Alvarez says Big Ten elimating FCS games

I like this move, but at the same time is there a real big difference between the Sunbelt (FBS) and the MVC (FCS)?

I like this move, but at the same time is there a real big difference between the Sunbelt (FBS) and the MVC (FCS)?

Yeah. To be a smartass, the top of FCS is likely better than the bottom of FBS.

N Dakota St. beat Colorado State this year, lately typically beats or plays Minnesota to the buzzer.

I'd take the Bison over Tulane, Kansas, UTEP, Akron, UMass, Eastern Michigan, New Mexico St, etc...

Good chance that in reality, SOS could actually be worse with some FBS teams replacing FCS.

As far as the upper teams in the big ten are concerned having teams like Illinois, Iowa, Indiana,Maryland, Purdue and so on is the same as scheduling cupcakes.

This is fine by me. No more games against UNI? Boo Hoo. It's like the ISU game x10 for Iowa in the respect that it has nothing to gain by playing UNI, and everything to lose. Win the game, and it's just a game we were supposed to win. Lose, and it's an embarrassment. But I guess we can replace FCS games with playing bottom feeders from other FBS conferences instead.

As far as the upper teams in the big ten are concerned having teams like Illinois, Iowa, Indiana,Maryland, Purdue and so on is the same as scheduling cupcakes.

"I'm sure that's how the analysts and selection committee (eventually) will see it", he said sarcastically.

I think it's bitter sweet. I think it sucks for the FCS school's who like to play the big boys (in addition to collecting a fat pay check). I do however like the thought of more difficult schedules, although I don't think this means we see the FCS games replaced by Big Ten schools playing top 25 opponents.

This is fine by me. No more games against UNI? Boo Hoo. It's like the ISU game x10 for Iowa in the respect that it has nothing to gain by playing UNI, and everything to lose. Win the game, and it's just a game we were supposed to win. Lose, and it's an embarrassment. But I guess we can replace FCS games with playing bottom feeders from other FBS conferences instead.

Like Central Michigan!

Well I guess the Hawks won't be playing ISU anymore then.

Well yes, you won't playing Illinois State.

Gary Rima was already on Des Moines sports talk today delivering a ******* sob story. Maybe UNI will just take Iowa's yearly game against MooU since the BoneG is going to a 10 game conference schedule. They were made for each other anyway.

"What we cant play Central Mideastern Ozark Tech State anymore? Get Iowa the phone ASAP." Saids Ad from a school who doesnt have all the recruiting trouble Ioway has.

The Big Ten is dumb if they do this. The SEC will still schedule every cupcake they can get. This will only hurt the big ten if they take D-1AA teams off the schedule. Alvarez needs to look at the big picture before stating that.

Yes, it's dumb to schedule D-1AA teams, but every other conference will continue to do it. All the big ten will do is make its collective schedule tougher and will fall that much more behind the SEC in national status.

FreedComanche

Gary Rima was already on Des Moines sports talk today delivering a ******* sob story. Maybe UNI will just take Iowa's yearly game against MooU since the BoneG is going to a 10 game conference schedule. They were made for each other anyway.

Gary Rima sounds like he's from northern Wisconsin.

FreedComanche

The Big Ten is dumb if they do this. The SEC will still schedule every cupcake they can get. This will only hurt the big ten if they take D-1AA teams off the schedule. Alvarez needs to look at the big picture before stating that.

Yes, it's dumb to schedule D-1AA teams, but every other conference will continue to do it. All the big ten will do is make its collective schedule tougher and will fall that much more behind the SEC in national status.

FreedComanche

Do you really think there is a significant difference between UNI, North Dakota State or Sam Houston St and New Mexico State, South Alabama or Tulane?

As a couple others have pointed out, this is a bad idea unless other conferences are going to follow suit. If not, other conferences will still schedule a FCS opponent and Sunbelt or other lower-tier conference team. It also looks like by doing this they are paving the way for a 10 game conference schedule. If that happens, even the Iowa/ISU game is in jeopardy. The B1G thinks they're doing what's best for the conference, but in reality they're making it harder for one or two of the conference teams to make the playoffs when they start.

FreedComanche

Disagree... I think this will help the B1G when SOS and committees start picking who's in the playoffs. The SEC will finally get a check mark against them for scheduling weak OOC games.

Disagree... I think this will help the B1G when SOS and committees start picking who's in the playoffs. The SEC will finally get a check mark against them for scheduling weak OOC games.

Yes and no, the B1G playing harder teams will open them up for more potential losses while the SEC continuing to play a weak non conference schedule helps get them multiple teams in the playoffs.

Yes and no, the B1G playing harder teams will open them up for more potential losses while the SEC continuing to play a weak non conference schedule helps get them multiple teams in the playoffs.

Assuming a rating system like the RPI is introduced for football, than going undefeated just by playing a weak schedule won't be rewarded. In the RPI, which is extrememly flawed, SOS is 75% of the ranking, while your winning percentage is just 25%. The B10 is ahead of the curve on this one, I expect other conferences to follow suit.

Do you really think there is a significant difference between UNI, North Dakota State or Sam Houston St and New Mexico State, South Alabama or Tulane?

Short answer, no. However, the examples you gave are extreme. Most non BCS conference teams are better than most D-1AA teams.

I didn't consider the RPI that might take place when the playoff system is integrated. So, maybe that's what the big ten is thinking about when making this move.

FreedComanche

I'm not convinced yet. I think an Iowa team with an 11-1 record with a loss to OSU and a win over a (FCS) UNI gets a better look than a 10-2 Iowa team with losses to OSU and Arizona.

Latest posts