An Early Look at '22-23 Iowa Basketball

It seems as though Fran is content to roll into this season with two open schollies. It is disappointing that he could not land a difference making Big, but at this point I doubt there is anyone left that is a clear upgrade over the 3 centers we have on the roster. Fran can rotate them as match-ups dictate. If you combine Josh's size with Flip's tenacity and Riley's skillset, you would have a hell of a center!

Since it is doubtful that there is a player in the portal that can come in and play a lot of minutes, I guess it makes sense to bank the schollies and not upset chemistry. That said, we have no idea if Dix is 100% and you are a couple injuries away from an 8 man rotation. Luckily, this team is full of guys that can play multiple positions.

As usual, the pundits will pick Iowa to finish 9th-10th in the league and somehow McCaffery will get them into the upper half. Don't know how he will do it this year unless Kris just explodes like Keegan did last year. Perkins appeared to finally be turning it on at the end of last season and young McCaffery has almost doubled his stats every season since his health has improved. And no, I am not predicting him to become a 20 point scorer this year, but improve nevertheless. Can't count on freshmen to come in and light up the league, at least not at Iowa, so I am not expecting that much from Bowen or Dix. Really a shame McCaffery couldn't pluck a little talent out of the portal like practically every other B1G team did, but as usual Iowa was dragging it's feet while others were implementing NIL procedures and snatching up talent. Should be an interesting season.

As usual, the pundits will pick Iowa to finish 9th-10th in the league and somehow McCaffery will get them into the upper half. Don't know how he will do it this year unless Kris just explodes like Keegan did last year. Perkins appeared to finally be turning it on at the end of last season and young McCaffery has almost doubled his stats every season since his health has improved. And no, I am not predicting him to become a 20 point scorer this year, but improve nevertheless. Can't count on freshmen to come in and light up the league, at least not at Iowa, so I am not expecting that much from Bowen or Dix. Really a shame McCaffery couldn't pluck a little talent out of the portal like practically every other B1G team did, but as usual Iowa was dragging it's feet while others were implementing NIL procedures and snatching up talent. Should be an interesting season.
Fran has had quite a few freshman contributors over the last 12 years.

I don't think Kris will be Keegan, but he doesn't have to be. I predict we have 4 guys that average double figure scoring: Kris, Patrick, Perkins and Sandford.

Absent injuries, this is a tourney team to me.

Latest posts