about time for some Iowa City road construction projects

Dubuque Street should be done by then I believe. They said Park Rd. Bridge would be open for Labor Day.

As for 1st Ave in Coralville? Who knows on that debacle.

They freaking have. They waited a week before the students are back before they decided to funnel f'ing Burlington down to 1 lane pretty much all the way as east as you can see. You can't even take it as takes 25 minutes to get down in in single lane. Have to go thru side roads.

I heard dominos is doing it.

What a dumb idea that whole thing is. Who on earth thought a pizza company fixing roads was a good idea. I’m sure they think it’s neat and creative and different, but it’s just a really really dumb idea and poor business decision.

I heard dominos is doing it.

What a dumb idea that whole thing is. Who on earth thought a pizza company fixing roads was a good idea. I’m sure they think it’s neat and creative and different, but it’s just a really really dumb idea and poor business decision.

I saw a damn commercial today about this. I thought it was a joke. I thought WTF!

Riverside and Myrtle will have a stoplight eventually. Traffic has been backing up there due to construction. As mentioned Burlington St has been a construction zone all summer. 1st Ave CV a nightmare for forseeable future. Now Mormon Trek one lane each direction from Melrose to almost Core Fitness (formerly New Life Fitness) as they are replacing sections of concrete. Melrose IS open all the way in/out.

I believe Labor Day is a little optimistic for Park Rd bridge. I just heard Sept 15th??

I am sure I am forgetting one or two. Maybe they can add a couple of more cars to the train!!

Oh and crews were out surveying Hwy 6 by the VA hospital today, but they will probably just throw some more hot patch on that. That section is worse than some third world countries.

I can't say that road construction bothers me at all. Not around Kinnick Stadium. No delays or inconveniences for me. Zero f**** given.

I take 1st ave. to the main drag, turn left, go up the hill to park in Finkbine Lot. Sounds like this will be a nightmare. How about: Take Dubuque St. to the bridge traffic light, turn right and go past Hancher all the way to the street that runs along the river, then cross the main drag at the stop light, up the hill to Finkbine. Would appreciate some thoughts on this route. Guess the only other one I can consider would be getting off at the mall exit and taking the long run down the main drag. eecchh!

I take 1st ave. to the main drag, turn left, go up the hill to park in Finkbine Lot. Sounds like this will be a nightmare. How about: Take Dubuque St. to the bridge traffic light, turn right and go past Hancher all the way to the street that runs along the river, then cross the main drag at the stop light, up the hill to Finkbine. Would appreciate some thoughts on this route. Guess the only other one I can consider would be getting off at the mall exit and taking the long run down the main drag. eecchh!
That's the exact route I take for basketball. Dubuque to Park to Rocky Shore and across Hwy 6 and up the hill. Not sure if any route will be easy for football but I will never come in from the West for football again. This includes 380, 80, the Coralville Strip, the road that runs by Iowa River Power Restaurant, none of them. How about taking Highway 1 all the way to Burlington Street and coming up the hill between Slater and Rienow residence halls. This would avoid the Mayflower area altogether. Of course coming from Cedar Rapids and points north or coming from points west would require doubling back but may not hurt to try.

Last edited:

Dubuque to Park Rd to Rocky Shore to Finkbine would be better than 1st Ave I would think.

But, I drove through the Dubuque/Bridge project yesterday and they have a ways to go to get that run up to the bridge finished by Sep 1st. Now if they have no more rain days, who knows... I can let you know when it gets closer.

You crazy. Dubuque's been ripped up for 1.5 years now. They raised Dubuque St and installed a new bridge at Park which is higher as well. They may be done, though, as I see they are forming up the intersection and getting ready to poor the concrete soon (prob by end of week) to connect Dubuque to Park bridge. But, there is still construction going on there with pylons all over the place.

Mall parking lot, boys. Save yo asses some trouble and take the train.

Unless you plan on doing some hardcore tailgating, I agree the train is the way to go. It's $15 well spent IMO. We get there early enough to park in the lots near IHOP and LongHorn Steakhouse.

Thanks for the responses! I will try a couple of options for the first two games and go from there.

Latest posts