Adventures in Offense 2013: Iowa

I think you are confusing not wanting to win with making safe calls. I think he wants to win...but considerably more often than not he's going to make a safe call and hope the defense (since offensively he can tighten the reins a lot more than on defense) bails him out than make a truly aggressive call. Even when he doesn't necessarily have the defense capable of doing so...

That's not to say that sometimes the right/good call is the safe call. When you have the defense that we've had in several years in the past, we've played some of the most conservative football anywhere. But it worked for him because Norm and those defenses were there to ensure those conservative calls worked. Kirk hasn't won anything (in fact his record is awful...16-29 I believe) without Norm Parker...I'm intrigued to see if he loosens up a little bit given that we might not be terribly strong on defense again this year.

I think you are confusing not wanting to win with making safe calls. I think he wants to win...but considerably more often than not he's going to make a safe call and hope the defense (since offensively he can tighten the reins a lot more than on defense) bails him out than make a truly aggressive call. Even when he doesn't necessarily have the defense capable of doing so...

That's not to say that sometimes the right/good call is the safe call. When you have the defense that we've had in several years in the past, we've played some of the most conservative football anywhere. But it worked for him because Norm and those defenses were there to ensure those conservative calls worked. Kirk hasn't won anything (in fact his record is awful...16-29 I believe) without Norm Parker...I'm intrigued to see if he loosens up a little bit given that we might not be terribly strong on defense again this year.

Very well said. I agree with a lot of it. The key for Iowa's defense to play the way Kirk wants them to heavily relies on the front four getting pressure on the QB. In the years the Hawks have been able to do that it's allowed the defense to play very conservatively. The problem is the front four hasn't really been able to do that since Norm left. I'm sure Norm leaving is part of the reason the defense has struggled, however, I also think a lot of it can equally be blamed on lack of production from the defensive line. So I don't believe Norm leaving is the only reason we've struggled.

Fortunately, the depth is getting much better up front. I'm anxious to see what kind of havoc some of these younger guys can create now that they've got a little experience under their belt. Plus, I have a hunch Faith Ekakatie (sp?) has the tools to become something special. I think you'd be surprised how much the Hawkeye defense could improve in one year simply by getting more production up front.

So if he doesn't just come out into the press conference and lists off the coaching mistakes that he made, before being asked about them, this proves he is unwilling to take responsibility for them?

It is pretty simple to see. When he is talking about coaching he uses the word coaching. When he is talking about players, that is obvious as well. When he is talking about the team (coaches and players) he uses words "we, or us" I'm not sure why you think that if he uses the word "we" that he is only talking about the players???

I guess we just have to agree to disagree......oh, and that you are wrong on this one. ;)

That's ok. Better than you punching me in the nose. Whew................I feel safe now. Now if I can just stop think about DPP, or whatever his name is, knifing me in the back, all will be ok.

FreedComanche

That's ok. Better than you punching me in the nose. Whew................I feel safe now. Now if I can just stop think about DPP, or whatever his name is, knifing me in the back, all will be ok.

FreedComanche

Shoot... I wouldn't stab you in the back. I'd at least show some respect and let you see what's coming. That way I could see the fear in your eyes!

Shoot... I wouldn't stab you in the back. I'd at least show some respect and let you see what's coming. That way I could see the fear in your eyes!

Let me think about this one...............................

If I saw you trying to knife me, I'd immediately picture ferentz trying to stab me. You'd miss with your first stab and then I'd picture ferentz saying, "snort, chuckle, that's knife fighting". That would **** me off and I'd pull out my gun and shoot you. :cool:

Let me think about this one...............................

If I saw you trying to knife me, I'd immediately picture ferentz trying to stab me. You'd miss with your first stab and then I'd picture ferentz saying, "snort, chuckle, that's knife fighting". That would **** me off and I'd pull out my gun and shoot you. :cool:

Haha props for that one. Ferentz would probably wait to long to come up with a good strategy and end up gettin shot in the face. Maybe I'll get Marshal Yanda to come with me.

He doesn't really make successful calls?? Lol really OutOfTown? I thought we just got through one of your ignorant comments about KF not wanting to win, and now you go make another one. I'm gonna try to put myself into the mind of some of you negative posters for a second... Basically every time something goes well KF must have had nothing to do with the playcall, but when something bad happens it's all KF's fault. Is that about right?

For a Coach who never makes successful calls he sure has done well for himself. Man those idiots who gave him Coach of the Year awards and wanted him in the NFL must have no clue what they are talking about. Have you ever considered entering the consulting business? I'm sure there would be hundreds of football programs eager to pay for your advice.

You still dont want to think do you?

A couple of years ago when when 7 got six or the 08 penn state game. At the end of those games there were successful calls.

Can we agree? Or are you already bent out of shape?

But all the other times when Iowa has played for overtime... those are not what I would call successful. They are safe conservative calls in where you are waiting for the other team to lose. You are not trying to go win the game. You are waiting to see what the other team is going to do. And yes that has worked a couple of times. It worked last year at MSU.

Now that used to work when Kirk had Norm.

Whats Kirks record when Norm has not been at the game to coach/ retired?

Now go ahead with your standard post where you make fun of me because you really dont have any good thoughts other than to say Im crazy.

I agree with the statement about this being like year 1 all over again. Not letting Davis bring in any position coaches who knew how to coach his offense last year really made it hard to implement his system.
Yeah, cause it's so incredibly difficult to teach WRs how to run a 1 yard out pattern on 3rd-and-6.

Latest posts