4th and less than 1

Well, Petras major effed that up once by fumbling the snap, maybe that played in?
Yup this combined with Lindy having gotten hurt. I was more pissed at our 3rd down conversion % then that. If we'd have converted the 3rd and 2 before that. Or pick any one of the other 3rd and mediums/shorts that we didn't all game long. We literally wasted 4 first half possessions. Some can boil it all down to that one call but it was the whole game to me.

They leaned on the D 1 too many times. You'd think they could prevent them from going 80 yards to score with 3 mins left but D was toast giving up chunk play after chunk play. Knowing that you'd think they'd go for it on 4th and try to win it there like everyone has said. I'm just dissapionted all the way around. Those players all deserved more..

Well, Petras major effed that up once by fumbling the snap, maybe that played in?
And Iowa tried the QB sneak 2 plays in a row against Purdue and it failed twice in a row.

Then against Wisc Iowa tried the FB plunge 2 plays in a row and it failed twice in a row.

The original poster has a poor memory. Iowa has failed several times in short yardage.

Nate Stanley was good for 3-4 yards on 4th and inches

Spencer Petras is good for not quite enough inches on 4th and inches.

KF trusts his defense so much more than his offense that against PSU Iowa literally kneeled down on the 2nd last drive of game.

In another game Iowa had first and goal and could have put the game away by at least trying to run for a TD, but essentially kneeled down and kicked a FG, giving the other team a chance to win with a TD.

There was no way in the Citrus bowl that KF was going to run a play on 4th and short to seal the game. Its just for the 1st time this season Iowa got burned trusting its defense. It was going to happen sooner or later.

Iowa has failed several times in short yardage.

Correct. We want to pretend that we have an o-line on par with an average or above average Wisconsin o-line, but the reality is that in the past 4 or so years we have had a line that is roughly on par with Northwestern's.

With the backup center? WTF!

Punting the ball was the correct call. The defense had been playing lights out that 2nd half and stopping the run was Kentucky's strength on defense, they had a 300+ lb d-lineman who could not be moved. They had already failed at 4th and inches before so risking it again didn't make no sense. IMO they would have needed to run some kind of trick play had they gone for it.

With the backup center? WTF!

Punting the ball was the correct call. The defense had been playing lights out that 2nd half and stopping the run was Kentucky's strength on defense, they had a 300+ lb d-lineman who could not be moved. They had already failed at 4th and inches before so risking it again didn't make no sense. IMO they would have needed to run some kind of trick play had they gone for it.
Yeah it's the ultimate hindsight scenario. I see why KF did what he did.

We'd like to think Taylor coulda punted it inside the 15-10 yard line and not put it in the endzone..

Despite that would like to think D coulda prevented them from going 80 yards in like 2 mins to score. They did that way way too easily. The D thought they'd done their job the possession before getting the interception and stopping them. Went to the well 1 too many times trying to lean on them. Offense has to do their part but as they had all year long just couldn't...

To me it boiled down to 3rd down conversions. It'd been an all season long problem and it certainly was again in this game. Iowa wasted 4 possessions in the 1st half. Had way too many 3rd down and 4 yards to go or less and not converting them to keep drives alive. The play before the 4th and less then 1 was a 3rd and 2. Convert that and make things easier on yourselves. But here we are on the Monday after...

What no one’s also talking about is burning that timeout with the STUPID attempt to draw them offsides. Mark Stoops and his staff knew exactly what Kurt was doing there and so did his players. That play literally never works. It’s as bad as fouling at the end of the game in basketball.

Taylor actually could’ve used the room since he put it in the endzone anyway.

Say what you want about the 4th down fumble and pick at the end, but if we go into that possession with an extra timeout things change. Big time.

What no one’s also talking about is burning that timeout with the STUPID attempt to draw them offsides. Mark Stoops and his staff knew exactly what Kurt was doing there and so did his players. That play literally never works. It’s as bad as fouling at the end of the game in basketball.

Say what you want about the 4th down fumble and pick at the end, but if we go into that possession with an extra timeout things change. Big time.

Yes, burning a timeout there, which a whole hell of a lot of coaches do each year, is beyond stupid. Your punter avgs about 48 yards a punt so him punting from 5 yards further would have been perfect.

Again it was an execution thing because Taylor hit a low punt which is not the norm.

But games go like that were little things add up.

I wonder if the Kentucky nose tackle did something with Linderbaum, barely bumped him or called out a fake snap count, on that first half qb sneak snafu because Petras was really hot with the refs about something.

Was any mention of that done later?

I thought I saw on twitter that there were claims the NT hit the ball during or before the snap, but I couldn't tell on any of the replays.

Yes, burning a timeout there, which a whole hell of a lot of coaches do each year, is beyond stupid. Your punter avgs about 48 yards a punt so him punting from 5 yards further would have been perfect.

Again it was an execution thing because Taylor hit a low punt which is not the norm.

But games go like that were little things add up.

I wonder if the Kentucky nose tackle did something with Linderbaum, barely bumped him or called out a fake snap count, on that first half qb sneak snafu because Petras was really hot with the refs about something.

Was any mention of that done later?
It could also be said that Iowa lost the game on that play alone. I would have to go back and watch to see if there was interference. However, if we kick he field goal there (95% chance we make it) Kentucky loses the game based on the final outcome.

Taylor had put quite a few in the endzone the last few games. He's trying to get too cute putting it inside the 5 all the time on a sportscenter highlight. Just put the thing inside the 15-10 and out of bounds. It doesn't have to be at the 1 or 2.

Now maybe it wouldn't have ultimately mattered. But it damn well coulda. It changes what their first couple play calls would be I bet. The domino effect of everything at that point we'll never know.

It could also be said that Iowa lost the game on that play alone. I would have to go back and watch to see if there was interference. However, if we kick he field goal there (95% chance we make it) Kentucky loses the game based on the final outcome.

I just bumped into a friend who said somewhere on the web there is an article about Linderbaum being interfered with on that first half short yardage snap.

I just bumped into a friend who said somewhere on the web there is an article about Linderbaum being interfered with on that first half short yardage snap.
It's a myth, go look at the replays. It was a bad snap all the way around.

Not sure it was entirely Petras. He didn't "bail out" and he didn't move his hands during the snap. I'd say it was 50-50 on that exchange. And what happened was Kentucky brought in their big-guy package and had two MLB's in the gaps between their nose and tackles. Not sure they could have got that necessary yardage with a sneak.

Latest posts