2017 Recruiting Class - Hits/Guys/Misses

Stanzi

I saw this on another board and thought it was interesting. I looked back through the 2017 recruiting class to find out which recruits were hits (clear starters/good performers), guys (see the field but don't do much) or misses (injured, transfers, busts). Most either turned into hits or misses in my view.

Epenesa – Huge hit

Kallenberger – hit

Wirfs – Huge hit

Colbert – guy/borderline hit

Mansell – miss (transferred out)

Bryan – miss (transferred out)

Duwa – miss (transferred out)

Hankins – hit

B. Smith – big hit

Kelly-Martin – guy

Camron Harrell – miss (transferred out)

Jacob Coons – miss (transferred out)

Creamer – miss (transferred out)

Cooper – guy

Henry Marchese – miss

Joshua Turner – miss (transferred out)

Coy Kirkpatrick – guy

Smith-Marsette – big hit

Nixon – hit

Nate Wieland – miss (transferred out)

Stone – big hit

Gersonde – miss

Koerner* - guy/potential to be hit

Schott* - guy/potential to be hit

Thoughts?

I am going to slightly disagree with a few.

Colbert has started for two straight seasons, and he will be a 3-year starter before it is all said and done. He is a hit (especially in comparison to Kallenberger, whom you labeled a hit, and who has only started about 5 games).

I wouldn't label Marchese a miss. I think he is what he was expected to be, by fans and staff. He was a fall-back late in the process after they missed out on Martin, and he has been a good special teams contributor. That is enough to make him a "guy" in my book.

And a teeny/tiny quibble: I think Hankins has been every bit as valuable and productive as B. Smith. He has had injury setbacks, but he is also going to be a 3-year starter before it is all said and done, and if he gets some health luck, he will be next in a long line of Iowa all-B1G defensive back. I don't know if I am arguing that Hankins is a "big hit" (that doesn't quite seem right, yet, but I think it might at the end of 2020), or if I am arguing that B. Smith should just be a "hit?" Hopefully by the end of 2020 they are both all-B1G caliber and we can consider them both huge recruiting scores.

I am going to slightly disagree with a few.

Colbert has started for two straight seasons, and he will be a 3-year starter before it is all said and done. He is a hit (especially in comparison to Kallenberger, whom you labeled a hit, and who has only started about 5 games).

I wouldn't label Marchese a miss. I think he is what he was expected to be, by fans and staff. He was a fall-back late in the process after they missed out on Martin, and he has been a good special teams contributor. That is enough to make him a "guy" in my book.

And a teeny/tiny quibble: I think Hankins has been every bit as valuable and productive as B. Smith. He has had injury setbacks, but he is also going to be a 3-year starter before it is all said and done, and if he gets some health luck, he will be next in a long line of Iowa all-B1G defensive back. I don't know if I am arguing that Hankins is a "big hit" (that doesn't quite seem right, yet, but I think it might at the end of 2020), or if I am arguing that B. Smith should just be a "hit?" Hopefully by the end of 2020 they are both all-B1G caliber and we can consider them both huge recruiting scores.

That's a fair point on Colbert. I went back and forth on him. It just seems like he's been really inconsistent which made me hesitate to label him a hit. Hopefully he takes a leap forward this fall.

I also might be too generous with the "big hit" for B. Smith but it's been so nice to have a WR who can make the types of catches he does. We just really need him to stay healthy.

Also, unrelated to your response, but I had forgotten how lowly rated Stone was. He didn't even reach 80 on 247.

Brandon Smith would already be in "huge hit" territory had he not gotten hurt.

He was hitting his stride mid-season, before getting hurt, with performances of 6 for 71, 7 for 86, and 9 for 106.

His average ypg gets hurt by appearing for one emergency play against Minny, as I really believe he would have broken 800 yards had he been healthy all year.

Petras having him, ISM, Tracy, Ragaini, and LaPorta is gonna be HUGE for next year.

Brandon Smith would already be in "huge hit" territory had he not gotten hurt.

He was hitting his stride mid-season, before getting hurt, with performances of 6 for 71, 7 for 86, and 9 for 106.

His average ypg gets hurt by appearing for one emergency play against Minny, as I really believe he would have broken 800 yards had he been healthy all year.

Petras having him, ISM, Tracy, Ragaini, and LaPorta is gonna be HUGE for next year.

I think the same is true of Hankins. If they can figure out a way to keep him healthy all year, expect an Ojemudia-like (i.e. all-B1G) season out of him next year.

Thoughts?
My thoughts are you shouldn’t get so drunk and fuckin stupid in game threads.

Why’d you delete all your posts saying "F these motherfuckers?" You know, the ones where you’re calling the team a bunch of pussies?

Maybe you’re the pussy if you gotta delete your post history.

Last edited:

Why’d you delete all your threads saying F these motherfuckers? You know, the ones where you’re calling the team a bunch of pussies?

On the "remaining games" basketball poll there are a handful of votes for 3-6, which was the worst finish voted until Stanzi came along and voted for 0-9.

It's like he participated in the famous Milgram obedience experiment and went from moderate shock straight to XXX.

Why’d you delete all your posts saying F these motherfuckers? You know, the ones where you’re calling the team a bunch of pussies?

Never called the team pussies and the MFers was towards Purdue not Iowa. I deleted a couple of posts as they weren’t appropriate in hindsight. Please keep this thread on track.

On the "remaining games" basketball poll there are a handful of votes for 3-6, which was the worst finish voted until Stanzi came along and voted for 0-9.

It's like he participated in the famous Milgram obedience experiment and went from moderate shock straight to XXX.

Simply clicked the wrong option. I intended to choose 3-6. Hopeful we do better though.

I deleted a couple of posts as they weren’t appropriate in hindsight. Please keep this thread on track.
Bullshit. You ain't gettin off that easy.

You do that shit every--single--time the Hawks get down in a game.

Hyperbole and public freakouts are fine, and they're kinda funny, but don't call people soft and talk a bunch of shit if you're gonna be a cowardly F and try to delete your shit like it never happened. That's the ultimate spineless bitch move.

And it was more than a couple. Here's just a little smattering, and there were way more than this that you deleted that never got quoted by people. And...you do the same thing in football game threads. Either say shit and own it, or quit being a little cunty temper tantrum thrower.

By my count here's 8 posts you deleted just from last night’s game thread (not quite a couple), and that doesn't count the other ones you do literally any other time you post in a game threat we lose.

111.jpg

222.jpg

333.jpg

444.jpg

555.jpg

666.jpg

888.jpg

999.jpg

Last edited:
Simply clicked the wrong option. I intended to choose 3-6. Hopeful we do better though.
Uhhhh....

No you didnt :)

You specificly posted 0-9--as in typed it out--in a thread. Not "clicked the wrong option." Then you deleted it like a bitch.

Would you like me to post the screenshot or are you gonna be a man and admit it?

Never called the team pussies and the MFers was towards Purdue not Iowa. I deleted a couple of posts as they weren’t appropriate in hindsight. Please keep this thread on track.
And in case you think I'm way off base, here's @Northside Hawk calling you out on it too...

You do it all the time because you;re a spineless worm who can't hold his liquor.

777.jpg

Uhhhh....

No you didnt :)

You specificly posted 0-9--as in typed it out--in a thread. Not "clicked the wrong option." Then you deleted it like a bitch.

Would you like me to post the screenshot or are you gonna be a man and admit it?

It’s really weird that you screenshot my posts. I intended to say we’d go 3-6. That’s my official prediction. The past is the past. Let’s move forward.

I also might be too generous with the "big hit" for B. Smith but it's been so nice to have a WR who can make the types of catches he does. We just really need him to stay healthy.
Wait till you get drunk next fall and we lose a game, you'll be telling him to transfer.

And in case you think I'm way off base, here's @Northside Hawk calling you out on it too...

You do it all the time because you;re a spineless worm who can't hold his liquor.

777.jpg

Jesus man. I overreacted and posted while angry. I deleted the posts that were over the line. I fully admit I overreacted and that I deleted posts. I’m not denying that. A spineless worm? No, just an angry in the moment poster. It’s something I need to work on.

It’s really weird that you screenshot my posts. I intended to say we’d go 3-6. That’s my official prediction. The past is the past. Let’s move forward.
YOU TYPED OUT 0-9 with a comment about how shit the team and season was! And then deleted it!

You want proof?

You want to move forward, admit you're a cunt who likes to talk shit and then run away from it.

YOU TYPED OUT 0-9 with a comment about how shit the team and season was! And then deleted it!

You want proof?

You want to move forward, admit you're a cunt who likes to talk shit and then run away from it.

I think we go 3-6. I deleted my dramatic post saying 0-9. Not denying that in the slightest. I admit that I overreact in the moment and then delete the posts once I’ve calmed down.

Jesus man. I overreacted and posted while angry. I deleted the posts that were over the line. I fully admit I overreacted and that I deleted posts. I’m not denying that. A spineless worm? No, just an angry in the moment poster. It’s something I need to work on.
You do it every time there's a game thread and we're losing. Every goddamn time.

You said just a little bit ago in your reply to me that you never called the team pussies.

But these are better, right?

The whole team can go ahead and transfer. What a fucking joke

This team is a fucking joke

This whole team is toast

We fucking suck and are a fucking joke of a team. Biggest bunch of losers I've watched since Lickliter.

Here's the best one...

Can CJ please transfer? Dude fucking sucks.

Last edited:
I think we go 3-6. I deleted my dramatic post saying 0-9. Not denying that in the slightest. I admit that I overreact in the moment and then delete the posts once I’ve calmed down.
Ok so now we can make that 9 posts instead of "a couple" that you deleted.

Look, Bueller, if you're gonna freak out like a girl, fine. Sometimes it's funny and everyone gets mad at times. But don't act like you're not a douche for deleting it.

Don't talk a bunch of shit like a tough guy and try to wipe it out like a girl when you sober up, so hopefully people don't see it. Get some outpatient treatment for that booze thing. Seriously. This is just a tiny bit of the problem hooch is gonna cause you.

Last edited:
It’s really weird that you screenshot my posts.
As long as we're getting "weird," here's another gem of yours from the other night calling out @IowaHawkeyeFB for being a tool when you do the EXACT SAME THING.

Only he didn't go back and delete his stuff when he sobered up.

Capture.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts