and shoot a 17' shot? Same thing, Fran needs to outlaw these shots, they are dumb and a waste of a possession. If that is all the better look you get in 35 seconds, then fine. I don't care who it is, they shouldn't shoot that shot, as you are potentially passing up a high % shot later in the clock. If your sets are getting you 17' shots off screens, then you are NOT spacing correctly as those should be set up at the 3 pt line. You need to really look at some analytics. There is no point at all to take a 17' shot for 2 points when you can step back 1/2 a stride and get 3 points for that shot.

Josh O should never drive to the basket. Never. One dribble max. He is in the game to shoot and stretch the floor. Every dribble from him I close my eyes and wait for the turnover.

Josh O should never drive to the basket. Never. One dribble max. He is in the game to shoot and stretch the floor. Every dribble from him I close my eyes and wait for the turnover.

His assist to TO ratio is about 3/1, so he rarely turns it over....which is one of the reasons he plays. I don't mind him taking a 17 foot jump shot in rhythm. I don't think Fran does, either.

Yes, the Ohio St. game. Two way different shots, the one last night was a 17' jumper, the Ohio St. shot was in the lane. Big difference, and if you look at shot % from location it is a HUGE difference.

How about White passing up a wide open 3 pt shot to take one dribble and shoot a 17' shot? Same thing, Fran needs to outlaw these shots, they are dumb and a waste of a possession. If that is all the better look you get in 35 seconds, then fine. I don't care who it is, they shouldn't shoot that shot, as you are potentially passing up a high % shot later in the clock. If your sets are getting you 17' shots off screens, then you are NOT spacing correctly as those should be set up at the 3 pt line. You need to really look at some analytics. There is no point at all to take a 17' shot for 2 points when you can step back 1/2 a stride and get 3 points for that shot.

Apples and oranges. White passed up a wide open 3. Josh didn't.

Latest posts