3 point shooters

PCHawk

Is Bohannon, CJ, and Wieskamp the best trifecta of 3 point shooters Iowa has ever had?

Bohannon has already made a damn good case for being the best 3 point shooter in Iowa history.

Wieskamp shot a great percentage last year, made something like 91 out of 100 in a 3 point drill at an NBA camp a couple years ago, and had a opposing coach come out to watch him pre game last year talking about how great of a shooter he is.

CJ is a first year guy so it's hard to know for sure with him, but he was a great shooter in high school, was clutch in his state tournament, and has hardly even grazed a rim the last few games. It sure looks like he's going to be a top 10 3 point shooter by the time his career ends.

If these 3 aren't the best, who is? What are some other trifectas in past years that are better than these three?

Great topic!
Keep in mind though that 25-30 years ago the 3-ball was not near as prominent in the offensive scheme as it is today. It was more of a home-run type shot with relatively few attempts compared to today's game.

Great topic!
Keep in mind though that 25-30 years ago the 3-ball was not near as prominent in the offensive scheme as it is today. It was more of a home-run type shot with relatively few attempts compared to today's game.

I was actually thinking about that. That's kinda takes away all the older teams by default. Bohannon and Jok were really good. Put Moss in with them and they could compete with these 3. I honestly can't think another 3 that are close.

94-95

Kingsbury,Settles and Woolridge

Kingsbury hit a bunch of 3(s) that year. Settles had a good 3 pt. shot, but I can’t remember if that was the year he started having back issues. Woolridge didn’t have a great shot just made them when he needed to.

Losing Nunge lost us a 3pt threat, but it also probably means more minutes for Wieskamp, Fredrick, and Jbo who are all high level chuckers from deep. Same thing here though, with Jbo we are a high level 3pt shooting team, if he shuts it down we probably go to a bad or average 3pt shooting team.

Gotta also mention the 1996-97 Iowa team who IIRC was #1 nationally in 3 point %. Mccausland shot 52% and Woolridge/Leuhrsmann were both around 39%.

But this year's team could certainly end up being strong in this category.

1988, Armstrong, Moe and Michael Reaves were sneaky good.

But like another poster said, the early years of the three point line saw teams kind of feeling their way with the new toy. I remember coaches hating it when it was first implemented. John Wooden Disciples like Denny Crum and Lute Olsen despised the trifecta. Bobby Knight wasn't crazy about it, but didn't hesitate to give Steve Alford the green light.

Decades later there's no question it's changed the game. Watch how the break is run. We were taught many years ago to run wide, sometimes even hugging the sideline, then making the 45 degree cut near the foul line. Now you have two or three people fanning out to the arc, ready to pull the trigger.

Is Bohannon, CJ, and Wieskamp the best trifecta of 3 point shooters Iowa has ever had?

Bohannon has already made a damn good case for being the best 3 point shooter in Iowa history.

Wieskamp shot a great percentage last year, made something like 91 out of 100 in a 3 point drill at an NBA camp a couple years ago, and had a opposing coach come out to watch him pre game last year talking about how great of a shooter he is.

CJ is a first year guy so it's hard to know for sure with him, but he was a great shooter in high school, was clutch in his state tournament, and has hardly even grazed a rim the last few games. It sure looks like he's going to be a top 10 3 point shooter by the time his career ends.

If these 3 aren't the best, who is? What are some other trifectas in past years that are better than these three?
I remember hearing Connor say that CJF was a better shooter than Bohannon in the offseason. You can just tell by the way he shoots it it’s expected to go in. I want those three guys shooting as many good looks from deep that we can get.

I remember hearing Connor say that CJF was a better shooter than Bohannon in the offseason. You can just tell by the way he shoots it it’s expected to go in. I want those three guys shooting as many good looks from deep that we can get.

I think CJ is going to be really, really good. He's clearly a great shooter with a quick release, but his ball handling, basketball IQ, and defense are all way better than I expected too. Him and Wieskamp will make a great pair the next couple years....hopefully.

I think CJ is going to be really, really good. He's clearly a great shooter with a quick release, but his ball handling, basketball IQ, and defense are all way better than I expected too. Him and Wieskamp will make a great pair the next couple years....hopefully.
CJ’s true shooting percentage as of today (.734) is actually higher than the all time leader in college BBall history.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/leaders/ts-pct-player-career.html

Okay so that’s not sustainable but I do think he’s going to be a more efficient scorer than Moss was. I’m not sure if it’s this year or next year but watching a full season of these three bombers is going to be fun. Hopefully they will be able to bring us home a victory at Syracuse on Tuesday.

CJ is a pure shooter. His mechanics are crazy good...no wasted motion...and he gets it off fast. We need Wieskamp to be Joe Wieskamp...he's been a little out of sync. We finally have a few guards that can penetrate and put pressure on the defense, especially in transition. Toussaint attacks and kicks it out...result...wide open looks.

With a well-rested and healthy Bohannon, Weiscamp, and Frederick we should be able to play with most teams not named Kentucky or Duke this season. Luka is key to everything. If he has room inside, we will bedevil the opposition inside and out.

I was really impressed by the second team outplaying the aztecs with their junk yard dawg mentality.

If the reserves can keep us close while the sharpshooters and Garza, who is capable of long-range accuracy, are resting, we might be a surprising team. The experts really don't expect much from the Hawks this year.

Gonna be tricky to keep everyone healthy. That probably is the key to a solid season.

Our three snipers are as good as any combination we have had that I can remember, like having 3 Downtown Freddy Browns or Chris Kingsburys on the team.

Rather home-brewed analysis but that is how I see it.....

:cool:

With a well-rested and healthy Bohannon, Weiscamp, and Frederick we should be able to play with most teams not named Kentucky or Duke this season. Luka is key to everything. If he has room inside, we will bedevil the opposition inside and out.

I was really impressed by the second team outplaying the aztecs with their junk yard dawg mentality.

If the reserves can keep us close while the sharpshooters and Garza, who is capable of long-range accuracy, are resting, we might be a surprising team. The experts really don't expect much from the Hawks this year.

Gonna be tricky to keep everyone healthy. That probably is the key to a solid season.

Our three snipers are as good as any combination we have had that I can remember, like having 3 Downtown Freddy Browns or Chris Kingsburys on the team.

Rather home-brewed analysis but that is how I see it.....

:cool:

I have always wondered how Freddy Brown would have rated, or what our 69-70 team would have done had the 3 point shot existed then.

Latest posts