3 Questions for Mr. Howe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChosenChildren

You more than anyone else in the country have driven this narrative. You have published every Twitter, interviewed countless people, and offered numerous opinions. Based on your detailed knowledge of this situation, I have 3 simple questions for you, which you really should answer:

1. If you had the power to shape Iowa football going forward, I’m assuming you would now fire Coach Doyle. Is that correct?

2. Same assumption. Would you fire Brian Ferentz?

3. Again, assume you have the power. Would you fire Kirk Ferentz?

These are yes or no questions. Please answer them. You have enough data to do so.

Just for the record, here are my answers:

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No. He is a powerful potential agent for change. Leave him as head coach and see if he can create a better environment for these players. Assistant coaches are fired all the time when they lose too many games. These two coaches “lost” by failing in their ultimate duty to teach and mold young men in the right way. Give Kirk a chance to right the ship.

I say no, no, and again no! I believe this was a premeditated attack on the Iowa football program. I believe several of these “hurt” individuals conspired together to do this. Funny how quickly all the tweets came out so fast. I’m wondering if any of these individuals are cashing those George Soros checks.

I say no, no, and again no! I believe this was a premeditated attack on the Iowa football program. I believe several of these “hurt” individuals conspired together to do this. Funny how quickly all the tweets came out so fast. I’m wondering if any of these individuals are cashing those George Soros checks.
i don't know about the whole soros thing, but in answer to your query Rob said the guys admitted they organized it and came out. I believe the quote Rob said on the podcast was something to the effect of "hey be watching were going do something...." or something like that. i dont' recall 100 percent.

I actually agree with you Chosen..... I think Rob should answer those questions. No need to feign neutrality or just reporting at this point.

I answered your question about firing coaches in another thread where you asked it.

I’ve driven this narrative more than anyone else in the country? I’ve offered numerous opinions?

I shared player stories. I shared Iowa’s responses to them. Some fans are pissed at me. I can’t help that.

I’m not sure why it’s bad that players organizing to tell their stories. They may have needed all those voices together to be heard. I don’t know. Do you care what they have to say?

Now that they’ve shared them, there will be an investigation. If Iowa did nothing wrong, that will show. If it did, a decision will be made on punishment based on the findings.

I don't think Seth Wallace gets a Get Out of Jail Free Card. I see him and Doyle as the one's most on the chopping block. I suppose B. Ferentz as well.

KF is guilty more of holding grudges against certain players for not conforming to "The Iowa Way". These are two separate issues at Iowa. I wouldn't put KF into the racist category as I don't think he bullied any players.

Also, I'm not sure "bullying" equals "racist" for those coaches blamed. I think they busted balls to select players and it got out of hand.

I guess this is my take on the Iowa situation.

Last edited:
Also, I don't know why people should be pissed at Rob. I think he's done what a journalist should do, report information stated. Rob is between a rock and a hard spot.

What if he didn't report like has has been. People would be bitching that he was not reporting and holding back information.

Rob - Just continue doing what you do.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but initially didn't these stories come to light because general posts were made by a few players indicating that the staff may not have wanted to address the racial issues with the team. At that point, some no it all fans, people from outside the program, or Iowa City residents began calling them out which led to the stories coming out.

I may be off base, but I think the straw that may have broke the camels back was the fans that accused them of not knowing what they were talking about. They refused to accept their general statements that everything was as harmonious inside the Iowa program, or Iowa City (for that matter) as everyone wanted to believe and came forward because their credibility was being attacked. Maybe, just maybe, this could have been avoided if those individuals would have simply shut their mouths and actually listened. As stated in a number of other threads the players and former players aren't and weren't head hunting or going after jobs, but rather trying to raise awareness of what was going on to promote change within the culture of the program.

I do not understand why anyone is upset at Rob for this or any other Iowa beat writers. It's a story on Iowa football, it's their job to cover it. I am glad that Iowa reporters report the good and bad with this program.

Agreed although I truly want to hear good things about the program I also think as fans we deserve to hear both sides. It keeps things more transparent.

I look at it like this. There no other comparison to football than war. Drill sergeants train them to be warriors, much like a strength and conditioning coaches. He has to get them prepared so they don’t get themselves killed. He has no time to worry about their feelings. It’s war! Same in football, strength coaches have to prepare them so there is less likely of a chance that they get injured. Soldiers still get killed, players still get injured. But it’s their job to lessen that possibility.

KF is like a field commander, he has to have a plan of attack. He depends on all of those sergeants have his guys ready. If a soldier went up to the commander and said that those guys shooting at him hurt his feelings, he would just look at him and say, “ Son, you’re gonna die!” This is not a game for boys, it’s a game for men!

Was what happened to PSU, OSU, and MSU an attack on those programs as opposed to a big problem?

I look at it like this. There no other comparison to football than war. Drill sergeants train them to be warriors, much like a strength and conditioning coaches. He has to get them prepared so they don’t get themselves killed. He has no time to worry about their feelings. It’s war! Same in football, strength coaches have to prepare them so there is less likely of a chance that they get injured. Soldiers still get killed, players still get injured. But it’s their job to lessen that possibility.

KF is like a field commander, he has to have a plan of attack. He depends on all of those sergeants have his guys ready. If a soldier went up to the commander and said that those guys shooting at him hurt his feelings, he would just look at him and say, “ Son, you’re gonna die!” This is not a game for boys, it’s a game for men!

There is no comparison to war. The objective is to kill the enemy.
Study WW2. As the war went on most soldiers main goal was to survive.
Even the 101st ABN was made up of terrified young men trying to survive.
You have no clue. None.

I answered your question about firing coaches in another thread where you asked it.

I’ve driven this narrative more than anyone else in the country? I’ve offered numerous opinions?

I shared player stories. I shared Iowa’s responses to them. Some fans are pissed at me. I can’t help that.

I’m not sure why it’s bad that players organizing to tell their stories. They may have needed all those voices together to be heard. I don’t know. Do you care what they have to say?

Now that they’ve shared them, there will be an investigation. If Iowa did nothing wrong, that will show. If it did, a decision will be made on punishment based on the findings.

If Iowa did things wrong, the investigation may or may not show that depending on who funds it and what the end goal is.

Was what happened to PSU, OSU, and MSU an attack on those programs as opposed to a big problem?

Those programs were facing circumstances that leads to criminal charges, none of that is relevant to what’s happening here. These players had an opportunity to contact Kirk and address these issues or they would turn to social media to get their point across. But no, they just attacked the football program without giving them a chance to address their concerns beforehand. This was childish and petty and it’s also typical of their culture.

Except none of these kids are going into war, they are playing a game at a higher learning institution. They aren't even being paid proportionally fair for it. These coaches are mentors, paid millions and trusted by parents to help mold and shape their children's minds at literally their most vulnerable stage in life. KF is not a drill sergeant. He shouldn't be acting like a drill sergeant. I hope that you understand there is a clear difference. I get what you are trying to do with comparing them, but being a demeaning bigot to guys isn't making them less susceptible to injury.

Last edited:
I do not understand why anyone is upset at Rob for this or any other Iowa beat writers. It's a story on Iowa football, it's their job to cover it. I am glad that Iowa reporters report the good and bad with this program.
Because they are daft and have no idea how things actually work - in journalism especially. These are the same type of people that would be pissed at everyone and ignore the atrocities had they been Penn State fans.

Last edited:
Those programs were facing circumstances that leads to criminal charges, none of that is relevant to what’s happening here. These players had an opportunity to contact Kirk and address these issues or they would turn to social media to get their point across. But no, they just attacked the football program without giving them a chance to address their concerns beforehand. This was childish and petty and it’s also typical of their culture.

Kirk's been pretty much described as "The President" when it comes to access within the Iowa program. They don't have access to him, nearly at all in the off season and only in small spurts during the season. They are also young men who haven't found their voices yet in most cases. I would say a lot more to an authority figure at the age of 40 then I would at the age of 18, especially if that authority figure have ultimate control and influence over my future. Also, some players and parents are stating they actually DID go to the coach KF, he swept it under the rug he just forgot though.

Not that you weren’t’ highly credible already, but you just lost 100%. “Their culture?” What culture is that?

Agree or not,

You may want to define what you meant by "their culture".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts