Alex Karras has died

thejumper5

According to the AP, the Hawkeye legend, former Detroit Lion, and Hollywood actor has passed away at age 77.

Never met Mr. Karras but everything I have heard and read about him suggested he was a true gentleman, and a lot of fun to be around. RIP.

One of the underappreciated Hawkeyes. Think Evy will yell at him for getting up to heaven too slowly?

I feel old. Here's the headline on the Yahoo! News homepage:

[h=3]Former 'Webster' co-star dies[/h]
Honestly, of all the things Alex Karras is known for -- Hawkeye legend, All-Pro Detroit Lions defensive tackle, professional wrestler, actor, Mongo on the huge and endearing comedy "Blazing Saddles" -- "Webster" probably is at the bottom of my list. But I know there are others whose introduction to Karras came as a result of the ABC sitcom.

ALex pulled no punches on the field at the University of Iowa where he was a two time consensus All American or in the pros with Detroit where he was a three time All Pro. He also told it like it was on MNF with Howard Cossel and Frank Gifford......

He was one of the great ones and will be missed......

1957_alex_karras_display_image.jpg

Old enough to remember him... as a Lion! Great Hawkeye! Never forget his great comment on MNF... Otis Sistrunk - from the University of Mars! Claaasic.:D

Old enough to remember him... as a Lion! Great Hawkeye! Never forget his great comment on MNF... Otis Sistrunk - from the University of Mars! Claaasic.:D

Forgot about that, TL. I remember Otis Sistrunk wearing plastic shows with gold fish in the heels....

Latest posts