Adventures in Offense 2013: Iowa

SheagleHawk

Adventures in Offense 2013: Iowa - Maize n Brew

Passing Offense: 7th in Big Ten, 102nd Nationally
Rushing Offense: 12th in Big Ten, 104th Nationally
Scoring Offense: 11th in Big Ten, 113th Nationally
Total Offense: 11th in Big Ten, 117th Nationally

3rd Down Conversions: 36.36% (64 out of 176 attempts)
4th Down Conversions: 35.0% (7 out of 20 attempts)
Red Zone Conversions: 78.95% (30 out of 38 attempts)
Total Points: 232 (26 TD, 17 FG, 25 extra point, 0 two-point)

I'm not going to keep beating this dead horse, but I'm amazed that Greg Davis was given another year.

Passing yards per attempt: 11th Big Ten, 110th nationally.

We had 5.78 ypa and just barely beat Illinios at 5.72. I think it's the stat that most explains our 4-8 season. At one point in the season Weisman was averaging more per attempt than JVB (after Minny game). Sokol had 10.2 ypa and Ruduck 6.0 ypa in the Spring game. 6.0 ypa will put us towards the bottom again with another 4-8 record whereas 10.2 is very good. We need 7.5 ypa or more to have any shot at a bowl.

The primary hope for significant improvement is that this was a result of GD's system not being fully embraced/learned quite yet.

However, if you look into the past of GD he usually does well with great athletes and not so great without them. In other words, he rarely puts out an offense that is greater than the sum of its parts.

I'm not going to keep beating this dead horse, but I'm amazed that Greg Davis was given another year.

Come on man, don't you get it? The offensive failure of 2012 had NOTHING to do with G. Davis. The players just didn't excute properly. Ask ferentz and his cult followers on here if you don't believe me.

FreedComanche

I agree with the statement about this being like year 1 all over again. Not letting Davis bring in any position coaches who knew how to coach his offense last year really made it hard to implement his system.

Come on man, don't you get it? The offensive failure of 2012 had NOTHING to do with G. Davis. The players just didn't excute properly. Ask ferentz and his cult followers on here if you don't believe me.

FreedComanche

Here you are making things up again. No one said this! I repeat... no one said this! Come back to reality when you'd like to participate in an adult discussion.

I think this is a good point. I dont think the staff were all on board last year. I dont think it was that KF wouldnt let him so much as he was just being his conservative self in not wanting all the turn over in one year. I really belived Soup would be gone last year. As it turns out trying to spread out the change over two years may have been a mistake
I agree with the statement about this being like year 1 all over again. Not letting Davis bring in any position coaches who knew how to coach his offense last year really made it hard to implement his system.

I remember watching a video of Soup discussing practice. I can't remember if it was spring or fall camp, but I distinctly remember him saying that he was trying to learn the new system just like the players were. He even went as far as to say some of the players were ahead of him on the learning curve... Not a good situation when you are supposed to be the one teaching them their assignments and responsibilities.

I think Josh makes a pretty good point. Could be another example of Ferentz putting loyalty in front of what's best for the team. Tough situation regardless.

Here you are making things up again. No one said this! I repeat... no one said this! Come back to reality when you'd like to participate in an adult discussion.

It's called demonstrating the ridculoussness suggested by some on here by being ridiculous.

And don't tell me to do anything.

FreedComanche

Schools switch coordinators all the time. Yet, I have never seen it used as such an excuse to suck so badly. Its like KF and the apologists are fronting the change as an acceptible reason to have those **** poor stats.

It's called demonstrating the ridculoussness suggested by some on here by being ridiculous.

And don't tell me to do anything.

FreedComanche

Several people disagreeing with your opinion makes them the ridiculous ones? Interesting perspective.

I'm not gonna turn this thread into yet another argument between you and I. Just don't put words into people's mouths. The only point people made to you was that how well the players execute is equally important to coaching philosophy and play-calling. Not a single person said that stuff doesn't matter like you suggested above ^.

Schools switch coordinators all the time. Yet, I have never seen it used as such an excuse to suck so badly. Its like KF and the apologists are fronting the change as an acceptible reason to have those **** poor stats.

I remain a KF sympathizer and I don't think it's acceptable at all. Matt Canada came in and had zero problems putting points on the board at Wisconsin in year one. Look what they did to Nebby in the B10 Championship. I wouldn't ever make excuses for GD. What we've seen out of his offense so far makes me want to vomit.

If the offense simply would have been the same as the previous year they would have probably gotten seven wins.

DP5555, your war of words with the ol' Comanch is probably a waste of your time, though I enjoy it when he gets called out. I particularly enjoy the fact that he throws a hissy fit when you make him pay up! I grew bored with him a long time ago; therefore, I put him on my ignore list; then I don't waste my time with him. I do see some of his posts when you or others respond to his nonsense...but I only skim them.

NO NO NO Iowa is good. Kirk won the orange bowl and greg hasnt had enough time, or his own players or coaches or gooder fans. Ill will not make a judgement on this offense until atleast Brian is HC. Then we'll know what we have.

Several people disagreeing with your opinion makes them the ridiculous ones? Interesting perspective.

I'm not gonna turn this thread into yet another argument between you and I. Just don't put words into people's mouths. The only point people made to you was that how well the players execute is equally important to coaching philosophy and play-calling. Not a single person said that stuff doesn't matter like you suggested above ^.

It never ceases to amaze me how dumb you make yourself look when you make a false assumption about what i think. It has nothing do if people disagree with me or not.

Not sure why I waste my time responding to you, though. It's a lost cause trying to reason with a ferentz defender.

FreedComanche

Latest posts