Almost 40 years

HawkeyeFever

For almost 40 years I have been a die hard Iowa Hawkeye (football) fan. My first game in Kinnick was Hayden's first game, a loss to a Corso led Indiana team...but I was hooked.

Huge accomplishments including the 1981 season, making an appearance in the Rose Bowl for the first time in over 40 years, only to lose miserably to Washington. Repeat the same dismay in 1985, losing to a very beatable OSU team and still winning the Big Ten...thanks a lot, Ronnie. Huge wins against OSU, Michigan, Florida, Tennessee, and Texas. Gut wrenching losses to Tulsa, Hawaii, Western Michigan, and Iowa State.

This is what it is to be a Hawkeye football fan. Year after year of high hopes and ultimate disappointment. Close but no cigar. BIG victories. Devastating losses. Superman performances against higher ranked opponents followed by lackluster, ho-hum efforts to lesser teams.

Perhaps I am too invested? Perhaps I shouldn't live and die by the performances of 20 year old kids? Perhaps...but I will still be back next week, hanging on every play when Illinois rolls into Kinnick.

Should I mow the grass? Rake leaves? Go fishing? Nah...I am a glutton for punishment, and I will always love the Hawkeyes.

The coin has to turn eventually, doesn't it? We have to eventually win all of the games we are supposed to AND squeeze out all of the victories when we are underdogs, right? Hey, a man can dream.

I don't think you live or die on 20 year old kids. You live and die on recruitment, coaching and play calling.

The kids will perform as recruiting, coaching and play calling allows.

Well, today turned out to be a good day to go to a wedding. I'll watch the DVR tomorrow
Seriously dont. You missed NOTHING of substance. You could spend the two hours punching yourself in the groin and it would be more productive.

Latest posts