Alvarez says Big Ten elimating FCS games

I'm not convinced yet. I think an Iowa team with an 11-1 record with a loss to OSU and a win over a (FCS) UNI gets a better look than a 10-2 Iowa team with losses to OSU and Arizona.

If either one of those scenarios become fact, I don't care what kind of look we get, I'm happy.....

I think UNI and a few other FCS teams saw this coming, and that is why they are taking a look at going FBS. They won't have a chance at a championship, but it is going to kill their budget if they can't play a few of the big boys every year.

As a couple others have pointed out, this is a bad idea unless other conferences are going to follow suit.

FCS schools can't afford to lose these games. If all BCS conferences stop scheduling these FCS opponents, then they lose big pay days. They athletic departments are going to be in bad shape.

I think UNI and a few other FCS teams saw this coming, and that is why they are taking a look at going FBS. They won't have a chance at a championship, but it is going to kill their budget if they can't play a few of the big boys every year.
This is a precursor to the B1G/SEC/Pac12/Big12 leaving the NCAA. There is no reason for the UNIs or the world to even begin to to think that they can compete on a level playing field as the power conference schools. This also goes for MAC, WAC, some CUSA & MWC schools, and most of the Sunbelt. From the elite's perspective, who invited this riff-raff to join our club?

No worries.

The FCS will hang around in order to show the FBS how to run a decent playoff.

Having a FCS game on the schedule isn't too bad. But having almost your entire non-conference schedule with FCS opponents is not a good idea. Unless this is pushed on the Universities by the governing bodies this won't happen. It's interesting to note two of the top teams(historically) in the B1G have the fewest FCS opponents. tOSH and Michigan.

Only one FCS win counts towards a bowl game so there is no advantage at all to schedule more than one FCS team in a year. In fact, I remember KState got screwed by that a few years ago. They had 6 wins but two of them were against FCS teams so they stayed home during bowl season.

If the B1G drops the FCS games, there is going to be a scramble to fill the slots. There are a lot of teams that don't like to play tough game early in the year. Teams like Syracuse, Troy State and others that are on the bottom end of Division one (competively speaking) could benefit from the scramble.

These games are big source of revenue for the FCS teams. They either have move up a division or make do with less. Troy State made the move a few years ago, they were a dominate team in FCS but not so much now. They made the move primarily to up their income per game.

FBS program don't exist in order to facilitate the financial health of FCS teams.

FBS programs exist in order to compete for a league and national championship.

The now flawed "zero tolerance" BCS remain-perfect-at-all-costs mentality will give way to SoS very very soon.

All for the better.

Latest posts