Alvarez says Big Ten elimating FCS games

hawkeyeguy85

Big Ten agrees: No more FCS opponents.

“The nonconference schedule in our league is ridiculous,” Alvarez said on WIBA-AM. “It’s not very appealing…

“So we’ve made an agreement that our future games will all be Division I schools. It will not be FCS schools.”

Hawkeyefootball.com lists UNI on Iowa's 2014 schedule and N Dakota St on the 2016 slate.

I'm okay with that...some of the other nuggets from earlier this week, not so much, mainly early season conference games.

Having something like Wisconsin/Nebraska or Penn State/Iowa as game 2 of the season just doesn't sit right with me. Plus, October or November cupcakes against Toldeo are just miserable.

Last edited:
And the "righting" of college football continues with the playoffs looming.

The future product is going to be so much better it'll put the BCS into the dark ages.

Having something like Wisconsin/Nebraska or Penn State/Iowa as game 2 of the season just doesn't sit right with me. Plus, October or November cupcakes against Toldeo are just miserable.

Fear not, Kurt always has the boys ready to play in September. This revamped Big Ten schedule will definitely favor us.

From the UNI's of college fb perspective, that's got to hurt. I never liked playing them,but it was a good payday for them. Are other conferences going to follow suit?

Wisky is one of the worst offenders of this in the B1G. Their OOC schedule is routinely terrible.

Also, I wish Barry would STFU.

So much for the influence of In-state politics which provided nice paydays to smaller instate schools - In Iowa, In Ohio, In Illinois, Indiana, etc.

I like it though.

Fear not, Kurt always has the boys ready to play in September. This revamped Big Ten schedule will definitely favor us.

Agreed, we're 7-5 in the first half of the conference season over the last 3 years and 3-9 over the second half. Better to get teams early before we start to fall apart.

I get it, but I think this is missing the mark when applied to the UNI game. That's a great Iowa event - who doesn't know someone who went to the teacher's college?

I'd like to see Iowa make an exception for an every-other year game against UNI. That's not the "not appealing" type of game they are justifiably trying to weed out.

From the UNI's of college fb perspective, that's got to hurt. I never liked playing them,but it was a good payday for them. Are other conferences going to follow suit?

If other conferences make the agreement of not playing fcs teams look for schools like UNI to make the jump to fbs

I rarely saw the Hawks come out in September looking very good. I can think of 1 time. That would be when AZ came to Iowa City in 2009. Apart from that I was always dreading the 1st game of Big Ten play.

This gets the bad injuries and season-killer losses out of the way early so the staff can focus more on recruiting in late November and December.

That's football.

I rarely saw the Hawks come out in September looking very good. I can think of 1 time. That would be when AZ came to Iowa City in 2009. Apart from that I was always dreading the 1st game of Big Ten play.

Kirk and the boys will just have to set their alarm clocks to wake up a little bit earlier.

On one hand, it's nice to play UNI for a few reasons. It keeps a lot of money in state, helps their athletic dept tremendously, gives good exposure for them, presents a nice "rivalry" game for the fans.
On the other hand... There isn't much benefit for Iowa.
I'm not heartbroken to lose this game.

Not that big of a deal, but who appointed Alvarez spokesman for the Big Ten? He announced ahead of everyone that the Big Ten would be expanding, now he announces this.

Latest posts