ABC/ESPN Coverage question

ohhawk

As a Des Moines area resident (Mediacom customer) I noticed last week that ABC chose to carry the TX/OK game and the WI/MSU game was carried on ESPN . Well, the ESPN game coverage was nothing more than their new quick snipits of various games around the country so really didn't get to watch much of the WI/MSU game.

Has this been going on for quite some time? It looks like the only part of the Big 10 area that didn't get the full WI/MSU game was central and western IA. Is this because Ames is in central IA so they often show the Big 12 game over the Big 10?

I see this week's MI/MSU game will also in a similar situation for people living in W and SW Iowa as they will see a Big 12 game in full and the MI/MSU game will be on ESPN with their snipits of various games. Looks like the rest of the Big 10 gets to see the Big 10 game on ABC.

Assume this will change next year with the Huskers entry or will they still favor coverage of the Big 12 because of the Ames proximity.

Thoughts?

P.S. Not a Cyclone fan but did I see that if you had Dish Network you couldn't get the Cyclone game last Sat. as well?

Because of coverage restrictions/deals with Dish they couldn't show the Wisky MSU game in HD. The game was shown on standard def here though. Just switch to standard def ESPN and you should be able to see the game you want...more than likely.

I'm on DirecTV and had no problems getting the Big 10 game on ESPN. It's not uncommon for DirecTV to have the reverse mirror game on one of the ESPN alternate/spill over channels.

For local coverage (mediacom) Des Moines is considered B12 country. So B12 will always trump B10. Other than that I think gohawqs is right on.

For local coverage (mediacom) Des Moines is considered B12 country. So B12 will always trump B10. Other than that I think gohawqs is right on.

I'm not so sure about that. Since the creation of the reverse mirror for the 2:30 Big 10 game, fans have had it made with the Big 12 game on WOI and the Big 10 game being shown on ESPN. FWIW, tomorrow's Michigan/MSU game will be on WOI.

Prior to the reverse mirror, unless it was a key Big 12 matchup, WOI always went with the Big 10.

I'm on DirecTV and had no problems getting the Big 10 game on ESPN. It's not uncommon for DirecTV to have the reverse mirror game on one of the ESPN alternate/spill over channels.

This is another problem with having Mediacom and reason to get satellite. I have had to go to the alternate ESPN channels as well on Dish Network to find the reverse mirror image because for whatever reason it is blacked out on the main channel and I don't think you can get the alternate channels with Mediacom.

ESPN has even started to add (available in standard definition in some areas) at the ticker at the bottom of the page.

Because of coverage restrictions/deals with Dish they couldn't show the Wisky MSU game in HD. The game was shown on standard def here though. Just switch to standard def ESPN and you should be able to see the game you want...more than likely.

I hate this, and always forget about the ESPN standard crap...

If you are in the Des Moines area it isn't a mediacom problem with getting the TX/OU game last week. It's a local decision left up to each affiliate.

I had this reverse mirror standard/HD crap for the IA/ISU game.
I live in Michigan, so the tOSU/Miami game was the ABC game, while OKLA/FSU game was on ESPN. IA/ISU was the ESPN2 game and as the game was approaching I was on the phone w/ my brother who mentioned the Hawks coming out onto the field in the swarm....while I was watching VaTech losing to James Madison. I started to panic before I remembered that this happened last year. Switched from the HD channel to regular def and got to watch my game, but man is the standard def a big step down from HD. I would have been extremely upset if I had been DVRing this game....

In Iowa City, we had the opposite issue. WI/MSU was on ABC, and TX/OU was supposed to be on ESPN, but it was actually carrying College Football Overdrive, the ESPNNews feed. (I think thats what you were receiving when you say "snippets of other games")

I forgot about the ESPN non-HD thing, so it may have been available had I checked the ESPN SD channel.

If you are in the Des Moines area it isn't a mediacom problem with getting the TX/OU game last week. It's a local decision left up to each affiliate.

We know that, but with the reverse mirror the game gets moved to ESPN from ABC and it is when the game is on ESPN instead of ABC that you have to go to standard def from high def to see it.

Also sometimes the games will be blacked out on the main ESPN/ESPN2 channel for whatever reason but you can get it on one of the alternate ESPN channels in standard def and I don't think you get those alternate channels with Mediacom.

Latest posts