Aaron White's baseline drive/dunk

jardinero

The board seem to be pretty depressed/depressing since the game, so I thought I'd interject something on the positive side. The streaming feed just barely caught AW coming from the baseline and throwing down a nice two handed jam. Has anyone seen a clip that shows the entire play from another perspective? I'd love to see it. He showed some nice form on the dunk and a long three, and I hope he turns out to be a difference maker. He clearly needs work on the D end, as do they all. I am optimistic about this year, so I predict there will be max 3 replies to this post. Good news or even the suggestion of it does not seem to interest too many on this board.

Well, here is one reply for you. I'm not sure Iowa will be better this year, but starting next year Mc C's recruits will now be coming on with quite a few stars, so we should see the real improvement start then. Honestly, I would love to be more excited, but I just don't see many verry good athletes on Iowas team. I don't think you can say we now have the athletes we need to run Mc C's system yet. Its coming though, abd thats the good news. One thing is for sure, it will not be as god awful to watch as Licks type of ball.

The BTN feed on Aaron's dunk was indeed too close to see it very well. Re the poster who said help is on it's way with more "star" players. Dear God. If I gotta read one more post or comment about a kid and his "star" rating Im gonna puke. Folks. Doesnt always work that way. White is a perfect example. There is zero doubt the kid would have been a 4 star if not for an injury during his junior year that caused him to miss the entire AAU evaluation period. Fran has found a diamond in the rough with this kid I believe.

So there is no corelation then. Get real dude. So you are not more excited about the future with Gessell and Woodbury? We all get excited about the stars. It means a little more in Basketball then in football, I think. Lets relate it to football for a minute though. 2005 great recruiting class 2009 great year. Coinsidence, I think not.

So there is no corelation then. Get real dude. So you are not more excited about the future with Gessell and Woodbury? We all get excited about the stars. It means a little more in Basketball then in football, I think. Lets relate it to football for a minute though. 2005 great recruiting class 2009 great year. Coinsidence, I think not.
I think what he was saying is that there are a lot of great players that didn't get ink or maybe were injured in HS. Lots of players really start to develop later in HS and continue developing into their 20's. I definately would love to have 4-5 5 star recruits every year like Kentucky, Kanas, NC and others. They will always be top 10. Unfortuately, they have to continue to reload every year because they lose a lot of players after one year. The star rating is half talent and half exposure.

I think what he was saying is that there are a lot of great players that didn't get ink or maybe were injured in HS. Lots of players really start to develop later in HS and continue developing into their 20's. I definately would love to have 4-5 5 star recruits every year like Kentucky, Kanas, NC and others. They will always be top 10. Unfortuately, they have to continue to reload every year because they lose a lot of players after one year. The star rating is half talent and half exposure.
If Iowa "unfortunately" had to reload every year I wouldn't have a problem with it.

The BTN feed on Aaron's dunk was indeed too close to see it very well. Re the poster who said help is on it's way with more "star" players. Dear God. If I gotta read one more post or comment about a kid and his "star" rating Im gonna puke. Folks. Doesnt always work that way. White is a perfect example. There is zero doubt the kid would have been a 4 star if not for an injury during his junior year that caused him to miss the entire AAU evaluation period. Fran has found a diamond in the rough with this kid I believe.
Fran's first season, he had to find the diamonds in the rough. Nobody on an elite level, outside the state of Iowa was going to be interested in following the Lick years. We are fortunate that Fran has that ability, or we wouldn't have Aaron. I am certain that quite a few teams will be full of regret for not having Aaron on their radar screen. I do believe Fran did it again with the 2012 recruiting class, along with two four recruits, Gesell and Woodbury, he has found three recruits who were flying under the radar in Clemons, Ingram and Meyer.

I will always be grateful for Josh Oglesby being the first highly rated instate recruit in a while to sign with the Hawks. He started the ball rolling in a way, and helped to open the door a little that Woodbury slammed open for future top rated recruits to seriously consider the Hawks. It's all good and getting better.

If Iowa "unfortunately" had to reload every year I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I wouldn't care for it. 1 and dones are not the way I like to see things done. Before that rule was put in place, the best college freshmen usually stuck around for a few years. And then they won big time as upperclassmen.

These teams built around superstar freshmen don't have nearly the same kind of success rate in the tournament. They're always the most talented teams, and they almost never win it, or even make the Final Four.

I wouldn't care for it. 1 and dones are not the way I like to see things done. Before that rule was put in place, the best college freshmen usually stuck around for a few years. And then they won big time as upperclassmen.

These teams built around superstar freshmen don't have nearly the same kind of success rate in the tournament. They're always the most talented teams, and they almost never win it, or even make the Final Four.

Before the rule, the best talent skipped college altogether.

LOL, are you kidding? Terrible example. That class was the biggest bust ever.

the 2005 class had 3 sometimes 4 starters on the 09 team, everyone else came from 06 and beyond.

Fran is doing something right seeing that he has put together the 19th best recruiting class for 2012 basketball (according to ESPN). whether it be diamond in the rough or 4 star caliber, production is what matters.

Let's see how we do in the non-conference schedule. I think we will be better this year. Overall, the Big Ten does not appear to be as strong top to bottom. I still think this team is capable of 15 to 17 wins, which would be a big improvement over the 12 wins of last year.

No, star ratings aren't the absolute gospel, but I think I'll take my chances with 4-5 star recruits any day of the week, rather than 2-3 star players.

That said, I like what Aaron White brought the other night. That baseline dunk was impressive. He's going to be a good player.

LOL, are you kidding? Terrible example. That class was the biggest bust ever.

the 2005 class had 3 sometimes 4 starters on the 09 team, everyone else came from 06 and beyond.

Doesn't matter how many of them played. The ones that played were impact players, and winners. Look at our DL this year and tell me that recruiting class didn't matter. There is in fact a corelation there. Moeaki, Richardson, ect. Not such a terrible example, Huh.

If you say stars don't matter, then why are the best teams the one with the most highly touted recruits? Because in general, but not always, the highly rated players are the best. I would take a class full of 4 and 5* players in a heart beat.

Every one gets bent out of shape when a few of the highly ranked players don't pan out, but when one 2* makes the NFL it is stars don't matter. Ok. Well there are a lot more 2 and 3* players that never see the field then 4 and 5s.

Stars do matter, they just don't mean everything.

Doesn't matter how many of them played. The ones that played were impact players, and winners. Look at our DL this year and tell me that recruiting class didn't matter. There is in fact a corelation there. Moeaki, Richardson, ect. Not such a terrible example, Huh.

Im not arguing against highly rated players, especially in basketball where its much easier to identify how good players actually are...but

The football example was as far off base as you can get.

The 05 class would be the #1 argument for why starts don't necessarily equal success.

That was the worst class Iowa has had under KF, it in no way equaled success in 09. What it did was gave the two worst years of the decade in 06 and 07.

Latest posts