2016 Recruiting Over/Under - 9 Two Stars; 1 Four Star

iowalaw

Banned
Some seem pretty excited about the way recruiting has been going this year. They are quick to congratulate Seth Wallace for his "offer first ask questions later" method. We have more offers and commits in June than ever before, and tout a Top 30 rivals.com recruiting rating.

The rest of us fear that the quality of this recruiting class is deteriorating right before our eyes. According to Rivals, next year's class, which has about 10 schollies left to fill, already contains MORE 2 star recruits than we had total in 2010, 2011, and 2013!). We are also trending downward when it comes to landing blue chip recruits. 0 of our 16 commits are 4 stars or higher, and overall, only 1 of our last 41 commits have been 4 star.

I'll make a very conservative over/under to see who puts their money where their mouth is on this supposed "recruiting momentum" that Kirk and crew are generating. First, who believes we end up with under 9 two star recruits (which would still be the highest number this decade)? I am betting OVER. Who is betting that we end up with more than one 4 star commit (which is still less than 2010, 2011, and 2012). I am betting UNDER.

For comparison:

2016 - 6 two stars; 0 four stars
2015 - 7 two stars; 1 four stars [Daniels]
2014 - 7 two stars; 2 four stars [Scheel, Wiegers]
2013 - 5 two stars; 0 four stars
2012 - 5 two stars; 4 four stars [Garmon, Ekakatie, Ward, Johnson]
2011 - 5 two stars; 4 four stars [Walsh, Hamilton, Coe, Blythe]
2010 - 5 two stars; 4 four stars [Coker, Derby (NFL), Donnal (NFL), Fiedorowicz (NFL)]

Last edited:
how do you feel about that clowny recruiting class paw has going for your boys - 1st recruit - actually a 0 star kid the day of his verbal - now that's a real diamond in the rough.

What recruiting service are you getting your information from? 247 only lists two players a 2 stars.

[video]https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTUvlipURqvMeO8HcOpzT3_mVi7rLUrc3_fH1CfoYlrMI7BCrk[/video]

giphy.gif

for you rschneider......good choice!

Go on over to Hawk Central and take a look at the latest on Iowa football recruiting and the myth of the star system. Makes Law's nonsense and outright lies even more glaring.

Yea those 2 star numbers aren't accurate. And will be even less accurate after the upcoming season.

The problem with the "offer first ask questions later" method is kids will have lousy senior seasons, other kids will surpass them who haven't cropped up of gotten playing time for their high schools yet, or character issues come to light, like that quarterback who was committed last year but had his offer revoked over the phone after losing his starting gig at high school or whatever. Its not some weird ratio of four stars to two star kids that it sounds like you just invented.

I mean, honestly.. I know this isn't regarding 3* players but there's a pretty fine line between a 3 and 4* player.. a few of these guys would be 4* guys if they'd have committed to the SEC squads or MICH, MSU, OHio State squads

Anyone know when the last time imported posted something substantive? He has thousands of posts, but they seldom are relevant or even related to sports at all. Perhaps he would be better off going to soap opera message boards and adding nothing there? I guess there's a reason the tool has 10,000 posts and just a few thumbs ups (all from mental midgets dean and bildo)

Last edited:
I think it would be a fun experiment one time to have OSU, Alabama, FLA offer a player who does not even start on his high school team to see how many stars he would then receive. I know the services try to evaluate players but some of this is who offers and where the school offering falls in the pecking order.

Some seem pretty excited about the way recruiting has been going this year. They are quick to congratulate Seth Wallace for his "offer first ask questions later" method. We have more offers and commits in June than ever before, and tout a Top 30 rivals.com recruiting rating.

The rest of us fear that the quality of this recruiting class is deteriorating right before our eyes. According to Rivals, next year's class, which has about 10 schollies left to fill, already contains MORE 2 star recruits than we had total in 2010, 2011, and 2013!). We are also trending downward when it comes to landing blue chip recruits. 0 of our 16 commits are 4 stars or higher, and overall, only 1 of our last 41 commits have been 4 star.

I'll make a very conservative over/under to see who puts their money where their mouth is on this supposed "recruiting momentum" that Kirk and crew are generating. First, who believes we end up with under 9 two star recruits (which would still be the highest number this decade)? I am betting OVER. Who is betting that we end up with more than one 4 star commit (which is still less than 2010, 2011, and 2012). I am betting UNDER.

For comparison:

2016 - 6 two stars; 0 four stars
2015 - 7 two stars; 1 four stars [Daniels]
2014 - 7 two stars; 2 four stars [Scheel, Wiegers]
2013 - 5 two stars; 0 four stars
2012 - 5 two stars; 4 four stars [Garmon, Ekakatie, Ward, Johnson]
2011 - 5 two stars; 4 four stars [Walsh, Hamilton, Coe, Blythe]
2010 - 5 two stars; 4 four stars [Coker, Derby (NFL), Donnal (NFL), Fiedorowicz (NFL)]

840069_LA_Troll.jpg

I see JD lets trolls go fishing around here now.

Anyone know when the last time imported posted something substantive? He has thousands of posts, but they seldom are relevant or even related to sports at all. Perhaps he would be better off going to soap opera message boards and adding nothing there?

Whenever it was was, at very worst, it's "infinity" percentage over the number of times YOU have posted something "substantive". So there's that...

I think it would be a fun experiment one time to have OSU, Alabama, FLA offer a player who does not even start on his high school team to see how many stars he would then receive. I know the services try to evaluate players but some of this is who offers and where the school offering falls in the pecking order.

You're just NOW discovered this?

In today's Des Moines Register, Tom Lemming talked about the star system. He said he himself helped create it and he called it "bogus". He said it's purely based on how many offers a recruit gets from high level schools. In other words, it's not based on any objective analysis of a player's skills.

Perhaps Iowa has just noticed earlier than other schools the talent level of the recruits and gives them an offer that they end up accepting. Should other BCS schools then offer them, momentum will build up and suddenly some of these 2-star guys will become 3-star ones.

Kirk and staff haven't hit on every low ranked recruit but all in all they've been pretty good at spotting talent and I'm optimistic about this class big time.

Are people really convincing themselves that "stars don't matter?" Are hawk fans so insecure and so in love with Kirk that they believe that if a kid commits to iowa, he's a 2 star, but if he commits to OSU, he jumps to a 4 star? This is like talking to conspiracy theorists who believe man never landed on the moon and George W ordered 9/11. News flash...these are the teams that had top 10 recruiting classes in 2013:

Alabama, OSU, LSU, Ol Miss, UCLA, Auburn, FSU
. All of them finished in the top 10 in 2015.

These are all schools that had down years in the past decade, and all teams who climbed back to the top after having recruiting classes with HIGH star rankings. They got highly touted kids who everyone else wanted...the kids didn't suddenly become highly touted just because they committed to their school.

These are the schools that finished in the 50s in recruiting in 2013, along with Iowa:

Purdue, Iowa State, Northwestern, Washington State, Wake Forest, Marshall. All of them finished at best in the 50s in 2015.

Any questions?

Any questions?

Yes, I have several.

1) Who is your original dirty thirty tag?
2) How many other current alts are you running on this site
3) Why does a Clown fan like you constantly post on HN?
4) Are you actually saying that Iowa should pull in as high a quality players as 'Bama, OSU, Florida St., LSU and Auburn?
5) Do you really think it takes star rankings to figure out that 'Bama, OSU, Florida St., LSU and Auburn are gonna pull in better players than Purdue, ISU, jNW, Washington St., Wake Forest, and Marshall?
6) Do you intentionally try to be stupid, or is it just what happens naturally for you?

Those are questions just off the top of my head. I reserve the right to ask additional questions later.

Go on over to Hawk Central and take a look at the latest on Iowa football recruiting and the myth of the star system. Makes Law's nonsense and outright lies even more glaring.

How is it a myth of our below average recruiting classes are directly reflecting our performance on the field these past 5 years?

Latest posts